Why become a member? ×

Changing key for the singer

dincz

Singer in one of my bands sometimes hits the top of his range. The guitarist always has two guitars on hand, one tuned a semitone down (used for numbers which are normally a semitone down anyway), so if just swapping guitars is what's needed, that's what we do. I think there's one song which we had to bring down quite a way - "Keep on running". We needed to bring it down to E, but the guitarist needed it in F for his fingering, so he uses the downtuned guitar for that too.

Recently we've had to transpose one of our catalogue so that an alto sax can be played instead of a tenor sax (as was used when we recorded it).
We don't own a tenor sax between us and the sax player (who is also the vocalist) has only recently learned to play sax, only has an alto and has learned the fingering for the part as though it was for tenor.
Rather than use capos or owt we've reworked all the other parts to fit...the sax line is the hook so it takes priority....in 30years we've never played this song live so the punters in Athens will be in for a treat.

we've just change one of ours and gone up a step so the singer isn't straining so high (sounds weird writing it down but it works)
basically what ever is needed to get it to sound good is done, if it really doesn't fit then it gets chucked out.
I'm of the opinion that if you aren't willing to be a bit flexible then being in a band is going to be a struggle

The singer in the blues trio I play in often says, after his voice has taken a caning 'can we take this down one?'.
Or up one, or down two, or whatever.
I see it as part of my job to show no emotion whatsoever, just give a curt nod and get on with it. ;)

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1349451756' post='1826557']
We don't own a tenor sax between us and the sax player (who is also the vocalist) has only recently learned to play sax, only has an alto and has learned the fingering for the part as though it was for tenor.
[/quote]
Schoolboy error.
So the entire band has to transpose everything because your sax player has learn his instrument incorrectly?

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1345115422' post='1773662']
We just had this last night.
Usually it`s not a problem, the guitard doesn`t mind transposing.
Last night was Roxanne by the Police, which is in G,and it soon became obvious our singer couldn`t reach it and we settled upon E.
Guitard was deeply upset after spending a week getting those chords to "sit just right".
He played the opening chords in G, sounded great.
Tried the same shape in E and it sounded like London Calling : )
However, sounding like London Calling is far preferable to sounding like a Bee Gee on acid.
[/quote]

Guitar chords have different voicings and some use open strings differently. Open G is voiced R3[b]5R3[/b]R and open E is [b]R[/b]5R3[b]5R[/b] where the bold ones are open. There's more to the sound of a chord than just the pitch.

+1 for Eb. MANY bands tune down half a step, it takes some of the strain off. It might help to support your singer's pride if you back it up with evidence, Ian astbury and jeez even axl rose tune to Eb live. Also try to find a friend who can do a live recording at a rehearsal. Has your front man ever heard how he sounds stretching for the high notes? The first time I heard a recording of me on bass I was massively disappointed.

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1349449128' post='1826514']
We change some and we scrap those that don't work even if we have changed key.

The only problem I've had is when I was in two bands who both did the same song, but in a different key to one another. Gigs on successive nights were a headache!
[/quote]

Mmm.... Can relate to this. Valerie the two versions across three bands all in different bloody keys. Luckily it's an easy song but had to have a head check before starting each one.

This is why I played a five string for years -and never played open strings, it was then always just a case of moving the whole shebang as 'pattern' up or down a fret. Same for our guitard who'd just slap on a capo, and our keyboard player employs his 'transpose' function a lot! Our singer is very good once she finds her key in any song, but playing gigs through this 'summer' whilst heavily up the duff she had to knock a few songs down a semitone, no problem really unless I was starting the number :o ....

Dunno if anyone else has experienced this but I wish I had a quid for everytime a singer (and I'm not referring to anyone I currently work with!) has complained of the key being difficult, only to be taken around in a big circle of other keys back to the original one and then going - 'yeah that's it - perfect!' :lol:. Well it would be about five quid, but not to be sniffed at.

[quote name='sime17' timestamp='1349548836' post='1827679']
back to the original one and then going - 'yeah that's it - perfect!' [/quote]

Oh yeah! That's a classic, that one. I find it especially funny with classicalish singers who get parts that are written for the standard ranges, and thusly normally should fit them.

best,
bert