Why become a member? ×

Finding people to jam with

SpaceChick

Just do it. If you're capable of playing along with your OH then you're good enough to play along with others - and if you're not, the adrenaline and determination to succeed will kick in and you will very quickly be good enough (then be looking around for your next challenge).

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1339664387' post='1692085']
Just do it. If you're capable of playing along with your OH then you're good enough to play along with others - and if you're not, the adrenaline and determination to succeed will kick in and you will very quickly be good enough (then be looking around for your next challenge).
[/quote]

maybe I should just take the plunge then :D

In fairness, with OH I tend to start with root notes, then build a few arpeggios, maybe with a few passing notes to take me from one chord to another, but I'm certainly not quick, although I am good at keeping time with the basslines I do create.

We had a fab playing session yesterday, where I did impress him with some of my bass embellishments.

I just don't want to make a tit of myself by playing with more experienced players who think "well I don't want to play with her, she's crap!" ;)

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1339668873' post='1692214']
maybe I should just take the plunge then :D

In fairness, with OH I tend to start with root notes, then build a few arpeggios, maybe with a few passing notes to take me from one chord to another, but I'm certainly not quick, although I am good at keeping time with the basslines I do create.

We had a fab playing session yesterday, where I did impress him with some of my bass embellishments.

I just don't want to make a tit of myself by playing with more experienced players who think "well I don't want to play with her, she's crap!" ;)
[/quote]

Sounds like you're keeping it simple, you'll probably get more gigs then those of us who like to show off :P

Matching abilities is one of the most difficult things when finding people to play with - temperament being the other!

I've always found it best to play with people better than me but not too good that I'm obviously holding them back. The urge to improve to match the other players is a great incentive to improve your own playing.

Generally, I've found other players pretty forgiving, even if things haven't worked out, because they might be miles better than you but they all realise they were at that stage once, so a parting of the ways is amicable - in my limited experience anyway.

Anyway, if others do get arsey about your playing then they're probably not the sort you'd want to play with anyway.

So, yes, go for it, but just be prepared to have to try a few different situations before finding something that really works.