Why become a member? ×

Half rack type thing

tonyf

I downsized last year from an EBS HD-350 + wireless + tuner in a rack to a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 but tbh, whilst the GB head is stunningly amazing, I'm really missing the convenience of dropping the rack on top of the cab, unbolting the faces of the rack and having all the speaker cables, power lead and effects loop leads ready to connect up.

Has anyone racked up a class D amp into a lightweight half rack case? If so, where did you get one from and how much?

T

I've not got a half width rack, but I've put my GK MB800 in to a Gator Shallow abs rack case with some other bits n bobs for a super light and convenient system. It is full 19" width though.

I`ve seen a GK MB Fusion, with a DBX Compressor, and a tuner, in a rack that was just the width of the GK amp. Apparently it was custom made by Flightcasewarehouse.

Have to admit, although it`s nice and easy having my amp in my leads box, so less to carry, I`ve also been thinking about putting it in a rack case, so all leads etc are already connected. Plug the speaker lead into the cab, power lead into wall socket, away you go.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1341703720' post='1723100']
I`ve seen a GK MB Fusion, with a DBX Compressor, and a tuner, in a rack that was just the width of the GK amp. Apparently it was custom made by Flightcasewarehouse.

Have to admit, although it`s nice and easy having my amp in my leads box, so less to carry, I`ve also been thinking about putting it in a rack case, so all leads etc are already connected. Plug the speaker lead into the cab, power lead into wall socket, away you go.
[/quote]

GK do rack ears for the MB series, they're long at the front so they effectively widen the face of the amp to a full 1u. You obviously have to take off the rubber feet too since they make it taller than 1u (assuming you have something below it).

KInd of defeats the object for me..go light, small and compact and then rack it to get close to where you would start with a full sized amp.
The whole point of these mini amps...as far as I am concerned...is that you throw them in a bag and over your shoulder.

Not a route I'd go down anyway until I find a mini amp that is as good as my full amp.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1341703720' post='1723100']
[/quote]

Exactly what I'm looking to achieve. Just unbolt the ends of the rack, plug in and job done.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1341729359' post='1723160']
KInd of defeats the object for me..go light, small and compact and then rack it to get close to where you would start with a full sized amp.
The whole point of these mini amps...as far as I am concerned...is that you throw them in a bag and over your shoulder.
Not a route I'd go down anyway until I find a mini amp that is as good as my full amp.
[/quote]

I can see your point but for me, it's not just the size/weight.

TBH, the Streamliner IS as good as the full amp (an EBS head) it's replaced. In fact, it's an absolute killer amplifier and I'm chuffed with it. The fact that it's a third of the weight and size and three times the power make it even better.

I'm looking at it from a purely practical point of view. I gig a lot with my two covers bands. I just want something that is quick and easy to setup and pack away at gigs. I currently use a Gigskinz case. It does the "throw it over the shoulder and away you go" thing very well but it's still "a thing" to take. The downside is that whilst it's portable, I need to unzip it, unpack the amp, power leads and speaker cables, unpack the wireless from the pocket, get the extension out and then connect it all together. That's taking a lot of time and hassle that I never had before, both before and after the show.

In terms of the weight, with the Streamliner and wireless in a lightweight ABS, that'll be probably still be only a third or less of the weight and size of the EBS rig I had, all in a little box that I can carry in one hand and probably only the same footprint as the Gigskinz.

T

You mean like this:

Case was custom made to my design by Flightcase Warehouse. I drilled the bottom of case to line up with the feet holes in the amp which stands off on spacers. Also drilled a hole in the side to line up with the MB Fusion fan. It fits neatly on top of the Schreoder 1212L and make a wicked compact loud lightweight rig. Will take picture when it stops raining, :lol:, and I can retrieve it all from the car.

This was version #1.

I still have a spare rack case like this for sale but it has no front or rear covers. 3U rack strip at front only and about 300mm deep.

Ahhhh, haaaaa. Knew I'd seen something similar before.

Great setup Dave, that looks the kinda thing I'd be looking. 1U for the amp, 1U for the Sennheiser wireless and 1U for a plate to carry the extensions to the ariels from the wireless.

Love the 4-way bolted to the back. Great idea.

Dave, do you know if Flightcase Warehouse would be able to do an ABS version?

If it's not too personal a question, what was the approximate cost on this?

Cheers
Tony

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1341756526' post='1723592']

Dave, do you know if Flightcase Warehouse would be able to do an ABS version?

[/quote]

As far as I am aware ABS cases are mass produced by injection moulded and therefore not suitable for custom builds.

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1341756526' post='1723592']

If it's not too personal a question, what was the approximate cost on this?

[/quote]

The basic case was just short of £120. I already had the rack trays which came from a Gator wireless mic rack case. The rest I made.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1341702909' post='1723096']
I've not got a half width rack, but I've put my GK MB800 in to a Gator Shallow abs rack case with some other bits n bobs for a super light and convenient system. It is full 19" width though.
[/quote]

if I were to do this, with only putting the GK MB Fusion 500 in one, would I need a 1u, 2u, or 3u (I`m not too good with this technical lark)?

As far as I can see, by the internal dimensions stated, it looks like 2u, but like said, I`m a bit of a dunce with anything practical.

So if I were to get a 2u (wouldn`t want 1u, in case the lead became unplugged, would never get my hand in a 1u), I`d need the rack-ears, and a facing plate for the spare slot. This could end up being both costly, and a lot more malarkey than I figured. Spose it was a nice idea.

Yeah in theory, though if I were to rack my Fusion, I'll be honest, I'd just get a friend to make the rack ears. Though it'd be nice to have "proper" ones, they're basically just bent bits of metal with a few holes in. Same as the plate to fill the other 1u slot. I probably shouldn't be saying that as an endorsee (gogo buy lots of GK stuff!), but hey, honesty is the best policy. ;) Depends if you know anyone that can do the metalwork needed.

I've never felt the need to rack mine though. The whole advantage for me of the MB series is their size and weight. If you rack them up, it defeats the point in my eyes.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1341776533' post='1724023']
Take off the feet and all the MB heads are 1u :) The MB200 might even be 1/2u, can't remember off the top of my head.
[/quote]

MB200 is 1U but less than half a rack wide as shown in my third picture.

Ahh! Thom beat me to a reply! Yup, the MB's are 1u high. I keep mine in a 4u rack with a 1u distortion preamp and probably will slip my compressor and half rack digital EQ in there too.

Not quite what you had in mind, but like Tony it's not just the size that is the clincher for me. Yes I've effectively quadrupled the weight of the Genz by putting it in a rack :) but it's still a whole load lighter than the case was when it had my SM-900 in it :blink: and it's the sheer convenience of having it all racked up that I like. Take the front and the back off, cable bag out, aerials on, connect the speakers and the mains and the cable snake to/from the Pod and voila it's all done. I can set up in the time it takes my guitarist to get his cable holdall open :lol:

That`s the sortof thing - I`d only be putting my GK MB Fusion into the rack (maybe a tuner too), but it`s the having all leads connected thing, for convenience. Front & back off, plug in the speaker lead to the speaker, mains lead in the wall, ready to go, rather than this lead/that lead/that pedal.

Just need to get back playing, evaluate what I really need for my set-up, and then plan accordingly.