Why become a member? ×

Another boring old 2x10 cab build

EdwardHimself

Bit bored so I decided to build another 2x10 bass cab. I built one in year 12 but that didn't turn out as well as I wanted (got a U for AS level Product Design lol) so I am going to do another one. Before, I was just pretty much making up as I went along. This time however I have reverse-engineered my existing bass cab; an Eden Metro, except without the top section where the amplifier sits. Also, the measurements will be slightly off, given that I'm building in mm and the cab would have been done in inches and also due to the carpet, which will add a little to the thickness of the plywood layer when measuring. I am planning on having this sit in a vertical position, above my existing combo.

Here is a model I made on solidworks, using the same measurements I am going to build the actual cab out of.

I made this view of all the parts so I would remember what size all the panels are and whereabouts I should cut them out of the wood. The 3 big rectangles correspond to the size of the plywood sheets I have. The left 2 are both 5'x2' and 18 mm thick and the right one is 3'x4' and 15 mm. I have already got the wood:

Hope to make a bit more of a start on this tomorrow.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1341345975' post='1717551']
Apparently you're better off stacking the cones rather than placing them side by side. Supposed to give better somethingorother.
[/quote]

Yeah, I did say I was going to mount it vertically in a "traffic light" configuration. It's basically just to do with the way it spreads around a room; if you have horizontal speakers, they interfere with each other, giving "dead spots" where the sound isn't as loud at certain angles around the cab.

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1341346092' post='1717553']
Your plans inspire more confidence than my last build which were sketched on a small piece of paper... Good luck :)
[/quote]

Thanks. Yep, just decided to go for it this time, no pissing about.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='rubis' timestamp='1341347119' post='1717582']
Nice one Edward, this is on my 'to do' list.
I will be watching and learning
What drivers are you using?
[/quote]

No idea lol. I thought I would just get the cab done first and then worry about drivers. Probably something that is similar in specification to my existing speakers though.

Ok so I decided to buy a pair of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400306700925?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Not particularly because they're neo (this is going to be a hell of a heavy cab whatever speakers it has in it!) but simply because it had the right sort of specs in terms of freqency response (I would have ideally liked a bit more low end but you can't win them all), impedance and sensitivity. And of course price lol.

So bought pretty much all the crap I need to build this, apart from the grille and foam. This is what I will be covering it with:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270982497399?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649"]http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2649[/url]

slightly worrying that they missed out the first "c"; let's hope their product is a bit better than their spelling :unsure:

Also the bad news is that the crossover/input panel unit is going to take 2 to 3 weeks to get to the store, so it will be a bit of a wait until I can get it complete. The speakers should be here tomorrow though.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1341344293' post='1717514']
I built one in year 12 but that didn't turn out as well as I wanted...[/quote]

Bloody hell Ed, you certainly leave a long time between builds! :lol:
Good luck btw - subscribed.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1341433151' post='1719068']
Bloody hell Ed, you certainly leave a long time between builds! :lol:
Good luck btw - subscribed.
[/quote]

Please don't subscribe- you make me feel as if I have to do something :lol:

I got these today:

Apologies for the dirty sofa. I only ordered them yesterday, great service! They are 16 ohm as you can see so they will be wired in parallel for 8 ohm total. Also got a 15 mm router bit to cut out the recesses for the speaker panel.

Hi Edward,
Those Celestions are decent but might struggle in a ported cab especially that size, would definitely benefit from a high-pass filter before the amplifier. The port area also looks a bit overkill for their displacement capability! I suspect they were designed with compact sealed cabs in mind, either a 410 or as part of a classic 210/115 stack.
Good luck with the build, if the port tuning is in the right balpark it could sound very nice at lower levels!

Edited by LawrenceH

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1341501218' post='1720128']
Hi Edward,
Those Celestions are decent but might struggle in a ported cab especially that size, would definitely benefit from a high-pass filter before the amplifier. The port area also looks a bit overkill for their displacement capability! I suspect they were designed with compact sealed cabs in mind, either a 410 or as part of a classic 210/115 stack.
Good luck with the build, if the port tuning is in the right balpark it could sound very nice at lower levels!
[/quote]

I was not really entirely happy with the low end response of these speakers, but I had to compromise with these. I thought these seemed similar to the speakers in my old Markbass 210HF which was pretty much the same size with double front vents though.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1341499793' post='1720101']
How about a purely vertical 4x10, 6x10 or 8x10 next? :P
[/quote]

Honestly, I have been very tempted to do something like that, put a red, yellow and 2 green speakers in it and call it "the traffic light" :D I think for purely practical reasons though, you would want to split it up into 2 2x10 cabs. Also not sure how fantastic a 4x10 vertical cab would sound.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1341505144' post='1720217']
Possibly. I assumed the speakers were similar to what you would find in a markbass cab, which was similar dimensions to this one. I have bought a tweeter for this cab also, and as such have ordered a combination crossover/input panel with a frequency of 3.5 kHz, which is the top end of these speakers' frequency response:
[/quote]

The Markbass used to use something like the B&C 10hpl64, which has lower Fs and a tad more excursion. I don't know if they still do.
Anyway, yours will hopefully sound great but if you get problems then an HPF, possibly combined with tweaking the porting, will probably help a lot.

Here is the current line up. Managed to cut out 6 pieces so far. 6! Not bad for 2 days of work...

This is the fabric I am using. I ordered 2 metres but I actually got closer to 2.3 which is great news because I will be able to wrap one piece around the whole of the side 4 faces of the cab.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1341739847' post='1723266']
No, I'm not. do I need to be? It says 'Posted image' where the photo should appear. I'm not logged into Facebook when I use Chrome but I can see the photos in that browser.
[/quote]

It's just that I am using facebook to host my images. I have no idea. You ought to ask one of the mods or something.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1341742857' post='1723336']
Never mind all that, where's this cab?
I hope you're not going to waste the whole afternoon watching the bloody tennis, Ed..? :huh: ;)
[/quote]

I cut out one piece today but I think I might have to do it again anyway, which is tres irritatant.