Why become a member? ×

Which bass for the "Jaco" sound...

Sparkl

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1346182189' post='1786264']
If I recall correctly, according to Bass Player Magazine , the sunburst Jazz Bass in the the video did indeed belong to Jaco. The maple 70s P bass neck was a temporary substitute whilst Kevin Kaufman mended the original neck after Jaco had damaged it somehow . Its worth mentionig that Jaco had more than one Jazz Bass, and that this bass is not neccesarilly the "bass of doom".
[/quote]

According to this article,Jaco states that it's not his bass in the video.

[url="http://www.ricksuchow.com/press-group-200.html"]http://www.ricksucho...-group-200.html[/url]

Edit..I also read the article in BP saying it was Jaco's,but I'm more inclined to believe the interview with
Jaco at the time of the video.

Edited by Doddy

I don't recall him saying that it's not his in the video (I haven't got it to hand - it's my sons - a present I bought him a few years back!) - he definitely talks about the Precision neck and exercising his fingers - he says he sometimes fits them to improve his technique, or something similar.

I was aware he had more than one Jazz bass (there's a stripped fretted one shown on the live solo album) - however the one in this video looks to be his stock modded sunburst one (ie the latterday named bass of doom), but fitted with a maple Precision neck.

One other thing he talks about in this instructional video is the reason he doesn't use a Precision - all to do with the sound possibilities, and overtones IIRC - he's rather dismissive of the idea. I couldn't recommend more highly getting a copy of this - awesome playing on display, and lots of insights into technique and practicing routines, even though Jaco is a little flaky at times, the playing generally is not - and if only to see Jaco chuck his bass to Kenwood Dennard, the drummer, on the final note after one of the live pieces - and Kenwood actually catching it - the next shot is Jemmott interviewing Dennard - first question (with said bass propped up against the drums in the background) - what's it like playing with Jaco - long pause for thought - Dennard says it can be interesting, very interesting - still looking visibly shocked and bemused by the preceeding event!!

It appears Jaco was bought a Fender Jazz by his parents when he was a kid - on the Jaco tribute compilation album, amongst some interesting photos is a picture of him as a kid holding a brand new sunburst Fender Jazz complete with ashtrays. My guess is that this was his main bass from then onwards - becoming the heavily bashed and modified version of 15 to 20 years later.

Edited by drTStingray

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1346191396' post='1786446']

It appears Jaco was bought a Fender Jazz by his parents when he was a kid - on the Jaco tribute compilation album, amongst some interesting photos is a picture of him as a kid holding a brand new sunburst Fender Jazz complete with ashtrays. My guess is that this was his main bass from then onwards - becoming the heavily bashed and modified version of 15 to 20 years later.
[/quote]

First, i agree with you drTStingray about having this Jaco Pastorius Modern Bass DVD.
As a suprising example, Jaco tells why he never praticed with a fretless.

About this picture with teenager Jaco holding a brand new Jazz Bass :
This JB is a 1966 instrument with pearloïd blocks, lilipop tuners and a specific sunburst (yellow very visible). It has a CBS era look.

The two Jaco's most famous sunburst basses are :
The Bass of Doom is a 1962 jazz Bass sunburst. Jaco made it a homemade lined fretless with clay dots.

From Fender's site :
" Nicknamed by Pastorius himself, the Bass of Doom was a stock 1962 Fender Jazz Bass, purchased at a pawnshop in the early 1970s. Pastorius originally removed the frets with a butter knife, filling the slots and missing chunks with “plastic wood” and covering the fingerboard with several coats of boat epoxy. This “customized” bass would be the only fretless instrument Pastorius would ever record with."

His other sunburst is a 1960 fretted JB. He also removed pickguard and concentric Stackknobs ( replaced by a 3 knobs set giving more punch according to Jaco). The neck has also clay dots.
This fretted Bass can be heard in "Portrait of Tracy", sublime harmonics.

Both of these 2 basses can be seen in Joni Mitchell's Live "Shadows & Light"

I hope it will help.

Edited by Emanew

[i]Now what do you recommend? I would really like to have that buttery bridge "jaco" style tone, but also have that grunt and attack when switching both pups up. From what I hear, Sandbergs really do their job in this section, they always sound so mean. And their bridge tone also seems to be amazing (I'm from slovenia and noone sells sands here so I have to rely on YT vids), but what bothers me, that their JBass, the California TT4 version does not include a dotted neck. Which I find disturbing since I am very used to have those dots on.[/i]

Getting fret markers fitted is a simple job for a luthier, and wont cost the earth, so if that's the bass you think will do the job for you, why not get one and have dots fitted?

Pete got it spot on.

Jazz bass, back pickup, roll the tone off a little, try and emulate the technique.

Saying that, I've heard the Musicman Bongo sound a 'little' bit Jaco like with the Stan Sargent demo on youtube...its just an approximation.

A Sandberg JJ/JM will get you there, close anyway.

I've never been a player who always looks upto the very skilled idols of bass playing. I've been a 'band' player all my life listening to indie, punk, rock, funk, all that type of stuff. For me, Flea is probably the guy who I'd like to be able to play like, but I barely ever play slap and I've never been in a proper funk band!

I know I won't get to Jaco's level because I haven't got a career in music, through my own choice. I try not to emulate anyone, just take in influences and play what feels right.

Odd thread this: "how do you get Jaco's tone"
type one answer... it's all in the fingers, and rear pup
type two answer... actually his 66 jazz bass can be heard between the tracks 4 and 5 on the weather report album as he knocked it... it had oval tuners which added to the sound....

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1346179803' post='1786226']
Jazz bass, back pickup, fingers.
[/quote]

Fretless Jazz Bass.... check
Back Pickup...............check
Fingers......................check

Sounding like Jaco............... fail :)

Hmmm but I had everything in the list lol :)

Edited by Blademan_98

[quote name='Emanew' timestamp='1347478381' post='1801481']
First, i agree with you drTStingray about having this Jaco Pastorius Modern Bass DVD.
As a suprising example, Jaco tells why he never praticed with a fretless.

About this picture with teenager Jaco holding a brand new Jazz Bass :
This JB is a 1966 instrument with pearloïd blocks, lilipop tuners and a specific sunburst (yellow very visible). It has a CBS era look.

The two Jaco's most famous sunburst basses are :
The Bass of Doom is a 1962 jazz Bass sunburst. Jaco made it a homemade lined fretless with clay dots.

From Fender's site :
" Nicknamed by Pastorius himself, the Bass of Doom was a stock 1962 Fender Jazz Bass, purchased at a pawnshop in the early 1970s. Pastorius originally removed the frets with a butter knife, filling the slots and missing chunks with "plastic wood" and covering the fingerboard with several coats of boat epoxy. This "customized" bass would be the only fretless instrument Pastorius would ever record with."

His other sunburst is a 1960 fretted JB. He also removed pickguard and concentric Stackknobs ( replaced by a 3 knobs set giving more punch according to Jaco). The neck has also clay dots.
This fretted Bass can be heard in "Portrait of Tracy", sublime harmonics.

Both of these 2 basses can be seen in Joni Mitchell's Live "Shadows & Light"

I hope it will help.
[/quote]

Thanks for this and I will check out the Joni Mitchell. I have the studio albums - they're fantastic!

As for sounding like Jaco - well only he did that. However I do try to play some of his lines..........generally on Stingray H fretless or Stingray 5.

@drTStingray
I love Stingray fretless, congrats !

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1347559465' post='1802487']
Odd thread this: "how do you get Jaco's tone"
type one answer... it's all in the fingers, and rear pup
[/quote]

Totally agree with that.
A rear single coil PU mainly in 60's position and hours of playing.
Practicing to develop right hand sensibility (or left hand with lefty players) and dexterity.
For example, Jaco shows so well how you have two completly different sounds if you touch strings near the bridge or close to the neck.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1347559465' post='1802487']
type two answer... actually his 66 jazz bass can be heard between the tracks 4 and 5 on the weather report album as he knocked it... it had oval tuners which added to the sound....[/quote]

Funny answer 2 ! Thanks

Edited by Emanew