Why become a member? ×

Just created my bands website- what do you think? Have I missed anything?

tonyclaret

Just created this for my function band - Ruby and The Rogues . So I'm trying to gear towards that market without it looking like the rest out there if that makes sense. It's the first one I've ever done. So I'm thinking it don't look to bad considering. But have I missed anything or do i need any other sections? What can I do to make it better. Seo advice always helpful for a newbie!

[url="http://www.rubyandtherogues.co.uk"]www.rubyandtherogues.co.uk[/url]

Edited by tonyclaret

I think it looks great mr - visuals are really nice and most importantly you've remembered to include the caveats function bands need - like set up times, power, stage size etc.

Set up times are a bugbear of mine -the usual scenario is to turn up at a wedding at the instructed time (or half an hour before) to find that the speeches are over-running and you can't get in. Most clients fully understand that this will knock on your start time too - but in the 1% of times we've had some idiot whinging 'you're supposed to be on now - you wanna get a move on!' it's always been possible to politely point out this clause (it's in our contract as well). The only thing I'd maybe say is to beef up the wording for eg - 'to be set up within an hour (ideally 1 hour 30) of gaining full and unimpeded access' - as having kids doing slides across the floor as you try and get stuff in, or having tanked-up guests sidling up demanding 'a go on your guitar' tends to delay progress!

Roger - there's no gig dates cos it's a function band dude - you could put them on but it's bit pointless in an advertising sense as ad hoc punters can hardly invite themselves to someone's private do. We put testimonials on instead as we accumulate them. ;)

[quote name='sime17' timestamp='1345285246' post='1775839']
I think it looks great mr - visuals are really nice and most importantly you've remembered to include the caveats function bands need - like set up times, power, stage size etc.

Set up times are a bugbear of mine -the usual scenario is to turn up at a wedding at the instructed time (or half an hour before) to find that the speeches are over-running and you can't get in. Most clients fully understand that this will knock on your start time too - but in the 1% of times we've had some idiot whinging 'you're supposed to be on now - you wanna get a move on!' it's always been possible to politely point out this clause (it's in our contract as well). The only thing I'd maybe say is to beef up the wording for eg - 'to be set up within an hour (ideally 1 hour 30) of gaining full and unimpeded access' - as having kids doing slides across the floor as you try and get stuff in, or having tanked-up guests sidling up demanding 'a go on your guitar' tends to delay progress!

Roger - there's no gig dates cos it's a function band dude - you could put them on but it's bit pointless in an advertising sense as ad hoc punters can hardly invite themselves to someone's private do. We put testimonials on instead as we accumulate them. ;)
[/quote]

I think you're right in retrospect, perhaps I'm being a bit optimistic. Staircases, speeches over running etc. I like the wording you've chosen, I'm going to nick that!

Yeah, like you mentioned on the gig guide. We don't put one on because we hardly ever play anything other than functions. And if we did it would knock a date off the calendar and we'd prefer to get the enquiry first rather than them sumise we are unavailable.

Cheers T

website is ok/fine... but I'd tone down the rhetoric somewhat myself... and a pet hate of mine is studio recorded tracks demoing your work as
it means nothing unless you sound like that live and most don't...but then we get into how valuable these sites anyway

IIRC..we get all our work from referral and THEN they go to the website .... but then we are also pretty poor at ''working' ourselves in that way.

Phone number and e-mail address. Put them in as JPGs so you don't get spam. I'm not alone in getting put off by clunky contact forms.

It's not clear where your setlist is, I took a punt and guessed it would be under Music - listen now. You should also include a wider range of songs from your setlist. It looks like you are aiming your setlist at teenagers.

A guide price? I know every gig is different but it would be nice to know roughly how much you charge. Just for the standard performance with a simple caveat for travelling and standing around time being extra.

If you play any public gigs rather than purely function type stuff, it might be worth putting some upcoming gigs on the website. A potential punter may wish to see you live first. Alternatively, some 'live' video clips might help.

Looks good though :)

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1345297349' post='1776016']
If you play any public gigs rather than purely function type stuff, it might be worth putting some upcoming gigs on the website. A potential punter may wish to see you live first. Alternatively, some 'live' video clips might help.

Looks good though :)
[/quote]+1

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1345294438' post='1775968']
website is ok/fine... but I'd tone down the rhetoric somewhat myself... and a pet hate of mine is studio recorded tracks demoing your work as
it means nothing unless you sound like that live and most don't...but then we get into how valuable these sites anyway

IIRC..we get all our work from referral and THEN they go to the website .... but then we are also pretty poor at ''working' ourselves in that way.
[/quote]

To be honest that could be said for every single band in the world. You buy the record, you like it you go and see then live based on that.

Fortunately the only thing that is doubled tracked is the backing vocals on these tracks. We were quite conscious of the over producing.

Horses for courses also. This is a highly saturated market and to compete with rest of the pack who all have studio recordings you ain't going to race a donkey. As musicians we know the tricks of the trade that can be used, but for Joe bloggs and his wife the majority it will be wysiwyg.

OK..but you are trying to sell to a market where you might be something like the icing on the cake...functions of all kinds....you need to upto par with the rest of the
whole package, catering, venue general marketing etc..

One things I would suggest though..if you are trying to sell to top functions...I'd go with what all muso's would say when offered the job..
where..?
how much..?
dress code..?
and what are the times..?

I think your photo gallery needs some attention... as the pics seem to clash with a typical black tie event..which might be what you want to chase reading your MO..and hoodies, for example isn't going to sit too well with £100 a ticket balls...???
The band may be hired help..but you don't want to actually look it, IMO, just sayin'

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1345303047' post='1776106']
OK..but you are trying to sell to a market where you might be something like the icing on the cake...functions of all kinds....you need to upto par with the rest of the
whole package, catering, venue general marketing etc..

One things I would suggest though..if you are trying to sell to top functions...I'd go with what all muso's would say when offered the job..
where..?
how much..?
dress code..?
and what are the times..?

I think your photo gallery needs some attention... as the pics seem to clash with a typical black tie event..which might be what you want to chase reading your MO..and hoodies, for example isn't going to sit too well with £100 a ticket balls...???
The band may be hired help..but you don't want to actually look it, IMO, just sayin'
[/quote]

Yeah I can see your point on this, I suppose we are going against the grain on this one trying to stand out from the rest. Risky tactics I suppose ,only time will tell.

entirely sympathise with a diferent tack..
Some of the best paying events can be as much about the postering of the clents and clientele that
all the background stuff needs to be seemless and invisible. The band and music is a given, pretty much
and they certainly wont clear the dance floor..but the event organiser will not appreciate any nit picking or things that are 'noticed'
so that may mean the cables need to be tied away and colour co-ordinated and it is when the punter couple has paid £200 or a £1000
plus for the table 'invite' that the going gets tough...

It is beyond us to want to cope with such detail but if we are the 'right cup of tea' then ok... we might do it.
And the more money you are after. the higher the stakes and the girl singer puts her outfits on bands expenses...etc etc :lol:

Like this site and think it's generally very well done. Be very careful stating that you're "The UK's most wanted function band" as that's little more than a cliche. You may be good but unless you're booked solid til 2020 this aint the case and punters will see straight through it. Other than that it's a nice original site.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1345315418' post='1776260']
Like this site and think it's generally very well done. Be very careful stating that you're "The UK's most wanted function band" as that's little more than a cliche. You may be good but unless you're booked solid til 2020 this aint the case and punters will see straight through it. Other than that it's a nice original site.
[/quote]

I know the "most wanted" thing was a bit tongue in cheek. As they rogues/villains and are probably wanted as criminals. Perhaps I need to play on that and make it a bit more obvious.

Cheers T

OldGit (bless him) posted a lot about band websites and how they should be to maximise interest from potential customers. Do a search on BC to try to find some good stuff and PM me your email address and I'll send you a ton of OG's wise words on band websites that was aimed directly at a function band website I was setting up at the time. It's priceless stuff from someone who knew what they were talking about.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1345321634' post='1776348']
OldGit (bless him) posted a lot about band websites and how they should be to maximise interest from potential customers. Do a search on BC to try to find some good stuff and PM me your email address and I'll send you a ton of OG's wise words on band websites that was aimed directly at a function band website I was setting up at the time. It's priceless stuff from someone who knew what they were talking about.
[/quote]

Will do! Cheers T