Why become a member? ×

Market trends ?

essexbasscat

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1344008919' post='1758687']
Everybody's talkin' 'bout the new sound funny but it's still rock n roll to me....

Billy Joel
[/quote]

which explains why the kids are still raving about Billy Joel, honestly mention his name in front of a load of school kids and you'll see what I mean!

Good point about the cost of competitive bikes, which have a serious hi-tech element to them these days.

Can anyone think of other olympic sports that require such expensive equipment? I know that canoe slalom boats are mostly carbon fibre these days but I don't think they are anywhere near the price of the bikes. My lad has a hand-built carbon kayak but it was less than £1000.

Shotguns can be ridiculously expensive if hand-built, but the money goes into the engraving and carving - they don't actually shoot any better than a £500 model, so it's not really an entry barrier into the sport.

Archery perhaps? Some of those bows look very fancy, but I don't know how much they cost.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1344009148' post='1758696'] Good point about the cost of competitive bikes, which have a serious hi-tech element to them these days. Can anyone think of other olympic sports that require such expensive equipment? I know that canoe slalom boats are mostly carbon fibre these days but I don't think they are anywhere near the price of the bikes. My lad has a hand-built carbon kayak but it was less than £1000. Shotguns can be ridiculously expensive if hand-built, but the money goes into the engraving and carving - they don't actually shoot any better than a £500 model, so it's not really an entry barrier into the sport. Archery perhaps? Some of those bows look very fancy, but I don't know how much they cost. [/quote]

the bikes push the barrier- if you compare them to formula one cars they aren't that pricy.... whats that the bike is about the cost of a front wing? though R&D costs probably a wee bit higher.
I was reading before that especially in Bejing they were so secretive about the equipment even the riders didn't know what they'ld done, they were just given a bike and told it would be better than the oppositions. (and if it wasn't then it's not bad for the psyche is it?)
Flippin good job they've done though, top of the world in terms of cycling. Mind you we do spend more on our elite cycling than the USA does on cycling of all levels.... my view is if it encourages more people to cycle it makes the UK fitter and slightly less polluted then thats a good thing. :)

Nothing is pricey compared to F1 cars. ;)

I think the basic point is how much it costs to be able to compete at the top level. So for cycling it's at least £20k whereas for running it's probably a £100 pair of decent shoes. A simplistic view, perhaps, but most determined people could reasonably expect to equip themselves with the same sort of gear used by world champions in most olympic sports - but probably not in cycling these days.

A bit like the music world really, where it's really not unthinkable to equip yourself with the same basic gear as world famous musicians (unless we're talking Stradivarius fiddles of course), in which case it really is all about the talent and not about the gear - which is how it should be really.

In the 80s it was Jaydees and Trace Elliott/Mesa Boogie, in the 90s Warwicks ..

Single cut basses seem flavour of the month at the moment, though FTLOM I can't see why..

Some gear is as ubiquitous as knives and forks - Fenders/ Ricks/ Marshall cabs...they'll probably always keep the re-sale value..Anybody remember when Wals were cheap??

Fact is, the gear still does today what it did when it was bought - styles change that's all - hang around long enough and it will come back..

I just need to convince somebody that GBs are old hat and that they're worthless and I'll be away!!

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1344010650' post='1758725']
Nothing is pricey compared to F1 cars. ;)

I think the basic point is how much it costs to be able to compete at the top level. So for cycling it's at least £20k whereas for running it's probably a £100 pair of decent shoes. A simplistic view, perhaps, but most determined people could reasonably expect to equip themselves with the same sort of gear used by world champions in most olympic sports - but probably not in cycling these days.

A bit like the music world really, where it's really not unthinkable to equip yourself with the same basic gear as world famous musicians (unless we're talking Stradivarius fiddles of course), in which case it really is all about the talent and not about the gear - which is how it should be really.
[/quote]

Except if you get to the point where someone thinks you might want/need a £20k bike then I'm pretty sure british cycling will get you one- I don't think chris Hoy buys his own bikes.
Road cycling you can get a decent bike at £500 and then spend as much as you want/are mad enough on the bits to make it that much lighter. Possibly like us lot and basses you see people get more focused on the gear than actually using it....

Running you could start on a pair of £2 pumps if you wanted! the cost in a lot of these sports is the time and then affording to join the clubs or wherever people do athletics..... but it gets to the point that there is a difference- a £5 ball and jumpers for goal posts will get me started playing football- the gap between me and Lionel Messi is the same as me and Chris Hoy. In the same way the local park or road takes the place of the velodrome or Wembley.... I think sometimes if we just went and did things for the fun rather than getting hung up on the gear... which brings us neatly back to bass guitars.... ;)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1344009148' post='1758696']
Good point about the cost of competitive bikes, which have a serious hi-tech element to them these days.

Can anyone think of other olympic sports that require such expensive equipment? I know that canoe slalom boats are mostly carbon fibre these days but I don't think they are anywhere near the price of the bikes. My lad has a hand-built carbon kayak but it was less than £1000.

Shotguns can be ridiculously expensive if hand-built, but the money goes into the engraving and carving - they don't actually shoot any better than a £500 model, so it's not really an entry barrier into the sport.

Archery perhaps? Some of those bows look very fancy, but I don't know how much they cost.
[/quote]

The horsey stuff costs a fortune. The horses are worth a fortune, then there's all the upkeep costs. And I think the cost of transporting the horses across the globe for an olympics reaches millions. I think many of the riders don't own their horses, they borrow them from people who can afford to keep them!

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1344012018' post='1758767']
The horsey stuff costs a fortune. The horses are worth a fortune, then there's all the upkeep costs. And I think the cost of transporting the horses across the globe for an olympics reaches millions. I think many of the riders don't own their horses, they borrow them from people who can afford to keep them!
[/quote] like republican nominees for president?

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1344012018' post='1758767']
[/quote]

Yes, I'd forgotten about the horsey sports. Good point and a probable winner in the most-expensive-olympic-sport category, unless anyone can show otherwise.