Why become a member? ×

Strange band situation not sure how to react

Chrismanbass

Have to say that whilst the idea of absolute priority and first in the diary is a fine stance, it doesn't and will not stack up on a few fronts.
Best thing is not to pretend it will and have reliable and decent people to cover.
If you have guys that you pass work to and vice versa, it is in nobodies interest to rip of a gig but even that can be tested at times.

Do you want to stay with this band or not, if you do? fight.
If your thinking they are planning to stitch you up, why would you want to staying with them?

Try to get to the bottom of what they are trying to achieve with that emaIL?, like some have already said, they may be trying to find out what YOU are planning to do or they may well be planning to boot you out? Find out before you act.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1339443767' post='1688647']
What did the singer say when you rang her to clarify what she meant in the email?
[/quote]

Seriously.

You have called her haven't you? You've had over a week.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1340091738' post='1698825']
Seriously.

You have called her haven't you? You've had over a week.
[/quote]

yeh i thought it was sorted out on the day then i get to a rehearsal to run new songs (which the singer couldn't make due to having to go to hospital) to find out that the gig that they'd wanted to use a dep for had been cancelled anyway because a couple more of the band can't do it. also that one of the other gigs i'd been told was originally booked for the 22nd july is in fact the 22nd of june and so this friday and so therefore i'm already booked anyway (brought the same dep in again) the words piss up and brewery come to mind seriously considering my future in this band at the moment

Two biggest problem in bands. Big Egos and Bad Communication. I can live with the first.

Avoid emails and Texts unless it's for information - like "The gig is 22nd July" not like "We're using a dep, how do you feel?"

Face to face and phone is always better.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1340124952' post='1699539']
Two biggest problem in bands. Big Egos and Bad Communication. I can live with the first.

Avoid emails and Texts unless it's for information - like "The gig is 22nd July" not like "We're using a dep, how do you feel?"

Face to face and phone is always better.
[/quote]

Although emails and txts can be recalled later at will, while people often fail to make notes and "misremember"...
Online calendars are also a very very good thing.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1340127901' post='1699635']
Although emails and txts can be recalled later at will, while people often fail to make notes and "misremember"...
Online calendars are also a very very good thing.
[/quote]

i think the point is that emails are good for information i.e dates and times indeed its the email from the singer which means i can prove it was bad comunication that led to me not being able to do the gig and not my mistake

however i do agree that it is a lot easier to ascertain exactly what someone means when you are talking to them over the phone or face to face

but yeh maybe an online calender is a good solution to this situation would you care to suggest a free/relatively cheap one?

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1340130731' post='1699727']
i think the point is that emails are good for information i.e dates and times indeed its the email from the singer which means i can prove it was bad comunication that led to me not being able to do the gig and not my mistake

however i do agree that it is a lot easier to ascertain exactly what someone means when you are talking to them over the phone or face to face

but yeh maybe an online calender is a good solution to this situation would you care to suggest a free/relatively cheap one?
[/quote]

google calendars!

I've been using it for about 3 years now with several bands. It took a bit to get people to use it, but eventually they saw the advantages and it's working very well.
I still need to call people up if someone contacts me wanting us to do a particular gig, but at least i can now say immediately that a certain date is busy.
Seeing various people's calendars at a glance, with various colours... very helpful, for me.

However, it only works f people do really use it.

Being online, everybody can access it from their computers, phones...

The whole thing seems to be very confusing for everyone involved and lacks any leadership.
I personally think that every band needs someone who takes the reigns and runs with the major issues and concerns rather than "hope for the best" attitude.
That person whoever it is needs to make sure everyone else is informed and knows exactly what, where and when.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1340380240' post='1703810']
I personally think that every band needs someone who takes the reigns and runs with the major issues and concerns rather than "hope for the best" attitude.
[/quote]

IME this is what is needed. "Hope for the best" turns people who once seemed sensible and pleasant into manipulators and/or dissatisfied.