Why become a member? ×

Mathew Street Festival

lurksalot

My band are playing one of the fringe events.
Avoid the main festival. It's just licence for local louts to drink in the street to a soundtrack of imitators and copycats. The whole thing is indicative of how lacking in culture the local council are.

Good to see some interest , I will be taking my 12yo daughter, so I think it will be more of an overall experience thing for her , if I get a chance to some of the later stuff I will , but it may depend on interest levels!!
I did notice a lot of emphasis on drinking rules on the website , so I guess it has been an issue , still should be fun anyway

[quote name='Bobby K' timestamp='1345901236' post='1782914']
I'm playing with my covers band (The Band with No Name) in The Slaughterhouse (Fenwick Street) on Sunday

3 sets starting at 5pm - come in and say hello if you get a chance, always good meeting BCers ;)
[/quote]
IFi#m still standing-and the train hasnt fecked off =I'll pop in and annoy the crap out ya0in a basschat stylee

[quote name='D-L-B' timestamp='1345898469' post='1782868']
My band are playing one of the fringe events.
Avoid the main festival. It's just licence for local louts to drink in the street to a soundtrack of imitators and copycats. The whole thing is indicative of how lacking in culture the local council are.
[/quote]
unfortunatly-the best i can offer-local lout,albeit as a commuter

[quote name='LeftyBiskit' timestamp='1345934178' post='1783418']
IFi#m still standing-and the train hasnt fecked off =I'll pop in and annoy the crap out ya0in a basschat stylee
[/quote]

I'd expect nothing less my friend :lol:
It's gonna be cosy in there to say the least, think sardines :)
Fenwick Street, The slaughterhouse, 5pm , 7pm and 9pm (three sets)

If I was ever asked to describe irony to another human being, I'd offer up the example of the spectacle I saw yesterday of a young lad taking a piss on the local law court after one too many Special Brew, just before being reprimanded by the police and slapped with a fine and a complete bollocking.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1346097478' post='1785290']
If I was ever asked to describe irony to another human being, I'd offer up the example of the spectacle I saw yesterday of a young lad taking a piss on the local law court after one too many Special Brew, just before being reprimanded by the police and slapped with a fine and a complete bollocking.
[/quote]
Is this post ironic? The story it contains certainly isn't!

I knew the weather could do a job on todays events thats why I planned yesterday .........however ........I didn't make it ,due to subsequent engagements cropping up !!!!
My sister and BIL went and thoruoghly enjoyed it , so I might have to get it in the diary early for next time !!

I've skirted around the edge of Mathew Street this weekend on sound engineering duty - ended up behind the desk in the Krazyhouse for an AC/DC tribute band on Saturday, and a 6 band punk show on Sunday (part of a three venue, weekend long "F**k Mathew Street" festival run by a local label as a backlash to all the tribute/cover acts on the main fezzy). I escaped a few miles south for an all-day charity festival in Runcorn on the Monday, where the heavens opened just after we'd rigged up fifty grands worth of PA kit on an outdoor stage. Luckily (unlike Mathew Street) we managed to quickly reshuffle the event indoors, and proceeded to rattle the windows of a sports club function room with an absurdly powerful (and thoroughly over-specced for the venue swap) rig!

Heard mixed feelings about Mathew St - many (most) guys/gals in local original bands look down on it as another example of the local council/tourism crowd overlooking new local talent in favour of cabaret shenanigans, but a mate of mine in a Pearl Jam tribute band had a blinder of a show with a massive crowd on the main stage and understandably loved it. How nice the view is all depends where you're sitting, I guess!

I was just happy to be probably the only sound engineer in Liverpool to have a full weekend of work booked in over the festival weekend yet not hear/mix a single Beatles song! Not that I don't like them, but christ, for those three days you can't escape them!

[quote]
many (most) guys/gals in local original bands look down on it as another example of the local council/tourism crowd overlooking new local talent in favour of cabaret shenanigans
[/quote]

That includes me then. Precisely why I don't go to it, that and all the lagered-up meat heads.

[quote]I was just happy to be probably the only sound engineer in Liverpool to have a full weekend of work booked in over the festival weekend yet not hear/mix a single Beatles song![/quote]

You did well then. I find the whole Liverpool Beatles tourism thing hugely depressing to be honest. I don't dislike the Beatles, but I'm not huge fan either, I simply wasn't part of that generation. In the late 70s/early 80s we had Liverpool bands like the Bunnymen, Teardrop Explodes, Wah Heat etc and there was definitely a feeling of a music scene that was looking forward rather than back to the 60's, unlike now where we seem to be drowning on an endless tide of nostalgia. I Iike the idea of the F**k Mathew Street alternative - I don't really like or listen to punk music anymore, but I applaud their spirit.

I'm just glad it's over - it was a logistical nightmare with all the streets cordoned off and the bollards raised etc. :mellow:

Our gigs were great on the Sunday and Monday - just wish we could've been beamed in and out of there, Star Trek stylee!! :lol:

As for the cancellation thing on the last day - very odd :blink:

[quote name='Bobby K' timestamp='1346240488' post='1786825']
I'm just glad it's over - it was a logistical nightmare with all the streets cordoned off and the bollards raised etc. :mellow:

Our gigs were great on the Sunday and Monday - just wish we could've been beamed in and out of there, Star Trek stylee!! :lol:

As for the cancellation thing on the last day - very odd :blink:
[/quote]

Glad your gigs went well - I used to play with Liam, he's a guitar wizard!

I've got to agree with the cancellation - I was setting up a rig for an outdoor event in Runcorn and when the weather kicked off we insisted to the organisers that it be moved inside. It just wasn't safe, for the performers, large crowds, or our PA kit that got very soggy very fast! Apparently there were 35mph winds coming in, and the stage was drenched and a slippery nightmare within about 10 minutes of the rain starting. Wouldn't like to be on the receiving end of an insurance claim if somebody had gone on their arse or fried themselves on our stage!

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1346231323' post='1786662']
You did well then. I find the whole Liverpool Beatles tourism thing hugely depressing to be honest. I don't dislike the Beatles, but I'm not huge fan either, I simply wasn't part of that generation. In the late 70s/early 80s we had Liverpool bands like the Bunnymen, Teardrop Explodes, Wah Heat etc and there was definitely a feeling of a music scene that was looking forward rather than back to the 60's, unlike now where we seem to be drowning on an endless tide of nostalgia. I Iike the idea of the F**k Mathew Street alternative - I don't really like or listen to punk music anymore, but I applaud their spirit.
[/quote]

The problem is that whilst I largely agree with you on the slightly 'artistically bankrupt' (IMO) main stages of MSF, the alternative is a stuffy and pretentious group of promotors on the other side of town pushing their idea of some sort of moral indie crusade, and the music can be of equally poor quality too (overhyped, underwhelming). For the life of me I can't figure out what's worse really. Also, one such promotor did actually take control of the Williamson Square stage this year so it's a myth that these people are on opposite sides of the fence - on the contrary they've been colluding with each other this year.