Why become a member? ×

Are any of these cheap power amps any good?

Jack

Hello folks. Band is looking for a PA, on my insistence we're each buying individual gear rather then having to worry about who gets what when we break up. I have made sure I get to buy the power amp because it's physically quite small ( ;)) and because I'll always have some use for it in the future, in a rack rig or whatever.

We have 2 Peavey 2x15" cabinets. They're actually PV215s, although they look a bit older. They probably aren't the best, but we got an amazing deal on them. I'd have preferred proper tops on stands but you play the cards your dealt eh?

Amps! I was thinking about something like a second-hand RMX2450, but for the £200-£300 they go for there are some pretty nice deals on new amps. Just looking at Thomann shows the [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_inuke_nu3000_endstufe.htm"]Behringer (shudder) iNuke[/url], the 3000 puts out an a supposed 900 a side at 4ohms, reviews suggest this is more like 600, but that's enough for me. There's also [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tamp_tsa_2200.htm"]Thomann's own amp[/url] which looks great on paper too, 910W a side.

Does anyone use amps like these? What about other 'off' brands?

Thanks in advance!
Jack

The inuke actually only puts out about 200w a side. I measured the voltage when I had one. 28v flat out.

The Peavey IPR 1600 is seriously good. http://www.peavey.com/products/proaudio/poweramps/ipr/index.cfm/item/116949/IPR%26trade%3B%26nbsp%3B1600.html
Or the IPR3000 if you want more power.

Behringer provide both peak and RMS power figures in the spec sheets on their web site (at least for PA power amps). Unfortunately they name their amps according to the peak power output.

The EP series (not EPQ - yet) get great reviews and are supposed to actually deliver at least their rated power with good reliability. The later lightweight stuff - iNuke, EPQ etc - haven't been around long enough to prove themselves in the real world.

EP2000 (2 x 650W/2 ohms, 2 x 500W/4 ohms) might do what you want - or a used EP1500 (same amp but with a meaningful name). Next step up is the EP4000 - same as older EP2500.

They're not lightweights - around 16Kg.

You won't go far wrong with QSC RMX/PLX series, even if they are second hand..

I prefer Crown but than kinda flys in the face of cheap.. Having said that, a Crown will (should!) last a very long time..

Yeah. Crown - or see if you can find a 2nd hand C-Audio or a Chevin. Both British built, both solid, both usually cheaper than Crown amps.

There's a C-Audio on ebay...

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/327-C-AUDIO-2250B-POWER-AMP-amplifier-c-audio-/320924700421#ht_1119wt_1163"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/327-C-AUDIO-2250B-POWER-AMP-amplifier-c-audio-/320924700421#ht_1119wt_1163[/url]

Edited by bigjohn

Cloud CV and VTX series amplifiers tend to go reasonably cheaply on eBay..

Not the highest power amps out there but very well built (in Sheffield) and will take a kickin night after night. Both have built in limiters, comprehensive protection circuitry as well as dual mono and bridge mono modes. Cloud are a great company to deal with.

CV series operate down to 4 ohms ch / 8 ohms bridge. They usually come in black cases and are std 19" 3U rack size. 250 - 1000w

VTX series will sustain 2 ohms ch / 4 ohm bridge. These are grey coloured and are higher powered than the CV range. Up to 1500w (I think?)

Only downside is that they weigh a bit. Plenty of iron in a transformer is a good thing in my book.

Edited by VTypeV4

The truth is that many of the current crop of power amps are fantastic value for money. I ran a Behringer EP1500 for years without a hiccup and then an EP2500 which i still use. the only problem is the weight, but that is inevitable if you have a conventional power supply and want it to meet it's specs. I have a Peavey IPR1600 which I now use all the time simply because of the weight, There is very little difference in sound between these amps and none the Peavey speakers will reveal. The thomann t-amps are well regarded and after sales if anything goes wrong will be better than Behringer's.

Im about to Pull the trigger on a peavey pvi 8b plus. But I must admit, the idea of getting a cheap power amp like the Inuke or t amp e800 to power my eurosys 2's (vocals for pub three piece rock gifs only) and spending the rest on a used iPad Is getting more tempting by the day!

Good suggestions folks, thanks. I am now considering a cheaper amp, why bother with the major brands when they're all just power amps at the end of the day. Well, warranty I guess, which is why I'm thinking the Thomann ones are the way forward.