Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz Streamliner vs Shuttle - what is the difference?

Paul S

I very much liked the GB Shuttle 6 when I tried it and am considering getting a GB of some description to give me a choice of amp/back up as . But frankly the different ranges and models confuse the hell out of me. Can anyone outline, preferably in words of one syllable or less, what the main pros and cons are of these different ranges? Also, it seems the 900W versions are more popular, but I don't understand why. And, finally, what are the improvements of the newer .2 models.

ta!

May I recommend the following:

Streamliner: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-27szg61bw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-27szg61bw[/url]

Shuttle: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqancBS121M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqancBS121M[/url]

I have a Streamliner 900 - the extra 300w weren't much more money and I was aware that some of our favourite bass cabs are power-hungry.

Thank you! Having spent 20 mins enjoying those vids, would it be fair to say the main differences are simpler controls for the Streamliner and more colour to the tone. 900W versions give more bottom because they aren't designed to be treamed with smaller cabs?

I have a Barefaced Compact + Midget so guess the 900W wouldn't be too much.

Edited by Paul S

In a nutshell, yes. I think the Streamliner is less versatile but has more character/colour IMO. It sounds great with all my basses - bright modern ones and big fat sounding one, fretted & fretless too. I've tried it with a BF Compact in Happy Jack's bass den and it sounded great to me. I believe those BF cabs like some oomph so I agree 900w won't be too much.

There's lots of good stuff on TalkBass about both amps. A guy called KJung has a lot of practical & useful stuff to say about the Streamliner.

• Like 1

I've had both and the Imo the Shuttle 6.0 has as you say less colour to the sound, very hi-fi. The Streamliner is warmer and more kind of rounded in sound to my ears.
The newer .2 Shuttles I'd be very interested in trying reckon they would be the best of both worlds..

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1341864499' post='1725420']
I've had both and the Imo the Shuttle 6.0 has as you say less colour to the sound, very hi-fi. The Streamliner is warmer and more kind of rounded in sound to my ears.
The newer .2 Shuttles I'd be very interested in trying reckon they would be the best of both worlds..
[/quote]

Agree, if the notes have more heft as
Promised it will be a great balance between the two. I have a shuttle 6.0 and bought a streamliner, and although it sounded great it just wasn't rocking my boat like the shuttle. To me every now again I feel the 6 needed a bit of the streamliner girth. A 6.2 is on the radar for sure. Both great amps.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1341866475' post='1725457']
What does the Shuttle .2 bring to the party that the original lacks?
[/quote]

More ommph, better gain on tap, the filter buttons are less extreme (in a good way) and basically an improvement on the tone when you push it hard, (3DPM).

All good stuff then. Thanks again.

Another question about watts/driving cabs/headroom etc - I currently use a TC Electronic Classic 450, which I like a lot. Volume-wise I have never had to play beyond 11 o'clock into 4ohms so feel I have all the power I need with that kind of head. With regard to driving the cabs with a more powerful amp, would there be any advantages/disadvantages in getting, say, the Shuttle 9.2 model but playing at lower volume setting on the amp, as opposed to a 6.2 which I am sure would be perfectly loud enough for my puroses?

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1341907623' post='1725800']

Another question about watts/driving cabs/headroom etc - I currently use a TC Electronic Classic 450, which I like a lot. Volume-wise I have never had to play beyond 11 o'clock into 4ohms so feel I have all the power I need with that kind of head. With regard to driving the cabs with a more powerful amp, would there be any advantages/disadvantages in getting, say, the Shuttle 9.2 model but playing at lower volume setting on the amp, as opposed to a 6.2 which I am sure would be perfectly loud enough for my puroses?
[/quote]

It would just, IME, give you more 'clean' headroom before the clever limiting kicks in and makes it sound like a more traditional tube amp being pushed.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1341908671' post='1725821']
It would just, IME, give you more 'clean' headroom before the clever limiting kicks in and makes it sound like a more traditional tube amp being pushed.
[/quote]

+1

All IMO but having gone from a TC Classic 450 to a Streamliner 900 recently and done a reasonable number of gigs with it, I'm more "convinced" by the Streamliner's "valve'yness" than I was with the Classic 450.

The Classic 450 is a great amp but I've just found the Streamliner more "cultured" and detailed. One thing I did find is that the Streamliner seems a lot more "open" and articulate in the top end (I'm sure the actual presence of valves in the preamp and a LOT more headroom help with this). From the limited experience of the Shuttle, that's even more brilliantly detailed but less coloured in the tonal options.

The Streamliner for me goes from warm and clean to warm and crunchy to then outrageously driven and all these steps are thoroughly convincing. Again, IMO, but in comparision now, the Classic 450 is a bit "one trick pony". Admittedly, a great trick though B)

In terms of "real world" volume, the Classic 450 and Streamliner 900 are pretty comparable, surprising that there's a difference in wattage. I've not found either amp to be lacking in grunt.

As ever, see if you can find a Shuttle or Streamliner and give them a go so you can form your own opinion.

T

Edited by tonyf

I've Both, Shuttle and Streamliner both 900w! I use the Shuttle in Blues/Rock bands, and the Streamliner in Country bands! I use 2x Bergie HD210 cabs, I think it's a matter of 'pay your money and make your choice' saying that I do prefer the 'older/warmer' sound of the Streamliner, it's probabbly due to the 3 pre-amp valves! Still can't fault either amp though!

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1341907623' post='1725800']

Another question about watts/driving cabs/headroom etc - I currently use a TC Electronic Classic 450, which I like a lot. Volume-wise I have never had to play beyond 11 o'clock into 4ohms so feel I have all the power I need with that kind of head. With regard to driving the cabs with a more powerful amp, would there be any advantages/[b]disadvantages in getting, say, the Shuttle 9.2 model but playing at lower volume setting [/b]on the amp, as opposed to a 6.2 which I am sure would be perfectly loud enough for my puroses?
[/quote]

I find that If I use the 6.0 with a 4 ohm cab I can only have it so quiet without it not really sounding right, a bit like an old valve guitar amp needing to be driven at least a bit to get going, Its not a major issue but for quiet practices or even backing an acoustic act I cant drive the output enough with that amp. Its less of an issue with an 8 ohm cab (my 1x12) but its still there and I presume would only become worse with another 300 watts? The 3.0 is great for home use as it has no fan noise (still does not get warm though). No sign of a Shuttle 3.2 then? great little amp :)

[quote name='Gordon Thudmaster May' timestamp='1341922143' post='1726172']
I've Both, Shuttle and Streamliner both 900w! I use the Shuttle in Blues/Rock bands, and the Streamliner in Country bands! I use 2x Bergie HD210 cabs, I think it's a matter of 'pay your money and make your choice' saying that I do prefer the 'older/warmer' sound of the Streamliner, it's probabbly due to the 3 pre-amp valves! Still can't fault either amp though!
[/quote]

Great statement, I had both and kept the Shuttle, the Streamliner was way too bottom endy for my liking so i'm still looking for an alternative to pair with the Shuttle. "Horses for courses"