Why become a member? ×

Electric shocks bad venue wiring

deepbass5

We all need to be checking for venue wiring faults, we should treat it like tuning, as we would not go on without tuning up.
Our Guitarist got a belt on Saturday night from his mouth on the mic, and back through his guitar.
I am a bit annoyed as I am a spark and carry the kit to test this but don't always do so in plush new Hotels. But on checking after the gig, there was an earth fault on the socket his side of the stage.
So any stray current in his rig used the earthed mic back through the desk to find its way home.
Answer is get one of these cheap devices could save a life. oh ya and use it every gig

I'm sure we all know about this stuff, but we can't be reminded enough!

I carry one of these in my gig bag and use it before plugging into unfamiliar mains sockets: http://www.maplin.co.uk/mains-socket-tester-9800

I also also plug in all my gear via a plug-in RCD - something like this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/safety-breaker-29769

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1341871324' post='1725573']
I'm sure we all know about this stuff, but we can't be reminded enough!

I carry one of these in my gig bag and use it before plugging into unfamiliar mains sockets: [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/mains-socket-tester-9800"]http://www.maplin.co...ket-tester-9800[/url]

I also also plug in all my gear via a plug-in RCD - something like this: [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/safety-breaker-29769"]http://www.maplin.co...y-breaker-29769[/url]
[/quote] Wheres your sense of adventure? and no, i definately mean pack test :)
I need to start remembering to bring my lead first :D

I aways use a rcd but now going to get a mains tester,thanks.yes and have played at pubs with the wall plug hanging out by its wires or plugs that are smashed,and the ones where the only socket it 100 yards from the playing area,happy days B)

Guys,

Would this tester work if, say it was plugged in to the end of an extension lead that was plugged in to a faulty (say bad earth) mains socket? I'm thinking yes it would.
I was wondering as I have a spare outlet on the extension fitted to the back of my rack case. I'd happily leave one of these plugged all the time as a visual guide to the status of the socket I am plugging in to.

[edit] actually, I'd have to unplug all the devices from the extension first for a proper clear reading wouldn't I?

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1341916746' post='1726012']
Guys,

Would this tester work if, say it was plugged in to the end of an extension lead that was plugged in to a faulty (say bad earth) mains socket? I'm thinking yes it would.
I was wondering as I have a spare outlet on the extension fitted to the back of my rack case. I'd happily leave one of these plugged all the time as a visual guide to the status of the socket I am plugging in to.

[edit] actually, I'd have to unplug all the devices from the extension first for a proper clear reading wouldn't I?
[/quote]

It's a great idea to have an 'always-on' safety checker. On the front panel of the amp.

Hmmm...

I don't see why you'd need to unplug everything else. Anyone?

(LOL at Gust0o)

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1341917113' post='1726030']

(LOL at Gust0o)
[/quote]

I wondered if the loading of the devices (such as transformer impedance) would have an affect on the gadget's ability to read certain fault conditions. Would love to hear from a PAT tester who knows these units inside and out.

I guess there's only so many fault conditions that it can test anyway - but the most important ones, such as 'no earth' would be easy to detect.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1341917113' post='1726030']
It's a great idea to have an 'always-on' safety checker. On the front panel of the amp.

Hmmm...

[/quote]

Can't see why this wouldn't work. The unit I have has three LEDs - if they are all on then the socket is wired OK. Other combinations indicate various problems such as no earth, reversed L & N, etc so it's a very quick and simple visual check.

I suppose there's a remote possibility that a fault might occur in one of the sockets that the tester is not plugged into, but that seems no more likely than testing first and then unplugging the tester, so a tester plugged into a socket strip would be a good indication of the continued good condition of the main socket that the socket strip is plugged into.

An RCD adapter is like a condom - a no brainer if you want to protect yourself.

We were playing in a marquee the other week, running off a generator. The RCD plug wouldn't reset, so we tried the 3 neon tester like those linked above - which showed earth & live crossed. Going further upstream in the chain of extension leads it showed a different fault - earth and neutral crossed. It turned out that the generator circuit was faulty, so in the end we had to time-share another circuit with the caterers. I hate to think what might have happened if we'd plugged any gear into the mains without the RCD - whether to the band or the equipment.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1341916746' post='1726012']
Guys,

[/quote]

It would, but the idea is to test the mains outlet BEFORE you plug anything into it. Saving damage to equipment. The RCD will be reducing your risk of electric shock.

You can still get shocks off gear from after the transformer. Ie mike to guitar even with RCD fitted. Hopefully they're lowish voltage.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1341928077' post='1726343']
It would, but the idea is to test the mains outlet BEFORE you plug anything into it. Saving damage to equipment. The RCD will be reducing your risk of electric shock.

You can still get shocks off gear from after the transformer. Ie mike to guitar even with RCD fitted. Hopefully they're lowish voltage.
[/quote]

There are different types of RCD. Some fitted to the supply, some are plug adapters you plug your kit into, after plugging the adapter into the wall supply which protect you from your own gear, or prtect the gear itself. They won't stop you getting a shock but they minimise the effects of the shock. They are not a substitute for correct fuses.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1341930803' post='1726390']
I don't understand the reference to the transformer...?

do you mean the transformer in the amp, ie the amp itself could stick its HT down the guitar lead? Extremely unlikely but yes an RCD wouldn't prevent this.
[/quote]

I can't understand it either, unless there's a fault in the amp that makes the case live?

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1341931135' post='1726397']
I can't understand it either, unless there's a fault in the amp that makes the case live?
[/quote]

If a fault in the amp made the case live, the current would flow through the earth wire and blow a fuse. If said earth wire was missing, it would attempt to flow through an alternative path, usually the drummer's dick...in which case the RCD would detect the difference between current flowing into Live and out of Neutral and switch the amp off. So the drummer's dick would only be excited for a few milliseconds and be perfectly fine for its usual aprés-gig entertainment.