Why become a member? ×

Replacement Preamp for MM Stingray 5 String

I've just taken delivery of a MM Stingray 5 String and it is easily one of the best basses I've ever had the pleasure of playing.

Playability is superb, but I'm a little underwhelmed by the preamp. Coming from a background of playing mostly passive basses and in particular P basses, I am looking for a warm sounding, not too boomy sound (particularly on the B String) and I don't seem to be able to dial in the sound I have in my head.

Are there any replacement preamps out there that could give me the sound I'm looking for?

Not much help I know, but you're not alone. I love my SR5 but have become increasingly frustrated with the lack of tonal variety. And have often thought about swapping out the pre in order to get a deeper low end.

Trouble is if you do that it stops sounding like a 'ray.

I've also toyed with adding in a second pup, but can't bring myself to do it!

Might be worth dropping OBBM a line, he has a beautiful SR5 I'm pretty sure he's changed the neck, pup and pre, so will have some insight.

[quote name='gilmour' timestamp='1340700953' post='1708170']
Trouble is if you do that it stops sounding like a 'ray.
[/quote]

Take the 'ray pre and put it in a pedal. Change to a John East and ask for an additional clean output (or stereo output with one side clean), merge the two signals in a box with a blend and ultimate 'ray sound :D

How's that?

Edited by charic

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1340707415' post='1708265']
Take the 'ray pre and put it in a pedal. Change to a John East and ask for an additional clean output (or stereo output with one side clean), merge the two signals in a box with a blend and ultimate 'ray sound :D

How's that?
[/quote]

That's an awesome idea... and I did not see it... :huh:

Nick

Unfortunately the MM pick-up and the pre-amp work together. If you change the pre-amp to anything other than the MM then you'll lose the coil switching.

It is possible to replicate the coil switching using a multi-pole switch but you'll get a volume change between settings and you need to rewire the pickup slightly. i.e. separate the coils and add an extra wire. I went through several combinations (East, OBP3, Duncan, Bartolini) and settled with an Alnico Nordstrand MM5.3 pick-up and a stock MM pre-amp. It works for me.