Why become a member? ×

I may sell my gear , then what??

Believe it or not ,this isn't a doom n gloom thread.)
I was just thinking , I have 9 basses , a lovely Aguilar amp setup, effects units which I don't use enough.
9 basses! Not greed , but. after years of not doing anything, I was doing loads for the next7-8years

Since I got the iPad (itt was a toss up between that and a kaossilator), I started attempts at recording things on soundcloud(user name mellowcat)
I doubt very much that I'll be doing the band thing anymore .
I wasn't sure about the recording side of things,but although it takes time , I enjoy it .
Mostl of the stuff I've been recording has been from the kaossilator app on iPad.

Thinking of getting korg wavedrum as a present to myself at some stage.
May even sell everything and learn the moog stuff.

What are your thoughts ?

Goodbye Basschat, Hello Moogchat, eh?
Whatever makes you happy, indulge it. Personally I'd keep one bass just in case, and maybe get a small but nice amp. That way you can keep playing if you miss it and even incorporate your bass playing into the recording from time to time?

You could just sell one bass at a time to finance your new found love of recording. Depending on the value you could sell one to get an audio interface, another to get some studio monitor speakers, one to get a moog, another for DAW software etc. etc.

If you aren't playing bass in any form, then sell the lot.. as a bass player out of touch isn't going to be much use to anyone and it will take a very concerted effort to get back into things and the groove.
I think a break can be a very good thing indeed but don't undestimate the comeback trial....
I would keep the best bass for 6 months min tho

Thanks for the good advice,)keep it going.
I should've pointed out that I do have interface(GarageBand/logic express which I need to d0 more with)and studio monitors.the basses are all different(5/6string which I hardly use/fret less etc. some are expensive/rare some cheap ish. I suppose I'll always use a bass so will keep 1or2. When recording I play through my mac mini.
Haven't used the Aguilar stuff for ages.

May be therapeutic for me,)

I always keep to just two basses anyway, so if I was you, I'd sell a few Ray!

It's great to have loads of gear, but I always think if it's not being used, sell it.

Any more than two basses, and I tend to neglect one, or only pick it up because I feel I have to.....so have what you feel comfy with.

Been loads of times when things aren't going as I'd like that I start to mess around recording on my own. Then an opportunity comes along to play some cool stuff on bass with someone. Good idea to keep a bass and maybe a small rig just in case you get the calling again but I see where you're coming from. I imagine that when I'm too old and tired to gig anymore, this is what I'll do. It's still making music and you don't have to put up with all the personality sh*t from others. Way to go. Do it.

Thanks alot guys,) btw , may as well tell you how/why I ended up with so many basses .

1st proper bass:Washburn
Had a hohner cricketbat(couldn't afford Steiney at the time)
Then fret less many years later. Then I got real steiny. As I was listening to alot of metal playing low notes,got the schecter 5.
My friend Chris at ch guitars, was getting his business started so I got 6/i8 string.
He later got me the bass on my avatar,)
Got tele bass o eBay , as the band hated my headless. Will probably keep it as when I sold my cliff button autographs , I said I'd get a real bass for em. Finally, the dean taxi bass, rare and I got a great deal on fleabay.

Now my thoughts are that I may not get much cash back for some basses,so may exchange for some easy to use moog effects(replacing my fx units in the meantime)
Hope that wasn't too exhausting to read,)