Why become a member? ×

Westbury Track 2 - vital statistics, anyone?

Paul S

I am currently watching with interest a Westbury Track 2 on eBay. There is something about those vaguely SG shaped, double cutaway basses I find appealing. I've done a search of the forums here and discovered they are good quality, Matsumoku built, prone to head dive, a lot of peoples' first bass that they wish they'd never sold etc etc

But what I can't find reference to anywhere are some specific things. Does anyone have one that could measure
a/ the weight
b/ the width of the neck at the nut?
and
c/ is there any routing under the scratchplate or could it be removed?

Failing that, any comparisons? - I have read 'lighter than a Washburn Scavenger' but, then again, so is my car. :)

ta!

I nearly bought one, a couple of years ago - nothing wrong with the bass,
he just wanted too much and wouldn't budge! :blink:

From memory, it was a bit head heavy - punchy sound, neck more P than
J - Sort of Gibson ish, if that makes any sense.
I'm almost certain it was long scale, although it looks like it should be medium scale.
I don't remember it being heavy but as I play various T-40's, it would have felt light, anyway!! :lol:
Don't know about the routing.

I think Jon (Bassassin) had one of these and liked it.

Don't think they fetch huge money - apart from the one I was trying to buy! :D

Cheers. :)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1346319852' post='1787766'][D]one a search of the forums here and discovered they are good quality[/quote]
I'd have to disagree about that assessment. Definitely at the bottom of the scale, quality-wise, for production from Matsumoku. Certainly built to a price point, which shows. Usual b*llsh*t about all these coming with DiMarzio pickups, etc, etc. Matsumoku's own, in-house pickups, or stuff sourced sourced from Maxon. Personally, at anything more that £50, I wouldn't waste your money.

Ah, ok, thanks. Although I do think I set my sights rather lower than you do, Noel. :)

Just out of curiosity, how would you rate one of these compared to, say, Ario Pro II Cardinal series? Or one of the JapCrap/Epiphone SG shapes?

Hi Paul

I have a Track 4 - which is the same body / neck as the Track 2 but with double split P pups. Weight is a tad under 11lbs - it actually feels heavier because the (walnut?) body is quite small and all that weight is packed into a small, thick body. It doesn't neck dive and is actually pretty comfy played standing, but the location of the cutaways does makes it dive when played sitting down.

The neck is 1 & 5/8" at the nut, so very close to a current P bass neck. Its also very thick front-to-back - even more so than a current USA P. Personally, I always really liked the neck, even though I have quite small hands.

Haven't had the guard off in ages - from memory I think it was fairly clean under there.

Bass is definitely long scale.

Will try and post a couple of pics on here in the next day or two.

You've prbly already found this but in case not: http://www.bgra.net/2004/review.php?id=2047&type=bass

HTH,

Mark

Edited by mickster

Mark, many thanks. That is just the info I was looking for - don't worry about pics, you have told me all I need to know - too heavy, neck too big! I have reasonably big hands but favour slim necks and my back won't let me wear heavy basses for long.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1346330334' post='1787925']
I'd have to disagree about that assessment. Definitely at the bottom of the scale, quality-wise, for production from Matsumoku. Certainly built to a price point, which shows. [b]Usual b*llsh*t about all these coming with DiMarzio pickups[/b], etc, etc. Matsumoku's own, in-house pickups, or stuff sourced sourced from Maxon. Personally, at anything more that £50, I wouldn't waste your money.
[/quote]
Are you sure about that? They were definitely advertised as coming with DiMarzios, even using the DiMarzio logo IIRC. That's not to say that perhaps earlier/later models weren't fitted with something else though.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1346447424' post='1789485']
Are you sure about that? They were definitely advertised as coming with DiMarzios, even using the DiMarzio logo IIRC. That's not to say that perhaps earlier/later models weren't fitted with something else though.
[/quote]

Yeah, I was always under impression they were real DiMarzios too. Will maybe pull one to have a look for any ID marks...

• 1 year later...

Missed this thread at the time, but some interesting assertions/opinions being expressed!

I have two Westburys - a Track Two and a Westy Standard guitar. Normally I'd say Noelk27 is the man to listen to in terms of this era of MIJ instruments, but his view here doesn't concur with my experience. Pickups are DiMarzio, as several respondents have already said - afaik they were across the range. While build quality isn't as stellar as, say SB series Aria Pros or the high-end Washburns, they are far from being tat - bodies are solid timber, mahogany according to the catalogue, iirc, hardware is mostly decent - apart from that 3-point bridge which bends & cracks after a few decades' string tension.

The Track 2 & Track IV are, despite being aesthetically similar, entirely different basses. The 2 is a simple, bolt-neck, slab body design while the IV has a carved arch top and set-neck construction. I'd assume (having never played one) that the IV is somewhat heavier, and as that extra weight's in the body, maybe a little less prone to neck-dive.

Anyway, for good measure, here's my Westbury Synchro Pair:

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:64632]

Jon.

It's been a long time but back in the late 70's/ early 80's I took a jigsaw to a track two bass and the equivalent 6 string guitar to form a demountable twin neck ala mike Rutherford's demountable Sheregold.
I seem to remember that the body core was indeed mahogany but there was a thin layer of ply on the front and back. This was similar construction to an Antoria precision that I still have. DiMarzio pickups for sure and they were decent, workhorse type instruments.

Cheers

Ed