Why become a member? ×

NBD: Cort GB74, MM/J - first day review

mcnach

After buying the Squier VMJ fretless from another member of this forum I was not supposed to indulge again anytime soon.
However, it's been a busier period than usual with gigs, and I had a bit of extra "toy cash" in hand when I found one of those basses.
Anybody who knows me knows I'm a sucker for natural/maple... and I did not resist much when I saw a GB74 for sale, after hearing great things about them.

Do I need another bass? Of course not. Agh. Shut up now.

My bass looks like this one, only with slightly less pronounced grain:

It's very much some kind of "superJazz" attempt. The neck is similar to a Jazz bass, but the body is much smaller. It's an extremely light bass, but no neck dive thanks to a reasonable body design that puts the top horn in a good position.

It has a couple of nice hardware touches. Hipshot light tuners. Cool. Neutrick locking jack socket. Cool. Wait, is it cool? I mean... if my bass is plugged in and somebody yanks the cable... I'd rather it becomes unplugged than having the whole bass go with it! I am not a fan of locking sockets, but it's a good tight one, so that is good. And I never leave my bass plugged in anyway.

The alnico pickups are adequate. Hard to tell right now as the strings have seen better days, so I'll wait to make a full statement after I change the strings, right now I am not certain. The sound is very much Jazz-inspired. The neck sounds... like a Jazz neck. The bridge sounds... well, it depends. You see, there is a 3-way switch. You can use it to select one coil only, the other coil only, or full humbucker (which sounds like it's wired in series to me). I like the sound of the single coil closest to the neck. Nice and growly. Makes a reasonably Jazz bass type of noise. Not a big difference between the coils, but you hear it. However, I think it's a bit pointless for live work,, those small nuances will not get heard. Still, nice to have the single coil option, whichever you may prefer. The full humbucker is meaty, and not at all Stingray like. Which is not surprising since it seems to be mounted not where it would go in a Stingray, but more where a bridge Jazz bass pickup would. So this is not Stingray + Jazz neck, this is definitely Jazz territory, with the option to make that bridge pickup solo sound a bit more meaty if you like.
Promising, but I'll wait till I put some new strings.

The other toggle switch is some kind of "slap switch", it changes the mids, it's either a mids boost or a bass/treble boost, depending how you want to look at it. Personally, I'd rather leave it neutral. And yes, I know what neutral sounds like as the volume knob can be pulled engaging a bypass switch. And I prefer the passive sounds on this bass.

The 2-band EQ is... uninspiring. Again, I'll wait to have new strings on, but it's not sounding good to me. I had briefly another Cort with a 3-band preamp and felt the same way about it. Sweet bass to play, utterly uninspiring. It was an Artisan A4 or B4 or something like that. The GB74 seems nicer to me 'though, but the preamp is not a great one.

This bass was a good deal. I see that new went for £400-500, but they are not made anymore. I think that for that price they have many rivals. But second hand are much more attractive, if you want a Jazz with that little extra, and don't mind that it doesn't sound exactly like a Jazz -but close enough. I tend to use the bridge pickup alone most of the time on Jazz basses, so this is nice for me.
It also looks great ;)

The electronics in mine are a bit noisy... need some contact cleaner sprayed, not a big deal. And new strings. The action is a bit higher than I prefer. Just a bit. No buzz, plays well all over the fretboard... but I'll try to make it a bit lower later. Looking at the neck curvature and seeing the saddles quite low on the bridge, I think adding the tiniest of shims in the neck pocket might just be what makes the difference. I'll give it a try later today... I had a beach gig but it's been cancelled because of the rain. I'm not brokenhearted. This is the coldest June in my life, it's ridiculous!!! I'm happy not to play outdoors today :) And I have some time for myself as the gf is away. Perfect timing.

I have a Seymour Duncan SMB4A pickup in my drawer. I was going to sell it... but let's see, after I change the strings I may decide to replace the pickup. The SMB4A is a great pickup.

I'm not that impressed by the preamp, like I said. Tempting to put something nicer in there if I decide to keep it long enough. But it's also tempting to remove the preamp entirely and put some passive tone control. We will see.
If this one stays, my red Squier Jazz might be on its way soon.

It's funny how different instruments make you play different things. Like they have a life of their own. I got up this morning and grabbed it... and if I didn't come up with 6 different cool funky basslines, I don't know what happened. Maybe I'll call it "funk machine". Oh, what? You say somebody else already named their bass that? Nah, I don't believe it, it's so original! :P
I recorded them all. Let's see if I still think they are good when I listen to them tomorrow :lol:

Apart from that, I'm really impressed with how the bass was put together. Really well built. Then again, if it was selling for £400-500, it'd better be well made.
Very light too, I must weigh it. Light yet balanced.

ahhh, glad someone on here got it.
I played the 5 string they had in scayles a while back when I was jazz bass shopping- the way I was looking at it was this was the almost top of the line made by the same folk that make lakland skyline- at not so much money. The whole humbucker/single coil thing intreaged me too.
The one I played was ok. I came away thinking that with a bit of a set up, the neck edges rolled a bit it would play better.
I also was trying it through one of those Fender TV amps, which have a certain amount of colour to them.... and it still sounded flat. I thought of getting it and sticking new pups and pre in it... but in the end never got one. The one you picked up was tempting me for a bit mind! :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1339868121' post='1695690']
Nice one min. :) I used to fancy one of these back in the day.
Was it the one Luke spotted on Gumtree?
[/quote]

Probably. I have a Gumtree alert thing setup for all kinds bass, and it came up on my Friday search. I called the guy in the morning and picked it up in the evening. :)

I told myself that I didn't need it, so I would only try to see it one time, on Friday evening before my night time gig, and if the guy weren't available I'd pass on it. BUt he responded straight away and was available :P

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1339868199' post='1695695']
ahhh, glad someone on here got it.
I played the 5 string they had in scayles a while back when I was jazz bass shopping- the way I was looking at it was this was the almost top of the line made by the same folk that make lakland skyline- at not so much money. The whole humbucker/single coil thing intreaged me too.
The one I played was ok. I came away thinking that with a bit of a set up, the neck edges rolled a bit it would play better.
I also was trying it through one of those Fender TV amps, which have a certain amount of colour to them.... and it still sounded flat. I thought of getting it and sticking new pups and pre in it... but in the end never got one. The one you picked up was tempting me for a bit mind! :)
[/quote]

A bit flat is how I would describe it too, right now.
Maybe it *is* flat sounding. I plugged in my Squier VM Jazz and it was much more alive... but then the strings are much more alive too.

I'm not a big fan of bound fingerboards, but this one feels ok. No sharp edges here. It seems like a lot of bass for the cash, even if it ends up needing a new pickup or two, especially since I already have a good MM type in my parts drawer.

I have a 5 string version and it's a lovely bass for the money but I'm not a fan of active circuits and fiddly switching so I'm probably going to move it on. The balance and playability are excellent for a mid price bass however and I was impressed by the hardware and finishing.

Oh, and regarding weight... using my not so accurate bathroom scales and weighing myself with/without the bass, this thing comes to 7.3 lbs.

Light indeed. Not sure if they were all this light, but if light basses are your thing, it may be worth checking these out.

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1339872246' post='1695798']
I have a 5 string version and it's a lovely bass for the money but I'm not a fan of active circuits and fiddly switching so I'm probably going to move it on. The balance and playability are excellent for a mid price bass however and I was impressed by the hardware and finishing.
[/quote]

WAIT!!! :lol:

you have the 5-string version...
you may move it on...
what's the string spacing at the bridge? Is it 19mm like the pictures make me think?

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1339872210' post='1695796']
A bit flat is how I would describe it too, right now.
Maybe it *is* flat sounding. I plugged in my Squier VM Jazz and it was much more alive... but then the strings are much more alive too.

I'm not a big fan of bound fingerboards, but this one feels ok. No sharp edges here. It seems like a lot of bass for the cash, even if it ends up needing a new pickup or two, especially since I already have a good MM type in my parts drawer.
[/quote]

Yeah, I don't know how I felt about it, it was very underwealming the one I played. Just a bit colourless, not got the energy and spring a good jazz bass has. The price you got it for though it's worth experimenting with esp if you already have the pup.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1339872420' post='1695804']

WAIT!!! :lol:

you have the 5-string version...
you may move it on...
what's the string spacing at the bridge? Is it 19mm like the pictures make me think?
[/quote]

I'll measure it when I get the opportunity tomorrow and post it, it's a comfy spacing though as I'm used to P basses and it feels 'natural' to me.

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1339873750' post='1695836']
I'll measure it when I get the opportunity tomorrow and post it, it's a comfy spacing though as I'm used to P basses and it feels 'natural' to me.
[/quote]

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1339876319' post='1695869']
I would be interested in this bass if you decide to move it on.
The low weight appeals to my poor old back and I'm not bothered about a flat sound for my dull thud style - just a deep smooth neck pick up is all I need.
[/quote]

I'll remember that, cheers. :)

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1339879046' post='1695902']
Just measured it and you are correct string spacing is a fraction under 19mms at the bridge.
[/quote]

well, if you decide to move it on... leave a note here so that I may take a look ;)
Not really needing a 5-stringer, I just sold mine in fact... but a 19mm bridge if it sounds like this one would be an attractive proposition

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1339879380' post='1695918']
It looks like pearl in the fretboard, but it seems faint?
[/quote]

not sure what your question is :)

I'm sure it's not pearl, but it's that "effect" yes.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1339882462' post='1695965']
If you are replacing the pickup, may I suggest you rewire the mini-switch to work Down=series, middle= single coil, up = parallel. You may find parallel to your liking, you never know.

G.
[/quote]

This is probably what I would do if I start rewiring it, indeed.

Well, a shim was put in the neck pocket. First attempt was a bit too much, so another try with a thinner card did the trick. After adjusting the saddles etc, now it plays much better with low action and buzz free. I also replaced the strings with my usual D'Addario EXL170, and now we're talking! Day and night. The other strings were really dead. I was able to get a lovely reggae tone before, and with new strings I don't get that deep tone anymore, but it sounds more like the way I would expect it to sound. Happy enough with the neck pickup, not entirely sure about the bridge one. Definitely the pickups are a bit of a weak point. But I'm liking it much better now. I might even leave the preamp,, which is not very good, but I like what it sounds like when I cut the treble on the bridge pickup. Fat warm growl.

My neighbours have been just treated to a full "playalong" session to that St. Germain album from 2001. :lol:

Hello McNach,

Thank you for reviewing my bass. Welcome to the club.

I've had mine over 2 years now but I didn't review it because I don't have the experience against which to assess the bass and do it justice.

Everything you've said seems to ring true with me. Like you, I prefer the sound with the selection switch favouring the neck pick-up. From what I remember the second toggle switch is described as a mids-boost switch. I think it works at about 600Hz. To me it was always seen as the cutting-through-the-mix switch.

The sound you're getting with new strings will be about right, as it's supplied from new with EXL165's.

I guess it does sound a little polite. The pick-ups/eq don't have the biggest dynamic range, but it sounds good on a lot of mainstream material. I run the eq with a just a small bass boost and the treble about flat. Like that, I have a sound that's very close to the low bass on "Bohemian Like You" (although I think that's more synth than real bass).

I like the switching possibilities because it gives a versatility. It's also good for playing along to stuff like Kooper/Bloomfield "Supersession with Harvey Brooks on bass. Jazz-a-like at the neck, flick the mids-boost for light rock, switch in all the pick-ups for standard rock.

See the back in my avatar. The circuit/schematics are still available on the Cort web-site. Enjoy.

Balcro.

Edited by Balcro

Hi Balcro,

I think I agree with you in most of what you said.
Putting new strings on really transformed it. I was rather enjoying the very deep dub/reggae tone I could get with the old strings... but NOW it sounds like a bass I would play more regularly, and after adjusting the action, it's really nice to play. I still get a weird feeling everytime I pick it up.. because it's so light. Is yours also very light?

The mid-boost switch is a bit strange. When I bypass the preamp, it sounds very much like it does with the "mids boosted"... so I see it more as a bass/treble boost. But I have to be honest, I have not been playing much with it, I leave it down all the time. I downloaded the schematics and other info I could find, but I have not checked it yet. I will do.

I have also now played a bit more with the preamp. Leaning towards keeping it. I don't see as being a bass that will become my main one. The Stingray
and SUB are still my go-to basses and I don't think that's likely to change. So I don't feel like spending much money in it, if I don't have to. And I don't think I have to. The politeness of the pickups when passive can be helped just enough with the preamp. It's funny because the setting I ended up favouring matches your description: I find that if I just add a touch of bass boost and leave the treble flat, it makes me smile ;) I think the treble frequency center is a bit higher than I'd like, if it were a little lower, it would be great to turn it down and get a very dark, mellow round sound. But it's alright. It'll work for me. So I don't think I'd bother replacing it. Still unsure about the single coil/ full humbucker selector. The thing is I really like the one coil option (either of them, I find one works better solo, the other one works better for both-pickups-on), and it's well balanced with the neck pickup. Full humbucker is clearly louder. I think having a single coil/parallel/series would me more useful for me.

Nice bass. But not a substitute for a Jazz. The neck pickup is Jazzy... and it's very nice for slap lines like "Forget me nots", but the bridge and both-on sounds are not exactly Jazz. The bridge is nice, passable for a Jazz. Both pickups on is not very much like a Jazz. IIN a way it's better, since it cuts through a lot better... but if you want "that" sound, it's just not there. Still, that's not a negative point. This is not a Jazz, but something that in some ways resembles one and to describe it it helps to compare it to a Jazz. But it's what it is, and it's nice.

I love that type of bridge, because it makes life very easy when you need to work on the bass... just loosen up strings a bit, strings unhook... and you don't need to remove them. Since it's so easy, I want to try my Seymour Duncan SMB4A on this bass, and see what it does to it. I was going to get rid off this pickup, but it may just find a new life here. However I want to become more familiar with the bass as it is, so that I can judge it better and not just replace it for the sake of it, but only if it makes a substantial difference (for the better).

Still, the final proof is using it with the band. So many basses sound great at home, but then at higher volumes in a band mix are difficult to make it sound right.
I have a gig on Thursday and I might just try it then. I don't need effects for that one, so I don't have to worry about how they interact with a different bass etc, just worry about the basic sound.