Why become a member? ×

My Crap Bass

wishface

I don't own a very good instrument, unfortunately. At least that's how it feels. It's made by Spector, but i couldn't tell you waht the model is (it has no number and i've long forgotten). It was cheap.

The problem I have specifically is that the bass feels 'wrong' when I wear it. It's as if the weight is off centre. Playing around and above the 12th fret is uncomfortable as a result. it doesn't matter whether I have it high or low (usually high because it's uncomfortable to play when slung low anyway). The neck feels a bit too wide, and although I've lowered the action considerably (it was never that high) the E string (4 string) feels heavy and high on the neck, exacerbating the 12th fret issue. In fact it's really the E string that's problematic. The intonation, high, isn't great, but that's to be expected with cheap instruments.

The reason I post this isn't to have a moan; there's nothing I can do about it anyway I certainly can't afford a better instrument and liklely never will. But it's to try and get some feedback on those problems. I would love to know whether my performance and development are limited by me or the instrument (or both). At least if I knew those sorts of issues were solely the purview of cheap instruments that would be a help. Conversely if I knew I had a rock solid instrument I would know that whatever problems I have as a player were thigns I could work on and practice.

If that makes any sense.

I don't really know the answer to this, but my gut feeling is that the 'groove' can live in an elastic band, let alone a many-thousand-pound wonder-bass... Seriously, I've been moved to dance to someone slapping a shoebox with feeling.

The 'problems' (such as they may be) are probably lack of practice/groove and not much to do with the instrument...

Keep playing, the groove can be released by someone bashing the table top with a biro.... :)

If the neck feels too wide for you then there's not a lot you can do about that, but the other issues could be addressed fairly easily.
I'd be surprised if the intonation couldn't be sorted out; even the cheap import Spector basses have a good reputation.
E string feels "Heavy"? - try using a lighter gauge of string.
The balance thing could be remedied by moving the strap button.

Where do you live? Maybe a forum member that lives close to you could take a look at your bass or recommend somebody local to you who could.

A new set of strings can sometimes make a hell of a lot of difference....it'll give you a chance to clean the bass - the neck and fretboard in particular. Also look for a luthier (or BCer) nearby who can look to set the bass up for you so that it's easier to play, with a lower action and to make sure the intonation is right. You might also want to learn some new riffs - get a feel going rather than just playing the notes.

Lastly question why you are learning to play...if you're committed to it then you just need to keep at it..learning to play is full of "Eureka moments" - it will come if you persist..

Could you post a picture of the bass? One of the Spector guys should be able to identify it for you and then a trip to Harmony Central/google should reveal any design issues. I began on a Warwick Rockbass which should? be a similar shape and I had no issues other than I couldn't slap it - don't know to this day if it was my technique or the instrument (there's been others i've had that didn't work for slap but it's not my style anyway so not matter!!).

Edited by Schnozzalee

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1346790191' post='1793382']
Should be OK shouldn't it that Spector? I can see you are a man of similar Warwick taste lowdowner!
[/quote]

Mark - at bassdirect - told me that once I got bored or Warwick and was looking for a 'real' bass I should go back to him and try a spector (or a roscoe funnily enough).

I still think the bass brand is - largely - immaterial - compared to ability :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1346789776' post='1793370']
I never had Spectors down as cheap? trade it for a Squier Jazz bass on here and be done with ya!
[/quote]

Is that better? I don't know.I am not familiar with Spector as a make. But it has the Spector logo and name, but that's all. It's got a single EMG pickup and the body is a light orangey caramel colour. The shape is a regular shape, goes up to about 24 frets. Sound is ok, but it doesn't have any of the flashy features, just a tone and volume pot. It's a bassic bass. :D

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1346790493' post='1793393']
A new set of strings can sometimes make a hell of a lot of difference....it'll give you a chance to clean the bass -  the neck and fretboard in particular. Also look for a luthier (or BCer) nearby who can look to set the bass up for you so that it's easier to play, with a lower action and to make sure the intonation is right. You might also want to learn some new riffs - get a feel going rather than just playing the notes.

Lastly question why you are learning to play...if you're committed to it then you just need to keep at it..learning to play is full of "Eureka moments" - it will come if you persist..
[/quote]

I did all that recently. I didn't have much choice over what strings to buy since the price of bass strings rockets each time I replace them. I think the intonation went (only a little) years ago when I first replaced the strings. I don't know why since that's all I did. I have never monkeyed around with majkor adjustments, just replacing strings and lowering the action. I use a medium guage set. It's just the E string feels 'out'. I don't know if it's normal for it to feel hard to play at the 12th fret, but that string in particular feels high and heavy at that point so there's a lot of noise when I try to play. Of course I practice to try and compensate for that, but I would like to know if that's something that shouldn't be there.I don't know any luthiers, and I can't be paying people I haven't got any money. I live in the west country.

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1346790732' post='1793397']
Mark - at bassdirect - told me that once I got bored or Warwick and was looking for a 'real' bass I should go back to him and try a spector (or a roscoe funnily enough).

I still think the bass brand is - largely - immaterial - compared to ability :)
[/quote]

The brand might well be, I'm not criticising Spector at all, but this instrument isn't a particularly super duper bass. It's quite possible that Spector make cheap basses aimed at beginners as well as high end instruments.

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1346790685' post='1793396']
Could you post a picture of the bass? One of the Spector guys should be able to identify it for you and then a trip to Harmony Central/google should reveal any design issues. I began on a Warwick Rockbass which should? be a similar shape and I had no issues other than I couldn't slap it - don't know to this day if it was my technique or the instrument (there's been others i've had that didn't work for slap but it's not my style anyway so not matter!!).
[/quote]

I'd love to own a warwick. They always look really good and the sound people like TM Stevens get (never mind his style) is awesome. Same for Jack Bruce. I knew a guy that had a Wal, it was a heavy bass. If I can find a camera of some kind I'll try and take a picture, but I'm the only person alive that doesn't own a mobile phone.

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1346795047' post='1793483']
I did all that recently. I didn't have much choice over what strings to buy since the price of bass strings rockets each time I replace them. I think the intonation went (only a little) years ago when I first replaced the strings. I don't know why since that's all I did. I have never monkeyed around with majkor adjustments, just replacing strings and lowering the action. I use a medium guage set. It's just the E string feels 'out'. I don't know if it's normal for it to feel hard to play at the 12th fret, but that string in particular feels high and heavy at that point so there's a lot of noise when I try to play. Of course I practice to try and compensate for that, but I would like to know if that's something that shouldn't be there.I don't know any luthiers, and I can't be paying people I haven't got any money. I live in the west country.
[/quote]

The intonation is out because it will need to be re set up when you change the strings- I can set up a £50 bass to intonate properly, your one is far higher quality than that. The Height of the E string also possibly needs altering.
To a lesser extent the way you wind the strings onto the headstock can change the tension slightly.
The relief of the neck is also important.

As for the balance... how do you hold the bass? is your left hand thumb resting on the centre of the neck and when playing are both wrists relaxed and more or less straight?

I think, if I were to guess, that you have a badly set up bass played with bad technique. a lesson with someone who can set your bass up and give some tips on playing may help

If you have no money, and can't make contact with a fellow BC member in the South West, then you could probably do a reasonable set-up on the bass yourself. It's not difficult, and only very basic tools are needed.

Have a search through the repairs and technical issues section of this forum and the answers should be there for you.

I'd do it myself but there is the small matter of about 400 miles between us! :)

As others have said though, I don't think there is such a thing as a rubbish Spector.

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1346830004' post='1793638']
Here is the best i can manage with a ropey old webcam I borrowed. Anyone that can identify the instrument from this deserves a medal.
[/quote]
It seems to be the same as the one I linked to earlier.

Import Instruments produced under license in the People's Republic of China

MODEL
NS-2000B™

DETAILS
Bolt-on flat body version of
[i][b]NS-20004™ Body Shape [/b] [/i] [list]
[*]Single Passive Humbucking Pickup
[*]Passive EQ
[*]One Piece Neck
[*]Chrome Bridge mounted flat on body (no routing).
[/list]

YEARS PRODUCED
1997-1998

TOTAL PRODUCTION
Unknown

ORIGINAL LIST
$479.00

Edited by Musky

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1346798235' post='1793524']
Is it like one of these?

Looking around the Spector website it seems that they only did a few single pickup models. It should be a decent enough bass, just in need of a setup.
[/quote]

That looks about right, just a different colour (and less shiny :D)
[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1346798455' post='1793525']
Where are you?
[/quote]
In the west country.
[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1346801906' post='1793553']
The intonation is out because it will need to be re set up when you change the strings- I can set up a £50 bass to intonate properly, your one is far higher quality than that. The Height of the E string also possibly needs altering.
To a lesser extent the way you wind the strings onto the headstock can change the tension slightly.
The relief of the neck is also important.

As for the balance... how do you hold the bass? is your left hand thumb resting on the centre of the neck and when playing are both wrists relaxed and more or less straight?

I think, if I were to guess, that you have a badly set up bass played with bad technique. a lesson with someone who can set your bass up and give some tips on playing may help
[/quote]I lowered the strings recently (when I cleaned it all up to get back into practicing properly and changed the strings), they're as low as they are going to get sans fret buzz. Again it's the E that's problematic. I would like to try a lighter guage, just to see, but strings at the music shop in town (Bristol) are quite dear (i asked what his cheapest set was and he said £18). Not here to complain about being a pauper, that's just how it is.
When I play my right hand is around the pickup as it anchors on it for playing the E. Sometimes I anchor on the end of the neck. I rarely play nearer the bridge. Both hands are relaxed, i have fortunately never suffered from wrist strain or the like. The neck is perhaps wider than I would now choose, but that isn't fixable. My left thumb doesn't come over and is centred. However when I move up the neck the thumb moves into a more horizontal position pointing toward the headstock and is further from the fretting fingers because that's the only way my fingers can access the neck at that height. I can't really see how anyone could play otherwise unless they had a very unusual shaped hand! I'm not sure how to display this.

Now that I have webcam fever here is a picture, as best i could take while holding the instrument, of how my left hand looks. I usually play sat down, for the reasons explained earlier. The instrument is also quite heavy for me. The notes fingered are separated by an octave on the D string, to be clear.

[attachment=117533:thumb playing regular.jpg][attachment=117534:thumb playing high.jpg]