Why become a member? ×

Precision Basses In Jazz

spongebob

I was indulging in a bit of Mahavishnu Orchestra earlier today, and it got me thinking. Both Rick Laird and Ralphe Armstrong both used P-basses in a Jazz (rock) setting.

I was trying to think of other 'Jazz' bassists who opt for a P over a J....Paul Jackson on 'Headhunters'?

Couldn't think of any more! Anyone else?

Percy Jones used a fretless Precision on the first two Brand X studio albums - Unorthodox Behaviour and Moroccan Roll. He used one on the live album - Livestock - as well. Buy them all cause they're frickin brilliant ! If you don't have anything with Percy on it I'd recommend him very highly. Be aware that he will melt you brain though.......

[quote name='dmz' timestamp='1344967325' post='1771804']
Percy Jones used a fretless Precision on the first two Brand X studio albums - Unorthodox Behaviour and Moroccan Roll. He used one on the live album - Livestock - as well. Buy them all cause they're frickin brilliant ! If you don't have anything with Percy on it I'd recommend him very highly. Be aware that he will melt you brain though.......
[/quote]

Agreed - I saw them live in about 1979 - and he achieved this - but by this time with a Wal fretless - I never knew he played a Precision fretless. Incredible to think a jazz/rock band of this type were playing the same venues as the likes of Rose Royce, Funkadelic and Chic at this time in the UK.

Edited by drTStingray

A bit off topic but Chris Brubeck and his fretless Ric, another unlikely jazzer. Fabulous player

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EySQ2ei1NTA[/media]

Edited by ikay