Why become a member? ×

Who's on bass

Bassistclem

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1344864302' post='1770248']
Who gives a toss who was on bass. If it's not Entwistle, I don't want or care to see The Who. I see that they're off touring Quadrophenia, how is that going to work without the bass playing? Errr... it's not. It's quite simple. As capable as Pino or whomever is, unless you get someone who has a similar stylistic bent to Entwistle and there aren't that many people who do play anything like that, the Who will continue to be crap and I won't be interested.
[/quote]

I went to see The 'Oo at the NIA a couple of years ago and they were bloody great.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1344958721' post='1771642']
I went to see The 'Oo at the NIA a couple of years ago and they were bloody great.
[/quote]

I saw them in 2000 and I'll never see a better gig. Ever. Every time I've seen them on TV with Pino playing I want to be sick. Whilst he's great at what he does in the fretless/fusion type playing style, plus his extensive career as a session musician, he just isn't right for the Who. It's ironic in that one of his biggest ever gigs is arguably his biggest turkey or fish out of water scenario. His tone has virtually no treble cut in it at all and his disciplined approach is on a par with how different Kenney Jones and Keith Moon were stylistically. Such is the parallels in my viewpoint of this (in my opinion at least) erroneous replacement. Both Palladino and Jones are good or even great players in their own right, but for The Who, they just didn't/don't work. Just as truthfully you can say that Entwistle and Moon's style doesn't work with other people as well. Fair's fair. As with Jones' eventual sacking/non-invitation back post 1988, I hope they come to their senses and give Pino the boot and get someone who actually plays something like Entwistle.

I am presently awaiting a call back from Pete Townshend..... ;)

I thought, " we gunna mime so lets not pay Pino, grab one of the game volunteers"

Athletes have to train for four years to perform live and have blood tests in case they cheat, Then they plan a musical finale' in front of the world to celebrate British music, and crap :( :( :( :( :( :angry:
miming should be band full stop.

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1344965592' post='1771772']
Athletes have to train for four years to perform live and have blood tests in case they cheat, Then they plan a musical finale' in front of the world to celebrate British music, and crap :( :( :( :( :( :angry:
[/quote]
+1

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1344864302' post='1770248']
Who gives a toss who was on bass. If it's not Entwistle, I don't want or care to see The Who. I see that they're off touring Quadrophenia, how is that going to work without the bass playing? Errr... it's not. It's quite simple. As capable as Pino or whomever is, unless you get someone who has a similar stylistic bent to Entwistle and there aren't that many people who do play anything like that, the Who will continue to be crap and I won't be interested.
[/quote]
Did you like The Who after 1978?

Why would you feel that the continued creativity of a band should be curtailed after the death of one of its members?

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1344965592' post='1771772']
I thought, " we gunna mime so lets not pay Pino, grab one of the game volunteers"

[/quote]

I agree, you try putting yourself out as a covers band and then mime!

This is why I rarely play the original line....... (it's nothing to do with my crap playing, honest!)

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1344971112' post='1771889']

Did you like The Who after 1978?

Why would you feel that the continued creativity of a band should be curtailed after the death of one of its members?
[/quote]

Their studio albums without Moon are in my opinion rubbish as due to Kenney Jones's style the rythym section customary rampage is curtailed. Zak Starkey is a brilliant drummer and a much better fit stylistcally.

Surely you don't think Entwistle's playing isn't missed on Endless Wire? The album and the band are worse for his absence. Or at least his style of playing being absent.

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1344973103' post='1771935']
I mean, [b] Banned[/b] of course CSE English let me down again.

I was offered a gig to play bass behind a curtain whilst a celebratory mimed on stage. I turned it down for lots of reasons as well as fear of a black eye if I Fccckt up.
[/quote]

That just conjured up an image of The Who miming live on stage to The Kaiser Chief's playing behind a curtain. And/or vice versa.

I saw the who a few times in their heyday and they were great live, except for the boring Tommy stuff anyway.

Watched the Vegas Job vid the other night. Couldnt believe how bad, and how amateurish they seemed, missed queues, missed endings, forgotten lyrics etc. Seen better covers bands.. I got the impression Entwhistle must have been thinking "Who are these pair of prats"

Just how many Strats does Townend need for one gig ?

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1344961803' post='1771693']
I saw them in 2000 and I'll never see a better gig. Ever. Every time I've seen them on TV with Pino playing I want to be sick. Whilst he's great at what he does in the fretless/fusion type playing style, plus his extensive career as a session musician, he just isn't right for the Who. It's ironic in that one of his biggest ever gigs is arguably his biggest turkey or fish out of water scenario. His tone has virtually no treble cut in it at all and his disciplined approach is on a par with how different Kenney Jones and Keith Moon were stylistically. Such is the parallels in my viewpoint of this (in my opinion at least) erroneous replacement. Both Palladino and Jones are good or even great players in their own right, but for The Who, they just didn't/don't work. Just as truthfully you can say that Entwistle and Moon's style doesn't work with other people as well. Fair's fair. As with Jones' eventual sacking/non-invitation back post 1988, I hope they come to their senses and give Pino the boot and get someone who actually plays something like Entwistle.

[/quote]

As a Who fan I'd go along with most of this. I still love to see them, just not the same without John. Now Zak, to me, is a more than suitable replacement for Keith, he plays off Pete as well, is as mobile round the kit and is exciting to hear and watch.

I agree a more suitable replacement for John than Pino must be somewhere. Hope you get the call, Wolverine!

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1344961803' post='1771693']

I saw them in 2000 and I'll never see a better gig. Ever. Every time I've seen them on TV with Pino playing I want to be sick. Whilst he's great at what he does in the fretless/fusion type playing style, plus his extensive career as a session musician, he just isn't right for the Who. It's ironic in that one of his biggest ever gigs is arguably his biggest turkey or fish out of water scenario. His tone has virtually no treble cut in it at all and his disciplined approach is on a par with how different Kenney Jones and Keith Moon were stylistically. Such is the parallels in my viewpoint of this (in my opinion at least) erroneous replacement. Both Palladino and Jones are good or even great players in their

Llllown right, but for The Who, they just didn't/don't work. Just as truthfully you can say that Entwistle and Moon's style doesn't work with other people as well. Fair's fair. As with Jones' eventual sacking/non-invitation back post 1988, I hope they come to their senses and give Pino the boot and get someone who actually plays something like Entwistle.

[/quote]good luck there matey