Why become a member? ×

Ampeg Portaflex PF500 Head and PF-115HE Review

pendingrequests

So about a month ago I finally bited the bullet and bought the rig that I have been researching for about the same amount of time, the Portaflex series. I wanted to give this a bit of a run through before I review it and let anyone else considering it get as much info as possible.

A bit of background to what I play, to give those who are interested in this piece of kit.

As you can see in the picture I am using an American 2008 standard Jazz with the Boss Tuner, EQ and Chorus. More on the EQ later.

[b]The music I currently play ranges from:[/b]

Indie, pop, rock, soul and worship music.

[b]It has been used in venues ranging from 500 seaters to 100 max venues.[/b]

I mainly play with fingers, slap occasionally and use a pick depending if the song calls for it.

I was using a B-2RE Head and B410HLF combo that I got on a great deal 5 years ago via imuso.co.uk. However, over time I knew the sound I wanted in my head wasn't coming out of the amp. I have had an Ashdown electric blue combo (15inch) that I always loved and is still the most reliable thing ever after 8 years in use. It was giving the sound I wanted.
A warm, deep, RnB/Soul sound. The bass tone is just sitting there between the kick drum, but is there in its own right.

The B-2RE head and cab was an absolute monster to get about, especially up a couple of flights of stairs. So this was another point into me buying the portaflex series. Every venue I now play is always DI'd, so it didn't really make sense in having such a big amp and I'll soon be using in-ears so again, no real point in having it.

If the day I require an 8x12 I will certanily consider it, but to be honest and I don't want to offend anyone here, I do not see the point in such an amp unless you are infront of 2,000 people and upwards regularly.

Your regular joe doesn't want 800 watts of bass in his face :)

Anyway to the amp itself. Thankfully a local music shop (the last of few in this country) had this in stock and as soon as i switched it on I knew it was for me. The deciding factor? It may sound silly, but this is my test. Playing the bass line ([b]and a great one might I add[/b]) Gabriel's 'Out of Reach'. It sounded so smooth, I collapsed into my own world of bass heaven.

If i wanted some punch when using a plectrum I just raised my treble knob on the jazz and still got that warmth, with a good kick. Again the same when slapping (This really only happens when I play 'Funky Music White Boy')

Whenever I used the B-2RE combo, I used the Boss EQ to give it that bit of beef and warmth I wanted, setting the EQ to match the frequencies where the kick drum sits. For the portaflex I do not use this pedal and will probably use it for a volume boost if required.

The thing about the B2-RE was that it was a great monitor being so tall, so I still getting used to the size of the PF500, however, pushing it just over the 1 o'clock position on the gain and volume works a treat.

I really cannot recommend this amp enough. Firstly, the 'Portaflex' function is incredible and everyone I show it to is impressed as to how it works and it should be shown gratitude for such a genius idea. The tone and functionailty, especially with a PRE/POST out for the DI, the compressor, the mid-range frequency on the onboard EQ are amazing.

To make this thing safe as houses, my good old Dad got a custom cover made for me by these folk:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Padded-Cover-Fits-Ampeg-SVT15E-Cab-/330673378627?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4cfdab5543"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4cfdab5543[/url]

Throughly recommend them and were a pleasure to deal with.

If anyone has any questions about this please leave a comment, or if I have missed anything please ask!

I will try and get some short samples up if anyone is interested. :)

[size=4][sub][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Good Review, I have the same and had problems getting the sound i want, but found cranking the bass right up with some mids into 2 1x15's gives me almost the sound im after. Never having owned an ampeg before i was really surprised at how definative the "ampeg" sound is, but ive got used to it and rather like it! Dont rate the compressor much so i use a markbass compressore and one of Dave Halls valve pre amp pedals. I keep mine in a laptop bag which it fits perfectly.[/font][/sub][/size]

Edited by skidder652003

• 8 months later...

A venue I play in provides one of these for the band along with an Ampeg classic SVT 410. First time I used it I wasn't sure about the sound but the second time I played through it the EQ had been set perfectly ( by the previous bass player who used it) and it sounded great! A very nice little amp and ridiculously cheap as well.

Edit : Oh by the way I own the MiBAss and I have nothing but good things to say about that as well.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='BCB' timestamp='1361222216' post='1983160']
Thanks for the review, it was very helpful.

The PF500 and MiBass550 are definitely on my shortlist.

Has anyone tried the Ampeg with different speakers?

I could really do with lighter cabs!!
[/quote]

Yes, I used mine through an Eden Nemesis 410, and Barefaced Compact & Midget set-up. Sounded great with these. The only cab I didn`t think it worked well with was my Marshall VBC412.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1361232279' post='1983366']
Yes, I used mine through an Eden Nemesis 410, and Barefaced Compact & Midget set-up. Sounded great with these. The only cab I didn`t think it worked well with was my Marshall VBC412.
[/quote]

I use mine with the PF210 and PF115 Gigging, and with a Peavey 1x15 at rehersal. Wouldn't change it (unless i win that Purple PF-800!!). The Ampeg Cabs are light as anything - one handed lift.

Oh and i took your Advice on the Precision Lozz and bought that Wine Red FSR from here - It is gorgeous.

[quote name='pendingrequests' timestamp='1339856817' post='1695487']

The deciding factor? It may sound silly, but this is my test. Playing the bass line ([b]and a great one might I add[/b]) Gabriel's 'Out of Reach'. It sounded so smooth, I collapsed into my own world of bass heaven.

[/quote]

Nothing silly about that - great bass line!

[quote name='BCB' timestamp='1361222216' post='1983160']
Thanks for the review, it was very helpful.

The PF500 and MiBass550 are definitely on my shortlist.

Has anyone tried the Ampeg with different speakers?

I could really do with lighter cabs!!
[/quote]

I use mine with a markbass club 1x15 and its great. When I add the std 115 (MB again) it's awesome.
I originally tried it with a std 4x10 markbass cab and I thought it was perfect, but I bought my 2 MB cabs for 500 quid the pair, so I'll stick with them for now

• 3 years later...