Why become a member? ×

Plexiglass Precision - FINISHED! Phone Pics Added.

AndyTravis

Just Fantastic really.

Great fun doing this - And the end result is exactly as expected...

A REALLY HEAVY PRECISION BASS YOU CAN SEE THINGS THROUGH.

It sounds great, plays well, and is totally useable.

I've not decided on the tug bar yet...I think it would look cool, but every time I have had them on basses, they end up bugging me; It was bought because I thought it would look cool...not because I needed it.

The Celinder/Armstrong is a fantastic pickup - The KiOgon wiring kit was a pleasure to fit, and really is a fantastic bit of kit.

The Pickguard was really special, and with some expected fine-tuning fit's really well, and looks the part. Thanks to The Bass Doc.

Things I'd do Differently? Nah. It is what it is, and i'm glad i've done it.

Debating chasing another AXL to do and Entwistle version. But, for now, this is plenty.

Thanks for all the help, advice and following this.

Happy to answer any questions.

Trav
x

[quote name='sebastian747' timestamp='1350596148' post='1841178']
Hi all glad you dig my Plexiglass early 50's P, i've built a few of these, Ive been experimenting with a see through neck...without success as yet. I have made see through knobs if you look on the website there are pictures.
Andy, lovin yours looks great...hard work though init.
[/quote]

Yeah, and it stinks whenever you shape or drill it...

The early 50's style one is gorgeous, do you have any pics of the finished article?

Thanks

Andy

Ok chaps let me enlighten you all with the Charlie Jones Basses. Im a lucky chap I work with CJ so have all the gory details for ya. So Ben at Crimson embarked on an experiment to built CJ another plexi bass, but it was an experiment.
They actually had the plastic cast and the glitter put into it, oh and the truss rods set into it as well to try and build a fully see through bass. Even though it kinda looked cool, it just did not work the neck moved all over the place. Just a learning curve i guess. They in fact built two glitter basses i have one here as i write, wooden neck but it was a bit to Ibanez in the neck for CJ so he continues to play the NG P bass. So there you are if you want any other info building em cutting em polishing them ask away.
Incidentally Ben at Crimson is very skilled builder, and has made some very cool stuff well worth looking at.

Edited by sebastian747

Andy in reply to your last post, Yeah i do ...I have a pile of pictures of the neck build, which is a combo of Plexi & timber, like Charlies. Scarf Jointed, very cool i also sculpted the body to get the weight down as much as poss, Workshop is busy at mo but when i get some time ill dig the pix out and post em. Im about to do another glass build so I might diary it here as well.

Edited by sebastian747

[quote name='sebastian747' timestamp='1350666462' post='1842093']
Andy in reply to your last post, Yeah i do ...I have a pile of pictures of the neck build, which is a combo of Plexi & timber, like Charlies. Scarf Jointed, very cool i also sculpted the body to get the weight down as much as poss, Workshop is busy at mo but when i get some time ill dig the pix out and post em. Im about to do another glass build so I might diary it here as well.
[/quote]

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Would be great to talk more - feel I've just been 'playing' at the Plexi bass game.

Would love an all Plexi 51 type. Intrigued!