Why become a member? ×

4ohm or 8 ohm ashdown cabs

Mr Fretbuzz

I'm thinking of getting a mag 300 or 600 head but don't understand ohms. Some cabs are 4 and others 8. The head says that minimum inpedence is 4 ohm. What's it all about guys? I'm thinking I might want to get one cab and maybe add another if that's possible or the other alternative is to get a 300 or 600 combo and add to that.

How many cabs can you add to a head unit?
What ohm do they need to be?
How many cabs can you add to a combo and what ohm do they need to be etc

I'm going to meditate now...ohm ohm :-D

Right, it's like this...

You can add cabs until you hit the minimum impedance figure.

Two 8 ohm cabs equal a 4 ohm load.

So, using the MAG as an example, you can run two 8 ohm cabs on the amp and you will get the maximum volume that the amp can produce.

If you go below 4 ohms (so adding a third cab or using an 8 ohm and a 4 ohm cab at the same time) then you're probably headed for an expensive repair bill.

How's that? :)

Ace, thanks a lot. They've brought out a couple of new 4. X 10 cabs..one is 4 ohm and the other 8. Not sure why they would do that .... I guess the 4 ohm is more powerful in one unit and the other is more flexible so you could add say a 15 inch 8 ohm cab? Would it be worth adding a 15 or just get the 4 ohm 4x10 ?

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1340569976' post='1706458']
Ace, thanks a lot. They've brought out a couple of new 4. X 10 cabs..one is 4 ohm and the other 8. Not sure why they would do that .... I guess the 4 ohm is more powerful in one unit and the other is more flexible so you could add say a 15 inch 8 ohm cab? Would it be worth adding a 15 or just get the 4 ohm 4x10 ?
[/quote]

This is where planning ahead is going to make the difference.

If you think you need the whole 600W on day one and reckon that you can get the sort of sound 'spread' that you like from a single 4x10 then you need to go for that 4 ohm one.
Beware though - that'll be 'it' as far as future expansion is concerned.

If it's unlikely you'd need the full 600W on day one then I'd go for the 4x10 8 ohm and leave myself a litle expansion space for another cab later, if I decided I needed it.

manhandle two cabs about, then that would make sense.

If you think that you might only need the full 600W for an occasional gig then

Mr Fretbuzz,

I used, until recently, a Mag 600 head with a 2x10 & 1x15 Ashdown cabs, both 8 Ohm. Gave me the Flexibility to only use one cab at smaller gigs, but PLENTY of oomph! at larger ones with both. Worked well.

If you're lloking for a 600 head I have one for sale. Take a look at the following link.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/179273-fs-ashdown-600-head-evo-ii-with-octaver-compressor-l200/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/179273-fs-ashdown-600-head-evo-ii-with-octaver-compressor-l200/[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1340568800' post='1706435']
Right, it's like this...

You can add cabs until you hit the minimum impedance figure.

Two 8 ohm cabs equal a 4 ohm load.

So, using the MAG as an example, you can run two 8 ohm cabs on the amp and you will get the maximum volume that the amp can produce.

If you go below 4 ohms (so adding a third cab or using an 8 ohm and a 4 ohm cab at the same time) then you're probably headed for an expensive repair bill.

How's that? :)
[/quote]It's not quite that simple. It all depends on how you connect the cabs to the head.

If the cabs are connected in parallel - ie each cabs is plugged into each separate output of your Ashdown amp, then the ohm rating is halved - ie two 8 ohm cabs will result in a resistance of four ohms which is your ultimate goal to get the best out of your amp.

However, if you connect in serial - ie the second cab plugged into the first cab which is plugged into the head - then you double the resistance, meaning two 8 ohm cabs will combine to make a 16 ohm load.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1341753573' post='1723556']
Bloody hell congratulations mate :D

Don't forget to upload a picture of your new rig when it arrives so we have something to drool over!
[/quote]

Cheers not bad for £1 lucky dip bought on the spur of the moment..one more number and it would have been either 175k or 1.3m, still can't complain eh...I get my Amp :-). Going to get the MAG 300 Evo iii 2x10 combo to start with :-)

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1341760611' post='1723658']
It's not quite that simple. It all depends on how you connect the cabs to the head.

If the cabs are connected in parallel - ie each cabs is plugged into each separate output of your Ashdown amp, then the ohm rating is halved - ie two 8 ohm cabs will result in a resistance of four ohms which is your ultimate goal to get the best out of your amp.

However, if you connect in serial - ie the second cab plugged into the first cab which is plugged into the head - then you double the resistance, meaning two 8 ohm cabs will combine to make a 16 ohm load.
[/quote]

Never heard this before! Is that just with this particular head or what?

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1341766120' post='1723778']
Never heard this before! Is that just with this particular head or what?
[/quote]Ohms law.

http://physics.bu.edu/py106/notes/Circuits.html

[url="http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm"]http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm[/url]

Edited by Doctor J

[/quote]

Wrong I'm afraid.
Unless you have cables specially made to force the cabs to be used in series, this method will still result in the cabs being in parallel.

[/quote]

I do hope no-one is misled by this completely inaccurate statement into daisy-chaining two 4 ohm cabs thinking they'll get 8 ohms...

Where cabs have two connectors, they will be connected in parallel. So two 8 ohm cabs will combine to make a 4 ohm load.