Why become a member? ×

Whats the best pickups for my CIJ J bass?

rogerstodge

Hi
Ive recently purchased a CIJ 60s RI jazz and its a wonderfully finished bass, i played it for about an hour then swapped over to my mim jazz,
The tone and volume on the mim knocks spots off the jap, what's the best replacement pick ups i could use?? .
Ive tried raising them but the sound booms and the tone doesn't improve..
Any help appreciated,
Thanks,

Is the CIJ jazz better? - ignore amplified tone for the moment.... better feel, respone, playability, weight, whatever, is it berrer?
If it is, swap all electrics (pickups, pots etc) over. If not, move on.

Beware the 'new bass' efffect. I have too many basses, currently on big hit with cheapy basses (Warwick, chinese, £130, shagged strings), they sound great. 3 months time, my G&L back to the fore.

It depends on what you want. Some people want that honky nasal Jaco tone from a Jazz and some people want a rounder sound like John Paul Jones. There's a lot of love for wizard pickups on basschat because he makes 3 types of Jazz pickups and he can tailor them to your preferences. Check out his website [url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?category=Bass"]http://www.wizardpic...p?category=Bass[/url]

I bought a set of DiMarzio 123 pickups because I heard them on someone else's bass and knew that was the sound I wanted.

Edited by gjones

Despite my earlier reticence, I really love the tone I get from my Geddy Lee Jap Jazz with EMG pickups. They appear fairly regularly in the for sale forums on here for around £60, making them a hell of a bargain. Wizards are great too and are reasonably priced. I like Hammers but if you want a more "vintage" tone then the 64s might suit better. Dark and crunchy? 84s are your man. Wizard will also wind to your own specs.... It's all good!

Before you buy anything - Have you played out all of your setting skills? I would start from that point first.
Would also go for the right set of strings which brings out the bass´ tone best. Strings and settings can change a lot!

Also "correct" wound up strings effect a lot!

All in all, a Jazz could have its very own personality. Most of my Jazz Basses have a bright and wirery tone. My ´69 Jazz not. He prefers a moderate higher neck tension were I can get its sweet spots now.

Good luck!

[quote name='mooz' timestamp='1339086077' post='1683454']
Before you buy anything - Have you played out all of your setting skills? I would start from that point first.
Would also go for the right set of strings which brings out the bass´ tone best. Strings andsettings can change a lot

Maybe i should have another "fiddle" first before splashing out, wouldnt wanna put new pickups in and still be dissapointed.. Thanks mate

Also "correct" wound up strings effect a lot!

All in all, a Jazz could have its very own personality. Most of my Jazz Basses have a bright and wirery tone. My ´69 Jazz not. He prefers a moderate higher neck tension were I can get its sweet spots now.

Good luck!
[/quote]

If you can´t resist and want to try out different Pickups I can highly recommend Fender CS60´s Pickups. I bit pricey, but worth every penny.

I built them in my Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass. The stock Duncan designed did a good job but the CS60 add definately more pixels to the sound. They transduce the sound quite "neutral" with a good deep-bottom-end and clear-pearly-crisp highs.

The only cons I could find are their sharp-edged pickup-covers.