Why become a member? ×

what 2 pedals

robert43

a massive factor in what you buy will be budget...? but this said, don't be fooled into thinking that the more you spend the better you sound will be as this is not necessarily the case. Maybe go to a local large music shop with a good selection of different pedals and try a few things out. A classic starting point would be a fuzz of some description, a good reference point would be a Little Big Muff at around £45 new (don’t know about Australian $). Great sounding budget fuzz. Give it a whirl...

you wanna sound big and punchy and in tune.

Compressor and Tuner

Demeter Compulator in the for sale section, lots of people including myself recommend them, or EBS multicomp are the two major contenders.
Tuner: Boss TU-2, Korg DT-10 i think, or peterson strobostomp if you think you can hear a difference of 0.1 cent.

For 3 piece type stuff like u2 greenday chillies my personal preference is not to go with effects that take away from the bottom end of the bass like fuzz or synth. You just want to be rock solid, punchy, supplying the low stuff otherwise it looses its energy. IMO.

[quote name='oddjob' post='186100' date='Apr 26 2008, 07:03 PM']you wanna sound big and punchy and in tune.

Compressor and Tuner

Demeter Compulator in the for sale section, lots of people including myself recommend them, or EBS multicomp are the two major contenders.
Tuner: Boss TU-2, Korg DT-10 i think, or peterson strobostomp if you think you can hear a difference of 0.1 cent.

For 3 piece type stuff like u2 greenday chillies my personal preference is not to go with effects that take away from the bottom end of the bass like fuzz or synth. You just want to be rock solid, punchy, supplying the low stuff otherwise it looses its energy. IMO.[/quote]

yawn...booooooooooring :) haha

i know what you're saying though, those are kind of the foundations of a pedal board. I've never had a problem with keeping the low end with fuzz effects in a band situation though. Good recommendations though if those are the first pedals you own.

i second the recommendation of the B2

since your askin about effects, im guessin that a compressor will not be what your after, as youl probably want something a bit more 'effect' like for your money??

overdrive would be a must for me, be it subtle or balls to the wall, and certainly needed if your playin rhcp or green day stuff i would think

you say you dont want wah, any reason?

[quote name='gafbass02' post='186968' date='Apr 28 2008, 08:00 AM']Yup, dull, but def the best starting point, i wont go anywhere without compression![/quote]
i totally disagree, i don't see how compression is the best starting point for someone wanting to experiment with effects

[quote name='BassManKev' post='187366' date='Apr 28 2008, 04:59 PM']i totally disagree, i don't see how compression is the best starting point for someone wanting to experiment with effects[/quote]

True, not the best for starting to fiddle about with sounds (my first was a phaser weeeeeoooo etc etc, great fun!) didnt really think of it like that, for me imho etc etc compression is the one indispensible pedal. I was thinking more in gigging terms. Always makes me chuckle when guitarists make a big deal about me having 'so many pedals', and so many are just stuff like compression, tuner, noisegate etc, no superwobblifiers etc

Edited by gafbass02

my first pedal was a totally mental ibanez bass fuzz (PD7) and i would still be using it if it wasnt so temprimental, i think it sounds amazing

thinking about it, i might post a thread in the repairs section to see if anyone would know how to make it more reliable