Why become a member? ×

Getting rid of tab ?

BassMan94

Hi guys was wondering if you could help me out.

Like many of the guys on here I have gotten my hands on many 'books' in pdf format. Thing is some of these have tab underneath the music. Ever since I've started to read music, I've become a tab hater :lol:
For some reason I like making it hard for myself to read a piece of music that obviously has been tabbed for ease

Anyone know of any software that gets rid of them or something that can rub it out whilst in the pdf ?

you'd need to open up the pdf file in acrobat pro or illustrator (thats assuming it hasnt been password protected and editing locked) and then loads of editing and rearranging so in a word unfortunately ...no! :)

or render it up in a photo editor into a hi-res image and then cut and paste all the staves about to remove the unwanted tab ones and shift the others

You could do it with PDF-XChange viewer. On the Tools menu, there's Comment & MarkUp Tools, one of which draws a rectangle. You just need to change the default from empty to a colour fill, white,black or whatever you want. Then you use that to blank over the tab, and save the file to a new pdf. That's included in the free version. And it's a better pdf viewer than the awful bloated adobe thing.

http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

Why so much hatred of tabs, for all those people who [u]can[/u] read music, there are far more who [u]can't![/u]

Fair play to those who can, but not all people can learn to read music for various reasons, and I wouldn't mind betting that almost everyone has been thankful for tabbed music at some stage in their learning curve.

It just seems a bit snobbish to rubbish tabs, just because you can now read music.
A bit like a "reformed smoker" comes to mind, and yes I used to smoke, but I don't condemn those who still do.

I know what you mean - it is tempting to look at the TAB but on occassion i am glad its there because i don't have a real live person to tell me if what i am interpretting from the dots is right or wrong. A quick glance at the TAB can confirm if something is correct.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1343037066' post='1743971']
I know what you mean - it is tempting to look at the TAB but on occassion i am glad its there because i don't have a real live person to tell me if what i am interpretting from the dots is right or wrong. A quick glance at the TAB can confirm if something is correct.
[/quote]

That is exactly why I wanted to get rid of it, but it is a good way of telling me im playing the right notes. And for 'thebrig', I don't hate them as I myself started out reading tabs from ultimate guitar or whatever it's called now. It's great when you start keep you playing the songs that actually influenced you to pick the bass up !

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1343036551' post='1743960']
Why so much hatred of tabs, for all those people who [u]can[/u] read music, there are far more who [u]can't![/u]

Fair play to those who can, but not all people can learn to read music for various reasons, and I wouldn't mind betting that almost everyone has been thankful for tabbed music at some stage in their learning curve.

It just seems a bit snobbish to rubbish tabs, just because you can now read music.
A bit like a "reformed smoker" comes to mind, and yes I used to smoke, but I don't condemn those who still do.
[/quote]

TAB only tells you where to put your fingers, no more. To find out [i]when[/i] and for [i]how long[/i] you need the proper notation. So you're already reading rhythms and that's the hardest part of reading notation. Reading pitch is easy so why not complete the job and have done with this music-by-numbers crap?

Plus, proper notation tells you instantly the relationships that exist between the notes you're being asked to play so if you nailed your arpeggios and scales the jobs becomes so much easier.

'Tis nothing to do with snobbery. Players of orchestral instruments learn to read while they're learning to operate the instrument, I fail to see why bass players (and guitarists, they're even worse!) should be any different.

[quote name='Commando Jack' timestamp='1343039916' post='1744026']
That broke my heart, I was a big Tab Clear fan. Apparently the only one!
[/quote]

That's two of us.

Can there be some final cans out there? Just how long [i]does [/i]the stuff keep for, anyway?

You forgot to mention that score doesn't tell you where to put your fingers on a bass ;)

It only tells you what note to play, hence you need to do some working out and it's harder to sight read.

Using a combination of tab and score simultaneously I find it very easy to sight read relatively complex basslines purely because I'm taking the best of both worlds.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1343047684' post='1744200']
You forgot to mention that score doesn't tell you where to put your fingers on a bass ;)

It only tells you what note to play, hence you need to do some working out and it's harder to sight read.
[/quote]

Yet I could read your post aloud without being told when to breathe, when to open and close my mouth and what positon to put my tongue in (ooerr!)...

I'm just pointing out that tab can have a particular advantage to some people. Just because some people don't like it doesn't mean its validity should be questioned. Personally on stringed instruments which have it I prefer to use the combination of tab and score that I previously mentioned.

On keyboard however there is no need as there is only one position per note that can be played.

Tab is great. So what if you can read music and don't need tab... a lot of us can't read music. Even if we can, tab is just easier to interpret, IMO anyway. It's just another way to represent music, so saying it is rubbish or should be got rid of just doesn't make sense, why not get rid of musical score instead*?

*of course, tab doesn't show note lengths. This is because it isn't needed as tab is almost always next to musical score. But that is a minor point, easily remedied as an "improved" tab. Down with musical score! etc. :lol:

[quote name='Commando Jack' timestamp='1343048866' post='1744240']
If I did happen upon a can I would consider it a sign and go buy a lottery ticket :)
[/quote]

I would also take it as a sign and marry you... then sue for custody of said can.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1343047684' post='1744200']

Using a combination of tab and score simultaneously I find it very easy to sight read relatively complex basslines purely because I'm taking the best of both worlds.
[/quote]

Whilst charic has lost his delightful avatar, he has nonetheless found the secret of using tab as a learning tool - because, let's face it, it can be great in combination with the written music. I regularly used to use it to test and see if I'd worked the music out correctly.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1343054672' post='1744383']
I would also take it as a sign and marry you... then sue for custody of said can.
[/quote]

Never! Besides I'd have already bought a Russian bride with my lottery winnings.

Just so I'm mildly on topic, wiki is very good at stating the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablature#Differences_between_systems"]advantages and disadvantages[/url] of each musical notation system.

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1343054882' post='1744387']
I don't understand your last statement.

There's no working out of the music needed, a note is a note and is only ever going to be that single note.
[/quote]

What's not to understand, lah?

When I was learning I found it useful to read the two in conjunction. I'd try and read the music, to understand if I'd gotten the line, the timing; and then go back to the tab, so I could assess if I had, genuinely, had my fingers in the right places.

I hadn't had the years of tedious lectures on Basschat about improving my [i]fundamentals, [/i]yet. I was young, I was naive. I was some crazy amateur just out to learn a lick or two. And, you know, it works a treat :)

People have different learning styles - and knowledge will come to people differently, for all sorts of reasons. You can say a [i]note is a note and is only ever going to be that single note; [/i]but when I sat there and still trying to work out the fretboard, I didn't have flipping clue :)

Does that make sense now? Shout if not and I'll have another crack :)

Sorry, was reminiscing!

Edited by Gust0o