Why become a member? ×

Ashdown amps

Halfmanhalfbiscuit

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1347434614' post='1800636']
Not sure what the change is Geoff but its got the sub-octave and compression on it as far as I know :-)
[/quote]

As I understand it, from the very beginning of time they had the Sub Octave, then the Evo 2 introduced the compressor. The very recently introduced Evo 3 adds a variable valve drive emulator (although not a real valve as in the ABM series), the control is situated directly alongside the Sub Octave control.

I could be wrong, I could be right.

Geoff

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1347429986' post='1800599']
Don't know if they would be gig worthy, but they sound niiiiiice!
[/quote]

yeh ive tried one at a practice studio but it was a 210, it was vey quiet so im guess it was one of the 250w versions.

im looking into getting one to put atop of my 1153 cab to have a 215 stack but be much more easy to move around but looking at it all the 500w 115 ashdown combos seem to be being disconntinued?

andy

I've played a few and they have all delivered the goods, i had a Superfly for a while too, bought it new but never totally trusted it (i read a whole bunch of reviews before buying so went into the deal with open eyes) i loved the tone of the Superfly and the programmable EQ was excellent but it started getting noisy (high pitched whine) so i got the SWR Headlite instead and gave the Superfly away (to a friend who was starting out, i explained the amps shortcomings before i let him take it away).

I'd go for a ABM if you can, they seem to be pretty bulletproof and Ashdown have a first rate reputation for customer service. quite a few of the practice rooms round here have Ashdown rigs and if they can survive that abuse then they can survive anything.

the main thing is to buy from the classifieds here, you won't get better value from anywhere else! (and if you collect in person from the seller you might get a nice cup of tea and a biscuit while you try it out!)

Mat

Well I think they're great, I added a 115 cad to get the full 300 watt, overdrive controll is a little 'metal' for me. I use a sans amp di for the drive but I do use the overdrive on the amp to add more mids. I have a practice amp that has been a bit dodgy and customer support has been very good. First time the practice amp failed they paid for carriage! Great sound for blues!

I've used an Abm 4x10 500w combo with an Abm 115 300w cab since 2000. Never any problems. Mega trouser flap!!
I recently bought the Abm 2x10 500w combo and sold the bigger one as I suffer with a dodgy back. same bone crushing sound
but lighter. Small gigs I just use the combo, large gigs I add the 1x15. mine is the old UK built Celestion speaker version. 12 years old and never missed a beat.
Not keen on the new made in China stuff. ;)

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1347481805' post='1801540']
In which case I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions about it, when you've had a chance to get used to it and give it some exercise.

Cheers

Geoff
[/quote]

It arrived yesterday Geoff. :) I'm a novice but I'm running it full input, half EQ all 5 knobs, half compression, almost half overdrive and quarter output and most of my notes aren't going into the red on the level meter. I didn't like the sub-harmonics much but it seemed ok on about a quarter. The deep button seemed a little too much for my P Bass. I used a LoMenzo distortion pedal too on these settings and it was good, not too much.My MAG 410T cab is supposed to have a switchable tweeter but for the life of me I can't find a switch :huh: I don't know how to get the best from the Amp so I'd be interested in any advice. The valve/tube emulator is linked to the overdrive and there isn't a separate button for this, its just the overdrive button. There's a funny looking plastic polo mint type hole on the back of the cab next to the cable in hole and I'm not sure what thats about :ph34r: I had to take the clock off the wall and the old lady said that the kitchen lights below are flickering. :D

[IMG]http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt260/ukflamesey/DSCN2455_zpsc5ccaced.jpg[/IMG]

[attachment=119133:IMG_1325.jpg]

So, here we are from last night then.

You will notice that the input was set to passive, and all the EQ is set flat. Pre shape scoop filter not engaged (button set "push to flat".

Used the valve drive on some songs, and the sub on a couple of numbers too.

Sounds wicked. Massive and fat and warm and thumpy.

Bass is a modded MTD Kingston KZ4 - with USA barts and the US Bart preamp.

You will also notice that the volume is on half way. And to be fair, it was loud but not THAT loud. Pushing much beyond this had little effect. Plenty loud enough though, but not as massive as you might expect (4 ohm load so all the power). Certainly, into an 8 ohm ashdown 4 by 10 it was no quieter.

And as an aside, my little GK MB200 (200w into 4 ohms) is about as loud.

Big stage though, and I could hear myself just fine.

I am pondering looking for an ABM 900, although I don't think you can bridge them.

Anyway, all is good. If my cabs sell, I will get an ABM 410. And maybe a 210 to go on top. That should do it.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1347176151' post='1797592']
Passive basses do sound fantastic through these amps.
[/quote]
I wouldn't argue with that but I've used an active bass too through Ashdown with lovely results.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1347176151' post='1797592']
If you are looking for a big trouser shaking tone then you can't go wrong with an Ashdown.
[/quote]
Again, I wouldn't argue but if, like me, you were looking for a non trouser shaking tone then Ashdown can do that too.

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1348426660' post='1813514']
[attachment=119133:IMG_1325.jpg]

So, here we are from last night then.

You will notice that the input was set to passive, and all the EQ is set flat. Pre shape scoop filter not engaged (button set "push to flat".

Used the valve drive on some songs, and the sub on a couple of numbers too.

Sounds wicked. Massive and fat and warm and thumpy.

Bass is a modded MTD Kingston KZ4 - with USA barts and the US Bart preamp.

You will also notice that the volume is on half way. And to be fair, it was loud but not THAT loud. Pushing much beyond this had little effect. Plenty loud enough though, but not as massive as you might expect (4 ohm load so all the power). Certainly, into an 8 ohm ashdown 4 by 10 it was no quieter.

And as an aside, my little GK MB200 (200w into 4 ohms) is about as loud.

Big stage though, and I could hear myself just fine.

I am pondering looking for an ABM 900, although I don't think you can bridge them.

Anyway, all is good. If my cabs sell, I will get an ABM 410. And maybe a 210 to go on top. That should do it.
[/quote]

You should have a look at this - http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?section=abm&ID=265

Same size as ABM 500 and same pre but with loads of power and less weight, I was talking to Mark Gooday about it recently and he said frankly that it scared him the first time he tested it, 1000 watts true RMS 2000 peak! Seriously thinking long term one of these should replace my Klystron...

[quote name='phatbass787' timestamp='1348477458' post='1813923']
You should have a look at this - [url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?section=abm&ID=265"]http://www.ashdownmu...tion=abm&ID=265[/url]

Same size as ABM 500 and same pre but with loads of power and less weight, I was talking to Mark Gooday about it recently and he said frankly that it scared him the first time he tested it, 1000 watts true RMS 2000 peak! Seriously thinking long term one of these should replace my Klystron...
[/quote]

Is it a class D PSU? if so, I am not so sure - my ABM 500 is old school heavy tech, and the lightweight PSU might not offer the same sound and feel..

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1348479076' post='1813953']
Is it a class D PSU? if so, I am not so sure - my ABM 500 is old school heavy tech, and the lightweight PSU might not offer the same sound and feel..
[/quote]

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/175997-ashdown-abm1000/

I'd like to try out an ABM1000, but can't find anywhere in the South Easst that has them in stock - they seem to be on special order.

I've messed about with too many amps recently (inc Micro VR, Ampeg PF, Terror Bass, MiBass etc), eventually realising that the ABM is the one for me. Ok, it weighs 14kg but its the tone, the sound, the depth that none of the others could give. Maybe i just haven't tried the right Class D for me yet.

I just love the ABM preamp stage. And I have to admit the 500 is more than loud enough for me into a single BF Compact - so the 1000 would be overkill. However, at less than 10kg it is very tempting. Just need to try before I buy...

As an aside, I had a UK made MAG600 before the ABM500 which I regret selling, to be honest. The MAG eq frequencies were spot on for my tone, and easier to manage than the ABM I reckon. However I've got to know and love the ABM now - but I wouldn't mind trying one of the new MAG600 EVO 3 models. Just not convinced the valve emulated overdrive will match the true valve of the ABM.

Cheers

Geoff

Edited by RandomBass

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1348489341' post='1814181']

I just love the ABM preamp stage. And I have to admit the 500 is more than loud enough for me into a single BF Compact - so the 1000 would be overkill. However, at less than 10kg it is very tempting. Just need to try before I buy...

[/quote]

If you don't genuinely need the extra power, its a big cash upgrade for the sake of saving just 4lbs. Think of all that ale you could drink instead. That's how I get through it.... :unsure:

[quote name='BluRay' timestamp='1348496408' post='1814312']
If you don't genuinely need the extra power, its a big cash upgrade for the sake of saving just 4lbs. Think of all that ale you could drink instead. That's how I get through it.... :unsure:
[/quote]

Actually it would be a 4kg saving - but either way, I like your style, young man....

Edited by RandomBass

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1348413362' post='1813294']
It arrived yesterday Geoff. :) I'm a novice but I'm running it full input, half EQ all 5 knobs, half compression, almost half overdrive and quarter output and most of my notes aren't going into the red on the level meter. I didn't like the sub-harmonics much but it seemed ok on about a quarter. The deep button seemed a little too much for my P Bass. I used a LoMenzo distortion pedal too on these settings and it was good, not too much.My MAG 410T cab is supposed to have a switchable tweeter but for the life of me I can't find a switch :huh: I don't know how to get the best from the Amp so I'd be interested in any advice. The valve/tube emulator is linked to the overdrive and there isn't a separate button for this, its just the overdrive button. There's a funny looking plastic polo mint type hole on the back of the cab next to the cable in hole and I'm not sure what thats about :ph34r: I had to take the clock off the wall and the old lady said that the kitchen lights below are flickering. :D

[/quote]

So young man, how are you getting on with this MAG Evo3? I'm very curious to know how it is working out for you. How does the overdrive sound on this? Is it 'realisitc' enough?

Cheers

Geoff

Hi Geoff , I ran it with the 4x10 and it sounded really warm, half compression and half overdrive. I don't use the bass or trebble boost buttons. Not sure what overdrive sounds like really but to me it sounds like the notes are emphasised more. Half seems fine for that. I added a 15 cab and now it's really powerful and the 15 adds to the bottom end. I'm running it at about an eighth and it's loud enough. I stuck it on half and the room was shaking :-) not sure what it will sound like when I do my first gig with just the 15 cab... Expect it won't sound as good as just the 410 but a lot deeper in sound. Really pleased with it though. Think I've got all I will need for a good while except gas for basses and pedals :-D