Why become a member? ×

HiFi Club - Leeds

BambusBoy

Hi Everyone!

Long shot but my band have just been offered a gig at the HiFi Club in Leeds. Just wondered if anyone has heard of this club (or gigged there?)

BTW we are an 11 piece Soul/Funk band (Bambus City Strut). The dates offered are all on a Sunday so it'll be a nice excuse to take the Monday off as we are all Londonders.

Thanks
Sujay

This is a great place. I've gigged there a few times, back when I was with a jazz/funk outfit. It's been a few years now, but they used to have "The Sunday Joint" where bands would play each week, as opposed to the great funky discos on other nights. It's a good-sized stage, good PA, and when I was there, an experienced and friendly soundguy.

It was never quite as busy as a Friday or Saturday, as can be expected, but it's still buzzing and they should be up dancing in no time. Unless you're sh*t :lol:

Enjoy. :)

edit, just listened to your band - really good stuff - you'll go down a treat.

Edited by Roland Rock

Awesome mate - thank you. I knew someone on here would know.

It makes so much difference if the soundperson is friendly as we all know. Last place we placed in London (Bedford in Balham) had an amazing sound lady and they streamed the whole thing on the web.

Thanks again Roland

I've played there a few times. is a great little club. Is downstairs though so in and out is a bit of a pain. Not terrible though. Stage is quite small, just a couple of steps up. You will be a bit cosy but should fit. Has a bit of a jazz/latino/soul reputation. Def worth a gig. Enjoy buddy

I played there a few years back, awesome club, and your band will definitely go down well there.

Just a thought, but have you tried The Yardbird in Birmingham as well? Ollie there is a nice guy and it's a storming gig, played there a few times. You wouldn't get an 11 piece in there though, so you may need to go as a smaller outfit if that's possible?!?!

[quote name='BambusBoy' timestamp='1340871739' post='1710665']
Thank you both BassJamm and Fumps :)

BassJamm thanks for the heads up on the Yardbird - just what we need to know
[/quote]

You're welcome pal. They're both killer venues.

And of course there's the jazz cafe in Camden. The band I was in got a few gigs there. All were last minute support slots for hardly any dollar but awesome fun.

Just had to keep emailing and making phone calls ad with most venues.

Bath had a pretty vibrant jazz/funk scene too. There's a lovely bar called green park which may suit you guys.

Agree on The Wardrobe. They're both similar venues in terms of vibe and clientele but The Wardrobe is bigger. Always good in the adjoining bar above where musos from Leeds College of Music turn up and jam regulary. Check out Kenny Higgins a genius bassist often in there (You Tube him if you want convincing) Andy

@Bassjamm - thanks mate - yes we played the Jazz Cafe in March this year great fun (I reckon I'm following a path you've already funkified for me :)

@Roland - its on our list now thanks to your suggestion.

@Bassmonkey - thanks for the tip off - will check him out!