Why become a member? ×

Vintage Ampeg Loveliness

molan

So, after having seen Ampeg B15's in several studios in Memphis & Nashville last year & reading about their history as [b][i]the[/i][/b] US session man's recording amp, I finally cracked and bought one today :)

A good friend of mine, who's a seasoned session player, has one as well & it's his studio amp of choice - when engineers will actually let him mic up & not go direct! He also raved about them when I said I was thinking of getting one.

It's a 1967 B15N in amazing condition purchased from Andy Baxter - who really knows his old Ampegs. Here's what he said about it:

[i][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#474747]All original other than Ampeg USA made direct replacement tubes. All round I'd say its the best I've had in stock. (I have had over 20 in the last 2 years) Most of the tolex is clean with only a few tears/ bumps and scrapes. The grill cloth is super clean with zero wear and tear. Everything is here, the light up logo, the chrome Ampeg logo on the front of the cab, the original speaker and dolly. The handle is original and in great condition. The latches work as they should with no issues. There is even the Ampeg certificate glued to the inside of the cabinet with the origional owner's name and address. Most importantly of all the sound is fantastic. This amp wont disappoint in terms of sound or looks.[/color][/font][/i]

I have to say - he's not wrong :)

It looks stunning, especially that light up Ampeg logo and sounds great - much more tonal variation than I thought it might have. Partners my old '63 Jazz really well.

May be a little busy playing through it tonight. . .

[quote name='citymariner' timestamp='1345484664' post='1778049']
That looks ace!

What kind of money do these go for then?
[/quote]

In really good nick you won't get a lot of change out of £2K. £1,800 -£1,900 is a good working estimate.

Sounds great & growly with a P bass, tone wound down, slight treble cut on the amp & a nudge on the bass boost.

Amazing for a deep reggae tone but without the volume you usually need to get the right feel (not that I ever have the need for a reggae sound but just thought I'd share, lol).

Lots of clarity if left neutral and using a Jazz bass & really good 'heft' as well, and all of this at decent home/studio volumes :)