Why become a member? ×

Where To Find a Keyboardist

Low End Bee

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1346331970' post='1787950']
Occasional....??

Go and pick-up/nick one from another band. That way you'll know they can play and you cut down the time-wasting auditions type things
[/quote]

Good call. I might try that. Although I was kind of looking forward to the guilty pleasure of incompatible nutters turning up for auditions.

Why occasional? Well the three of us have been together in this and the last band for 6 years now. We could gig with or without them and we're not totally sure it would be a benefit to the sound yet. There would have to be a probation period before we'd offer full member status. We're wary after a seemingly reasonable chap turned total mentalist in the previous line up.
Plus knocking my songwriting credits from a third to a quarter could cost me upwards of 20p a year.

I know the keys player I'd like in my prog rock band - he's very very good, nice bloke, likes all the right kind of music but he's too busy earning better money than he could get for playing with me.

I play guitar in the function band I'm in, and keys on a few numbers. I think keys fills out the sound a lot, and the songs where I use them would sound very empty without. There's a lot of songs we do that would benefit from the addition of keys, but the other guitarist and the rhythm section they seem to tune them out when listening to the originals, they hear the guitar bass & drum parts and are sometimes surprised when I tell them there's keys in there as well.

What I'm cautious of is someone 'filling out' the sound. I like the spaces and we're good on the dynamics.
My only previous experience with a keys person was a bloke who played the melody line with his right hand and my bass parts with his left all the way through the songs. He was technically brilliant but it sounded bloody awful for the two rehearsals he lasted. Just the odd interesting noise would do me.

That`s the thing about keyboardist`s. You are looking for the odd intresting noise whilst most of the ones I have met/played with/auditioned either play all over the top of everyone else or sound like Billy Smart`s circus`s organ player.

And most of them were twonk headed "musicians."

Edited by jezzaboy

When I used to drum for a 3-piece, the bassist would always tell me that he would never play alongside keys because of the drowning out of the bass.

His thing was 'if you've got a keys player, you don't want a bassist'!

TBH, it's something that I now always stick to.....playing with one certainly made it tricky to find my space....

With a full 88 keyboard they might want to get down the register once or twice so you sort that out pretty quick and if he doesn't get it...you have the wrong
player.
You want a piano player over a keyboard player but with that you'll likely get a very active and educated left hand... but if he has done band work before, he'll
know not to step on toes.
A good muscian isn't an oblivious musician

• 2 months later...

If you want it to be kept completely live and it is 'occasional interesting noises' rather than complicated lines then there is always the midi pedals with sound module route, did that in my last 3 piece band. It needn't look all prog rock. Most gigs people didn't even realise what I was doing with my feet as the wedge monitor masks them pretty well.