Why become a member? ×

P.A. What does your band use? And is it any good?

Jesso

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1361833468' post='1991817']
I just bought an Electrovoice PA two ELX115P's powered tops and two ELX118P's powered subs. The desk is a Peavey pv14. We just set it up at the weekend for the first time and its a killer rig. Sounds amazing! :D
[/quote]
What are you using as monitors?
Are there enough aux sends on the Peavey desk to allow different monitor mixes and use the internal FX too?
Thanks.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1361816687' post='1991391']
Also it's worth bearing in mind that in reality for most function work you really only need enough PA to cover the dance floor area.
[/quote]
Oh how true Jay. Only need to convince our singist of that fact. :angry:

• 8 months later...

[quote name='Gazm' timestamp='1361192972' post='1982443'] I play in 2 bands, I provide and drive the PA for Mrs Miggins' Pie Shoppe: 2x BFM Tuba 30 subs & 2x BFM DR250 tops through a PSE Audio controller (crossover) and a couple of Crown amps. We use a Behringer X32 mixer. [/quote]
Hi Gaz, Im interested in building or sourcing a BFM setup similar to yours, could you tell me how it copes with a larger audience of say 300 and why do you think the 30s arent enough?
Whats the weight and pack size like?
You say you prefer the BFM to the HK, is this because its sonically nicer?
Could you put a price to what the four BFM cabs cost you?
Thanks in advance.
MM

Edited by Monckyman

Hmm, I use all sorts. Depends on the gig / space in the car really.

Desks:

Peavey XR800F
Mackie 1604VLZ
Soundcraft Spirit Folio Notepad

Amps:

Ecler PAM 1000 (racked in with an EV SP200a system controller)
Peavey CS1000
Bell... something or other :P

Tops:

EV SX100+ (pair)

Subs:

Studiomaster VX115 (pair)

Monitors:

Home made 2x5 (pair)
Peavey 1x12s (2 pairs)

Plus a mix of ART and Digitech FX, Beringher Feedback Destroyer and a Peavey graphics.

Mics are a mix of AKGs and Beyer Dynamic, and a 16 way multicore too.

For pub gigs I'll go out with with the Peavey desk, Ecler amp rack and the EVs. They fit in the car along with my bass rig and it's a very quick and easy rig to setup, as the Peavey's a powered desk I use that for the monitor amp.

For bigger gigs (such as this weekend) I hire a van and the Mackie, FX rack, CS1000 and subs are added to the package, and the Peavey desk stays at home. The 1x15 and LH1000 in return also stay at home and I take the Superfly and HX112 as I only need them for stage monitoring :)

[quote name='Toddy' timestamp='1361121592' post='1981367']
[size=5][sup]HK Actor systems,,,, really good... [/sup][/size]
[/quote]

Here here, HK Actor years of use and still good,
Duck.. a Shameless Plug coming...
i do PA hire in the northwest (hint) and it has never let me down.

Reliable, great sounding, looks good, holds its used value well, and quick to set up.

If on a tight budget, before i got the HK i had Peavey xt bins and opus tops a peavey 2000w amp just for the bins
and a studiomaster 1200 for the tops, with a behringer desk and active xover, and that sounded good for small to mid size places small halls etc.
I still like the peavey stuff for a pub band its bomb proof and reliable.

Altho the 115xt black widdow bins are rated at 700 prog and 350w rms i found they sounded much better
and ran better with the 2000w peavey amp, again never had a problem.
The peavey xt bins are fantastic value for money in a used market, very light and do a great job for
what they are, a tidy pair of 18s just went on ebay for
for £117 !
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peavey-115-XT-Bass-Bins-/130968741543?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item1e7e5866a7#ht_519wt_1005"]http://www.ebay.co.u...7#ht_519wt_1005[/url]

If you have the cash and a big van check out the Dynacord stuff xa or older cobra, these sound amazing.

Edited by funkgod

I like the HK Actor systems, never used one but heard them a good few times. Definitely a nice PA! Alto appear to be quite good too, I'm looking into their desks at the moment as I want something a bit newer than the 1604. There's a few Soundcrafts which I've got my eye on too!

Two old Shermann full range (3 way, 15" + 6" + Tweeter) cabs, old 16 channel studiomaster club mixer. Two old nameless Foldback wedges, old Crown XLS800 (?) amp.

The amps is not a patch on its predecessor (Audio management 600),and looking to replace it with something lightweight when funds allow, but it all sounds great and has done everything we need, including outdoor pub garden gigs.

The Shermanns have has Tubas, Sousaphones and bass guitars through them and we've never felt that we need subs.

[quote name='goblin' timestamp='1383743818' post='2268400']
I like the HK Actor systems, never used one but heard them a good few times. Definitely a nice PA! Alto appear to be quite good too, I'm looking into their desks at the moment as I want something a bit newer than the 1604. There's a few Soundcrafts which I've got my eye on too!
[/quote]

+1 for the HK - my previous (function) band had one and one of our recent regular venues has HK as the house PA - lots of clarity :D

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1383757146' post='2268668']

+1 for the HK - my previous (function) band had one and one of our recent regular venues has HK as the house PA - lots of clarity :D
[/quote]we use a 3k actor rig too, 4 x bins, 2 x mid tops through a prosonus desk, plenty of humf for mid size venues but we hire in for large halls.