Why become a member? ×

Bass player frontperson (first gig report post 65)

rOB

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1339939598' post='1696480']
Yes agreed - don;t know why JC didn;t come to mind?
Great sideburns too!!
[/quote]

Crackers aren't they - looks like he's on the phone. Another fine set would be yer man from Supergrass......

Perhaps that's an idea for a thread - 'Great sideburns in rock'.

A

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1340013634' post='1697475']
Don't want to go too much against the flow, but....... if your vox or front person skills aren't upto it then
you will only handicap the band.
I see way too many 3 piece bands handing out the vox as it maximises income, but it also kills the band if the guy can't carry it off..and since
lead vox are the single most important thing people can connect to, IMO, it isn't a job done lightly.[/quote]
[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1340017368' post='1697575']
Very true JT, it`s the singer that sells the band.[/quote]

You're both absolutely right, I understand that and if it comes down to it, I'll need to put the work into the front-person aspects of my performance.

Although its worth noting that this isn't about income (we're an originals band so little money involved to begin with), its more to do with getting gigging sooner rather than never as we simply can't seem to find anyone to be our front-person.

I love playing in a 3 piece and seem to have become the lead singer. Love that as well. So here's a few tips for you from my own experience.

Why be worried about standing at the front and being the focus of attention, the audience have come to see you. They could have gone anywhere but you are the main attraction. Get over that hurdle and it's easy.

Try a radio headset mic. Fantastic freedom and not tied to a mic stand. Pose galore and sing at the same time. Even go for a wander in the audience, they love it. Of course you'll need a radio guitar as well. I know that the mic stand is a wall between you and the adoring fans but you soon get over that.

Learn the bass parts so well that you never need to think about what you're playing then you can concentrate on the vocals.

If you can't do the radio mic thing then set your mic stand a little lower than you'd like then you have to pose a bit to sing into the mic.

Learn a few phrases for introducing the songs, the band, the start of the evening and the end. It helps. Even a few jokes.

Hope this helps a bit, It's helped me.

A lot of great thoughts here, especially of course from [b]bert[/b]bass, him being ... well ...
from Hasting 'n' all ...

Some are naturals and some will never learn it, but I think that most people can learn this role very well, and that the core is to force oneself to grow as a person, not take oneself too seriously and to go on stage with one thought only: addressing the audience and being there for them. The moment you're preoccupied with how you're doing or what you did wrong a few seconds ago, you're allowing yourself to prioritise yourself above the audience, and allowing yourself to get worse.

When I was younger, I was inhibited, self-conscious and the rest of the diagnostic list. Most people would probably say I didn't have it in me. Something had to be done, and it got done.

My technique was very simple though:
- very unofficial clothing,
- a loose walk up to the mike,
- one hand in trouser pocket,
- a few seconds of staring into the audience with a grin on my ugly mug,
- and a simple "Hi folks!", maybe followed by a "This is gonna be fun" or similar.

Worked wonders. I can now do any size of audience, including the very hard almost-no-audience. Most people can too, I'm convinced.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1340060253' post='1698656']
I love playing in a 3 piece and seem to have become the lead singer. Love that as well. So here's a few tips for you from my own experience.
Hope this helps a bit, It's helped me.[/quote]
[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1340062182' post='1698677']
Some are naturals and some will never learn it, but I think that most people can learn this role very well, and that the core is to force oneself to grow as a person, not take oneself too seriously and to go on stage with one thought only: addressing the audience and being there for them.
Worked wonders. I can now do any size of audience, including the very hard almost-no-audience. Most people can too, I'm convinced.
[/quote]

Good tips, thanks.

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1339662909' post='1692053']
to give an example that is fairly different from others that have been said, Tyson Ritter from The All-American Rejects does a very good job combining bassist and frontman. sure, his basslines aren't the most complex things, but they do have melodic variations and fills while he is singing, and he is good at engaging with an audience.
[/quote]
I have to whole-heartedly agree with this one. I saw The All American Rejects on Friday with Blink 182 (Mark Hoppus also does a damn good job) and Tyson is one hell of a frontman. He did only play bass for about half of the set though, the other half he was either throwing it very very sketchily to his tech (literally caught by fingertips) or there was someone else playing.

Another guy i would throw in is John Cooper of Skillet. He's playing some pretty tricky stuff at times, all whilst singing. That and i think his Traben Phoenix 5 Custom is lovely :P

Liam

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

After a couple more jam sessions where the potential singer didn't turn up I discussed it with the band. They were very keen and the drummer said that he'd been thinking of suggesting it himself.

Looks like I'm going to go for it.

[quote name='rOB' timestamp='1341742093' post='1723314']
Update.

After a couple more jam sessions where the potential singer didn't turn up I discussed it with the band. They were very keen and the drummer said that he'd been thinking of suggesting it himself.

Looks like I'm going to go for it.
[/quote]

Bigger balls than me. Good luck :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

K, first gig down, 2 more booked. Full gig review in [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/7919-how-was-your-gig-last-night/page__pid__1783882__st__3120#entry1783882"]"how was your gig last night"[/url].

Felt it went well, I made a few playing fluffs that our brilliant drummer covered by skipping a few beats to catch up. I actually really enjoyed it, wasn't as nervous as I thought I was going to be. Got a few nice comments about the singing and the stage presence but not taking them too seriously as we had a pretty biased audience in.

I'll continue to work on the singing and playing thing with as much emphasis on a good stage show as possible.

If you get the chance to give singing a go, I'd recommend you have a go. If nothing else it'll help you understand why singers often behave in a different way to other musicians.