Why become a member? ×

What's inside my pickups?

Dom in Dorset

A while ago I built myself a cheap fretless jazz , for pickups I bought a set off ebay for £10, I was told that they were from a Lindo bass. They have no visible pole pieces. I wasn't expecting much but was actually blown away by them. A lovely warm rich tone, plenty of punch , exactly the tone I was after. The output seems to be slightly higher than my stock US Fenders on my fretted bass.
I know what the inside of a standard Jazz pickup looks like but what is inside these? I read in a post here recently about cheap covered jazz pickups having a "bar construction" ( I presume that means built around a single bar magnet?) , are there any higher quality pickups built like this? What are they like?

A bar magnet with either steel poles or 2 flat steel 'rails' either side of the magnet. The coil is then wrapped around said poles or rails.
Emg's are run of the mill, as are any mass produced pups. What you want is a scatterwound pickup such as the kent armstrongs or bareknuckle(do they do bass pups?). By far the best method is to take them apart and rewind the coil yourself using a hand drill.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1343986109' post='1758148']
What you want is a scatterwound pickup such as the kent armstrongs or bareknuckle(do they do bass pups?). By far the best method is to take them apart and rewind the coil yourself using a hand drill.
[/quote]

:unsure: I'd say that someone who was 'blown away' by the pickups already has what they want...

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1343998447' post='1758433']
Surely it's the sound that matters most? If you like the tone you get, is it important how the pickups are constructed?
[/quote]

Yes, if you are of a curious and inquisitive nature and like to know how things work etc.

We'd still live in caves if there weren't a few people in every generation like that ;)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1343998643' post='1758445']
Yes, if you are of a curious and inquisitive nature and like to know how things work etc.

We'd still live in caves if there weren't a few people in every generation like that ;)
[/quote]

There's not enough caves in the UK... ;)

[/quote]

Fair point. I'm just a bit intimidated by things like that. I'm good at taking things apart.... less good at putting them back together again! :blush: :D

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1343999152' post='1758463']
Fair point. I'm just a bit intimidated by things like that. I'm good at taking things apart.... less good at putting them back together again! :blush: :D
[/quote]

my dad would disassemble anything that stopped working at home, from TVs to washing machines. When he was done, tehre were always a few screws and washers left over...

"and that?" I'd ask.

"oh, that was not necessary, it works fine without it"

Fortunately, he was a lot more careful with the car :lol:

Yes, if you are of a curious and inquisitive nature and like to know how things work etc.[/quote]

Yup! That's me!

We'd still live in caves if there weren't a few people in every generation like that[/quote]

Huh? I live in a cave.

bewildered,
bert

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1344001280' post='1758527']
my dad would disassemble anything that stopped working at home, from TVs to washing machines. When he was done, tehre were always a few screws and washers left over...

"and that?" I'd ask.

"oh, that was not necessary, it works fine without it"

Fortunately, he was a lot more careful with the car :lol:
[/quote]

Oh! My! God!
We're brothers!!!
My dad would have cogs left after repairing clocks, but the clocks would still work perfectly of course. Never ceased to amaze me.

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1344013737' post='1758799']
Oh! My! God!
We're brothers!!!
My dad would have cogs left after repairing clocks, but the clocks would still work perfectly of course. Never ceased to amaze me.

best,
bert
[/quote]

If you are younger than me, but older than my brother, I'll ask my parents to adopt you. I always wanted to have a brother in between. :lol:

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1344020115' post='1758895']
If you are younger than me, but older than my brother, I'll ask my parents to adopt you.
[/quote]

Just tell me how old you are. Looking at your sig, I'll be any age required... Brother!

best,
lil bro

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1344022940' post='1758939']
Just tell me how old you are. Looking at your sig, I'll be any age required... Brother!

best,
lil bro
[/quote]

:lol:

I forgot one thing: you need to speak Spanish ;)

edit: oh, so you have a Bongo! Hmmm, I'll teach you Spanish, don't worry :P

Edited by mcnach