Why become a member? ×

Orange Terror Bass 500 - no top end!

omikin

Recently I've been mostly using my Fender Bassman 100 valve head with my Matamp 2x12, although I have recently ordered a Barefaced Super 12, so I thought I would take my Terror Bass to rehearsal to get used to that before the Barefaced arrives (I haven't used it a great deal as I just love the tone I get from the Fender) so I can have a truly lightweight rig.

Anyway, I know the tone controls don't do very much, but last night I was struggling to get anything approaching top end from it, even with the treble on full. I unplugged the Boss tuner pedal and went straight into the head and that improved things a bit, but it was still a very muddy sound. Gain at about 3 (9 o'clock), volume the same.

Anyone experienced the same thing? Going to take both heads down at some point this week to A/B them so I can rule out the tone pot on the bass (Fender US P with flats on). With the Bassman I usually have treble at about 6, and tone rolled off a little on the bass, and that gives me a nice tone. Last night the Orange sounded like it was being played from next door! Through a sponge!

Help!

yup, cant say i have a problem with mine either. i often have to turn the treble down if the cab im stuck with doesnt balance the bass on full (i.e. the sound guy or bandmates winge about too much bass!!). without wishing to be overly contrary, if anything i find the clean sound (i.e. no big muff) too trebley sometimes, when we go 'light' i dont want the bass sounding clanky.

Again, I've never had what I would call a diminished treble with my Bass Terror, and I'm mostly using a P-bass with old rounds, always through a Barefaced Compact (1x15).
Could be the Matamp cab combo?! I've never used one so I don't know.

Si

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1344866876' post='1770309']
Shouldn't be that bad, but you can help by starting with both bass and treble set to 9 o'clock, and middle set to 12. That's - very crudely - "flat" for this amp.
[/quote]

middle on full bass and treble on 1 is flat with that tone stack

[size=5][sub]Not good...if you know what the cab can produce, then it must be the amp.. I'd level everything at 12'..and see what control can do what.[/sub][/size]

[size=5][sub]Maybe the amp didn't like sitting around doing nothing for 6 months and you have killed one of the valves...[/sub][/size]
[size=5][sub]Don't really know the amp...and valve amps aren't famed for EQ... but this is beyond that, I'd guess.[/sub][/size]

• 2 weeks later...

Update: So I took it to my amp tech and he replaced one of the valves (more down to personal preference than anything else - he replaced the Electro Harmonix one that the previous owner had put in with a Mullard which means it takes more gain to make it break up, so it's a smoother, creamier sound), but he couldn't find any fault with the tone pots.

I think it was a bit of a EQ issue. I'm used to using a Fender Bassman and the bass and treble on that are different "flat" to the Orange. Now with the treble at about 1, mids at 12, and bass at 10 I can get quite a bright tone (P-bass with dead flats on it). I guess I wasn't patient enough with the EQ before!

On a side note - when I brought it in my tech was putting the finishing touches to this:[attachment=117103:Valveamp.JPG][attachment=117104:Valveamp2.JPG]

It's an 18 watt amp he made for the fella from the Vaccines (the 4th or 5th amp he's made for him, apparently) based on an old Marshall (Bluesbreaker?).

He passed me a guitar and let me play through it. Sounded extremely nice. Lovely AC/DC sort of distortion.

Nothing to do with my amp problem, but I thought I would share the loveliness.

Glad that worked out mate, and thanks for reporting back - I've not slept a wink since you posted about the problem! ;)

Re: the 18w guitar amp. One the the guitarists in my band has a USA built Rockaforte 18w Class A amp - its stupid loud and the tones are righteous. I really don't know how all that shenanigans work ... It's witchcraft I tell thee!

Thanks, grunge666. I am delighted you're sleeping better now... ;)

Yeah, the little amp was beautiful. I was tempted to ask how much it would be for a 50w version of a Super Bass, perhaps designed with the same footprint as a Barefaced Super 12. Wouldn't that be an amazing combo?