Why become a member? ×

fEARful 12/6/1 build

RichardH

Thanks Richard.

The Fearful builds and the newer Fearless f112 look really interesting, but without some sort of defined specs it makes it hard to comparison shop. A broadband SPL chart @ 1W/1M is sort of what I'm used to looking at now and would be a help if anyone else knows of any....

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1353168360' post='1872350']
Thanks for that! Interesting that the graphs only go down to 100hz. I'd like to know what's happening below that. I'll keep hunting.
[/quote]

At 100Hz and below it's far easier to look at the simulations, which are pretty accurate at these frequencies, often more than measurements done under non-ideal conditions

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kind of hard to say, as it depends on what tools you have, skill/experience levels, desired finish etc. If you took it steady you should get one done in a couple of weekends from 8x4 sheet to completed cab - they're similar to a BFM Omni in complexity, but without the need to cut non 90 degree angles.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a couple of orders in the pipeline - it's taken a while to get get going with this for various reasons, but we should be starting to get them going very shortly - we have one kit cut and Mike and I are getting together tomorrow all being well to go over it and make sure it's good enough to send out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't comment on which sounds "best" - the key difference between the Alpha/Alphalite and the 18 Sound driver (apart from the price) is that the 18Sound is more efficient and is therefore louder. This is why it is needed for the 15 range as the 15" woofer kicks out more than the 12". If used in a single 12" cab, you need toi pad back the 18Sound otherwise it will be too prominent. The only reason to use the 18Sound in a 12" cab is if you intend to pair it with (say) a 12Sub - then you can have a pad switch for the mid to have it eitehr in padded "mode" when using the 12/6 by itself, or unpadded with you stack it with the 12Sub.

The crossover for the 18Sound dirver is different from the Alpha crossover, and has a couple more components in it.

Yes, you need a separate crossover for the tweeter too - in fact it is just a high pass filter, allowing only frequencies above 6Khz through. A lot of people find they don't need the tweeter, as the mid reaches right up to 6Khz so it's not like you won't get zip and sparkle from the mid.

Hi. Just found this thread, most interesting. I have just built a fEARful 12/6 and it is an incredible cab, I love it. In fact I had built a mirrored pair, only one with drivers so far but I really can't see me needing the two. I used the 18 sound mid. I actually found my own wood as I hadn't come across the kits but they do make sense and it will make life a lot more simple if the bits are all ready to go. I have ordered the crossover parts from Richard and will be fitting them later. At the moment I am running the cab biamped from an F-1X and using an MC2 power amp. Won't bother with trying to describe the sound, others on the greenboy fEARful forum have done a fine job, but I am certainly a convert. If anyone wants to hear one, give me a shout. As a matter of interest, the prices quoted by the authorised builder are very realistic, it is not much cheaper to build it yourself. One other thing, I built it using 12 mm poplar ply. Very lightweight, I used the standard bracing and there are no issues with rigidity. The ply is soft so time will tell how it lasts in the van.

• 3 months later...

Got my prebuilt yesterday. All the stuff minus drivers. The quality is awesome. No DIY look here. The team at speaker builder have been sorting production issues out for a while!! I ordered the cab back in November, taking a punt on the product as I like to support small independent's, and my SMX trace is killing my back (okay I'm soft). I'll bung some photos up as soon as I get my sh*t together. It isn't always about the name on the front (ampeg had to start somewhere) and we all buy products for the name, sometimes its good to take a risk, lets hope I've not shot myself in the foot. Good job Richard and Mike. Its a fearful 12/6/1 Cube

Edited by Kipper

Thanks Peter. We've had quite a time of it getting going with this - and Peter and the other people who've placed orders have been very understanding. We're slowly getting there, and are working through backlogs. Once we have things back on track, we're confident that we'll be able to turn cab orders round in a much more timely fashion.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaker Builder Prebuilt Kit, minus coils (coming soon)

Cab Painted in Wine Red Tuffcab. Finish is looking good, Much better than expected. Used about 2/3 of a 1KG tub to give you an idea.

[attachment=138201:Speaker Builder Prebuilt 1261.jpg]
[attachment=138202:Cab After Tuffcab.jpg]

Edited by Kipper