Why become a member? ×

I have my new bass head, Now for a cab.. Any Idea's?

GetYourFunkOut93

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1343693946' post='1753911']
...the vast majority of customers now rave about how good they look despite the higher price. They still sound awesome and they're still very portable...[/quote]

I can certainly vouch for these points! But even if they were 'aesthetically challenged', surely what a cab sounds like would be a hundred times more important that what it looks like? As far as punters are concerned it's just another black box on stage. :)

It would be more important soundwise V lookwise AFAIAC, but you still have to build something that works on all levels, IMO..
If the 'potential' buyer doesn't think that then you haven't gotten past first base.

Of all the things you can fail on... actual 'build' and all that entails must be the easiest to get past....many DIY efforts here achieve a nice looking cab.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1343720974' post='1753999']It would be more important soundwise V lookwise AFAIAC, but you still have to build something that works on all levels, IMO... If the 'potential' buyer doesn't think that then you haven't gotten past first base.[/quote]

Which can only be down to personal preference. 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...' :)

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1343727119' post='1754113']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]...I wouldn't go for Hartke or GK, I'm sure they're great, but some irrational part of me has decided that they are not for me...[/font][/color][/quote]

But what about the Ellington quote in your sig? ;)

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1343727470' post='1754124']

:-). Like I say - irrational
[/quote]

Edit: I've never actually thought of that quote in terms of gear, just music. When it comes to gear, looks are a massive part for me, so I suppose I'm a hypocrite. Thanks for ruining my day Discreet :-)

I tried my TC 450 Classic through a Barefaced Compact and I didn't really like it. I'm guessing EQ'ing to match the cab would have made it sound a lot better though. I've an Orange Terror too and that sounds amazing through it.
As for TC cabs an RS210 matched with an RS212 may be a good solution. I use an RS210 with an RS112 as I'm DI at all my gigs these days and can barely get the output above tickover without random soundmen moaning.

I used my TC Classic 450 through a Barefaced Compact and Midget used singly and in combination and thought it all sounded great. I now have a GB Streamliner 600 paired with the same cabs and this sounds *more than* great - the contrast is quite marked, in fact. It seems to have opened up a range of sounds that the TC hid somehow - is this the compressed squishing people talk of? I have read on here many times that the BF cabs are transparent and will only articulate what goes in there - this has been my, albeit limited, experience, so maybe folks that are trying BF cabs should look at their amps, rather than the cabs, if they aren't happy with the sound.

The point about the bass being too loud on stage ...

You really do not need or want a rig that floods the stage with bass... so in that respect the cab is often totally unsuitable
as it is harder to conrol by FOH. You would be better off with a tight focused sound and if you need more bass, get some in the monitors.
If the monitors aren't or can't be used for bass, then you will need a rig that cuts but does not flood the stage.

So the size of the rig becomes important as a small-ish stage in a small room might means a rig would flood not only the stage but fill the room
and the FOH engr might take you out of the mix which means he has lost control... This is why Engrs like low bass volume on stage as they can sort it out better out front... but that might be at the expense
of the bass sound for the bass player.

Most guys I've worked with ignore my bass volume and figure they can bleed over the top as they have a more powerful rig for the room... but too much bass on stage will complicate this and make his job harder.

I make my sound is THERE...but not massively so,
My bass rig will pump out most or, in some case, all, of the stage sound, but not get in the way of FOH...

The last thing you want in a bass rig that you can't control re the amount of low-end you put out.
Some cabs are just too plain bassey.... and therefore not a stage rig..
They might do ok in a decent size room, but that sort of bias may not be very adapatable.
IMO..!!

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1343740354' post='1754408']
...maybe folks that are trying BF cabs should look at their amps, rather than the cabs, if they aren't happy with the sound.[/quote]

Given that the topic title is 'I have my new bass head...' ;)
But I do agree with you entirely, rig choice should be about which amp and cab works best together for you. Among other factors of course, such as cost, portability, genre, design and so on...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1343740485' post='1754413']
The point about the bass being too loud on stage ...

You really do not need or want a rig that floods the stage with bass... so in that respect the cab is often totally unsuitable
as it is harder to conrol by FOH. You would be better off with a tight focused sound and if you need more bass, get some in the monitors.
If the monitors aren't or can't be used for bass, then you will need a rig that cuts but does not flood the stage.

So the size of the rig becomes important as a small-ish stage in a small room might means a rig would flood not only the stage but fill the room
and the FOH engr might take you out of the mix which means he has lost control... This is why Engrs like low bass volume on stage as they can sort it out better out front... but that might be at the expense
of the bass sound for the bass player.

Most guys I've worked with ignore my bass volume and figure they can bleed over the top as they have a more powerful rig for the room... but too much bass on stage will complicate this and make his job harder.

I make my sound is THERE...but not massively so,
My bass rig will pump out most or, in some case, all, of the stage sound, but not get in the way of FOH...

The last thing you want in a bass rig that you can't control re the amount of low-end you put out.
Some cabs are just too plain bassey.... and therefore not a stage rig..
They might do ok in a decent size room, but that sort of bias may not be very adapatable.
IMO..!!
[/quote]

Interesting. I play a venue a lot where the monitoring is excellent and I'd truthfully be better of just bringing my Sansamp and stacking some black painted cardboard boxes behind me for effect. Last gig there I was worried how I'd sound FOH as on the soundman's advice I had the head volume right down at about 1.25 out of 10. Someone did an audio recording at the back. The bass sounded big and distinct and great in the mix.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1343741581' post='1754436']
...be better of just bringing my Sansamp and stacking some black painted cardboard boxes behind me for effect...[/quote]

Well then, there's the solution! ...But which cabs should they be painted to look like..? :huh:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1343741172' post='1754428']
Given that the topic title is 'I have my new bass head...' ;)
But I do agree with you entirely, rig choice should be about which amp and cab works best together for you. Among other factors of course, such as cost, portability, genre, design and so on...
[/quote]

Well, yes, for the OP it is a less than useful observation - which was aimed more at folks who are struggling with BF cabs generally. Given their transparency I don't see how blame for a 'bad tone' could ever be laid at their feet, really - I suspect it brings out something in amps that was previously unheard. But sound is very subjective - all I know is I am increasingly impressed with my BF rig, I must say, and teaming it with the Genz Benz vs TC 450 has made a huge step forward as far as my ears are concerned. Again, not an observation the OP would find useful.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1343745454' post='1754508']
...But sound is very subjective - all I know is I am increasingly impressed with my BF rig, I must say, and teaming it with the Genz Benz vs TC 450 has made a huge step forward as far as my ears are concerned.[/quote]

Cost is all relative too, really... I borrowed a BF S12 and it's everything I could ever hope for, but I can't afford one - so it's down the 4X10 route and ongoing back pain for me! :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1343745635' post='1754512']
Cost is all relative too, really... I borrowed a BF S12 and it's everything I could ever hope for, but I can't afford one - so it's down the 4X10 route and ongoing back pain for me! :D
[/quote]

I decided that once I'd factored in visits to an osteopath at £40 a go Barefaced cabs are saving me a fortune! The crystal clear sound is a happy by-product.