Why become a member? ×

NBD: Cort GB74, MM/J - first day review

mcnach

I was checking other reviews etc, and found this:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/139724-sold-upgraded-cort-gb74/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/139724-sold-upgraded-cort-gb74/[/url]

kinda pretty in blue too ;)
Not as good a price as mine was, but still very reasonable I think.

Funny that the preamp was gutted and the pickups changed on that one. Not surprised. I think this bass has a lot of potential. It's fine as it is, but it can be much better with little hassle I think.

I've got the older, cheaper version in a funky blue with a pearloid pickguard and pearl blocks on a rosewood neck. Very showy and very bright sounding but I dropped it and f***ed up the stacked bass/treble EQ knob so is now stuck at a default treble boost which makes it hard to use.

[quote name='allihts' timestamp='1340041779' post='1698170']
I've got the older, cheaper version in a funky blue with a pearloid pickguard and pearl blocks on a rosewood neck. Very showy and very bright sounding but I dropped it and f***ed up the stacked bass/treble EQ knob so is now stuck at a default treble boost which makes it hard to use.
[/quote]

You should get it fixed, I can't imagine it'd be too hard. Is the actual pot damaged? Is it wired via cables or inserted into the PCB of the preamp?

Recently aquired a fretless fiver, its a very well put together bass, not too heavy and balances well. The low B isn't great but I have a new set of strings in the post and if they improve matters, I might consider an electrical upgrade, as I agree with the previous posts regarding pickups and circuit.

Here's a pic (courtesy of mykesbass - hope you dont mind :rolleyes: )

[attachment=110799:CortBass001.jpg]

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1340045943' post='1698276']
Recently aquired a fretless fiver, its a very well put together bass, not too heavy and balances well. The low B isn't great but I have a new set of strings in the post and if they improve matters, I might consider an electrical upgrade, as I agree with the previous posts regarding pickups and circuit.

Here's a pic (courtesy of mykesbass - hope you dont mind :rolleyes: )

[attachment=110799:CortBass001.jpg]
[/quote]

Nice looking bass! I didn't know there were fretless versions.

@McNach The pot was damaged so I replaced it with a status one (the only company I could find that make 100k/100k stacked pot). Some dogey soldering later and it works but doesn't sound as good (to my ears) as the original. Only ever really play my Fender Jazz now though so it's not the end of the world.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1340057100' post='1698566']
Nice looking bass! I didn't know there were fretless versions.
[/quote]

The previous owner, Mykesbass had the board replaced by john shuker, as I recall. Made a cracking job of it too! B)

I got some SIT silencer halfwounds through the letterbox today so I'll fit them when time allows and see if there is an improvement in the B string. Might be a U-Retro incoming if it turns out alright ;)

[quote name='allihts' timestamp='1340114798' post='1699306']
@McNach The pot was damaged so I replaced it with a status one (the only company I could find that make 100k/100k stacked pot). Some dogey soldering later and it works but doesn't sound as good (to my ears) as the original. Only ever really play my Fender Jazz now though so it's not the end of the world.
[/quote]

Odd. If you want me to take a look at it just ask. I like fixing things :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1339868199' post='1695695']
made by the same folk that make lakland skyline
[/quote]
And G&L Tribute series, also make for Fender and ibanez and wouldn't mind betting the Sterling range.
They are the most underrated instruments on the market IMHO. I used to have the previous GB74 and regretted parting with it.
I've just got one of these:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/177014-nbd-a-corberg-or-is-it-a-sanort/page__fromsearch__1
and am absolutely made up with it.

[quote name='allihts' timestamp='1340114798' post='1699306']
[/quote]

By coincidence, I have in front of me a new, unopened, MEC (read Warwick) 100K/100K stacked pot, with push/pull switch.
They do exist, but you do have to look hard for them, it's true. Not cheap either. I think it cost me just over £25. And then I never installed it!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1340140382' post='1699952']
By coincidence, I have in front of me a new, unopened, MEC (read Warwick) 100K/100K stacked pot, with push/pull switch.
They do exist, but you do have to look hard for them, it's true. Not cheap either. I think it cost me just over £25. And then I never installed it!
[/quote]

it's part #178569, if anybody ever needs one.

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1340117143' post='1699351']
The previous owner, Mykesbass had the board replaced by john shuker, as I recall. Made a cracking job of it too! B)

I got some SIT silencer halfwounds through the letterbox today so I'll fit them when time allows and see if there is an improvement in the B string. Might be a U-Retro incoming if it turns out alright ;)
[/quote]

aha! I see.
The U-Retro would be a huge improvement!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1339884751' post='1696005']
well, if you decide to move it on... leave a note here so that I may take a look ;)
Not really needing a 5-stringer, I just sold mine in fact... but a 19mm bridge if it sounds like this one would be an attractive proposition
[/quote]

Hi as requested I'm letting you know its in the for sale section. :)

So I used it for rehearsal last night.
A bit underwhelmed, but it wasn't bad at all. I missed my MM SUB a bit, but I was using an amp that I never liked and actually not even my SUB is nice there.
PLaying with the band I find that the bridge pickup is decent, improvable but decent. The neck pickup is the one I'd me most interested in replacing. I played passively all but the initial 10 minutes. I am not liking that preamp.

Gig tonight at the French Institute, for their annual Fete de la musique thingy. We set up our gear last night. Nice big stage, decent room. I'll bring the Cort, and see what it feels like through my own amp etc. Tonight will be the critical test.

It does play really really nicely. IT feels really good, well balanced etc. I think it's a great bass to spend just a bit more to improve on the electronic part of it.

I used to own a GB94 a few years back. It's very similar, but has no pickguard, has spalted maple veneer (too thin to call it a "top") and upgraded pickups/preamp: Seymour Duncan SMB4D and QuarterPound Jazz plus Duncan Designed preamp. I recall it being very light, and I was getting a lot of compliments on its tone, especially from bandmates (they knew the difference, as I was bringing other basses to the rehearsals as well, including few different Warwicks). The Cort was by far they favourite of my basses.

And yes, there was a fretless version (not sure if it's still available anywhere). There was a limited edition called GB74P-Dao (or 75, as there was a 5-string version as well), never appeared on Cort's website, but I've seen it in a few internet stores. Had a dao wood (whatever that is) veneer and piezo in the bridge. Bound/blocked rosewood board on fretted, plain rosewood on fretless.

found some net pics, looks like fretless board is also bound:

[url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/802/img0156zg.jpg/"]http://imageshack.us.../img0156zg.jpg/[/url]

[url="http://www.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/GB75PFLBBS.JPG"]http://www.woodbrass.../GB75PFLBBS.JPG[/url]

quite sexy.

Edited by such

[quote name='such' timestamp='1340357113' post='1703180']
I used to own a GB94 a few years back. It's very similar, but no pickguard, spalted maple veneer (too thin to call it a "top") and upgraded pickups/preamp: Seymour Duncan SMB4D and QuaretPound Jazz plus Duncan Designed preamp. I recall it being very light, and I was getting a lot of compliments on its tone, especially from bandmates (they knew the difference, as I was bringing other basses to the rehearsals as well, including few different Warwicks). The Cort was by far they favourite of my basses.

And yes, there was a fretless version (not sure if it's still available anywhere). There was a limited edition called GB74P-Dao (or 75, as there was a 5-string version as well), never appeared on Cort's website, but I've seen it in a few internet stores. Had a dao wood (whatever that is) veneer and piezo in the bridge. Bound/blocked rosewood board on fretted, plain rosewood on fretless.

found some net pics, looks like fretless board is also bound:

[url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/802/img0156zg.jpg/"]http://imageshack.us.../img0156zg.jpg/[/url]

[url="http://www.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/GB75PFLBBS.JPG"]http://www.woodbrass.../GB75PFLBBS.JPG[/url]

quite sexy.
[/quote]

quite sexy???
quite an understatement!!! :) :gas:

I gigged my GB74 last night. I have to say it worked a lot better than at rehearsal the previous night, but still not fully satisfied soundwise. I really don't like the preamp, so I'm gong to get some nice pickups in there and probably leave it passive to start with. It is a lovely bass to play and I really like how it is very light, yet it is well balanced.

Tonight I am taking the SUB for the RATM gig in Inverness, and I was planning to take the Squier VM Jazz for backup... now I'm thinking maybe the Cort will be the one.

Edited by mcnach

So I'm liking this bass. But not so much in its current form because of the electronics.

So this is what will happen to it:

*pickups
I already had a Seymour Duncan SMB4A, MM style, so that will go on the bridge.
I just ordered a Seymour Duncan SJB-3 for the neck. I have that on the fretless jazz and I like it.

next the preamp will go. It works, but it's not really doing it for me. I'll see whether with the new pickups I change my mind, but I'm thinking that I will simply have a pickup miniswitch (instead of the current "slap switch"), single passive volume and tone controls... and this leaves an unused knob... I might just put a rotary switch to select from various capacitors for the tone control, and keep it all passive. Or buy the mid-sweep module from John East and install that.
we will see.

The coil selector switch might stay as it is (single coil/series humbucker/another single coil) or turn it into (series/parallel/one of the single coils)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1341057509' post='1713294']
Yes, and I have the circuit board even... but not for this bass.
In fact I'm starting to think that a mid-sweep control probably makes more sense than a full 2/3-band preamp in most basses.
[/quote]where you get the board from? make it?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1341059091' post='1713320']
where you get the board from? make it?
[/quote]

I got it from 'unclefluffy' over at TalkBass, for a couple of beer tokens.
I think he still makes a few from time to time, so you just have to get in the thread there and PM me to let him know you are interested.

• 1 month later...