Why become a member? ×

Juan Alderete's new site 'Pedals & Effects'

Sibob

Hi guys,

Don't know if this has already been posted, but I think it's going to end up being a really great resource from a really interesting player :)

[url="http://pedalsandeffects.com/"]http://pedalsandeffects.com/[/url]

Si

Nice site and lucky that he has so much support from manufacturers. There's a stark contrast between the US attitude to promotion and the UK here too. Clearly in the US, manufacturers identify someone who is an opinion leader and support them as best they can. Over in the UK I get the impression similar people aren't taken seriously...yet.

For example, Shep, one of our mods is probably an equivalent to Juan. I don't see effects pedal manufacturers this side of the pond flocking to him so he can review their products.

Another example - Tombowlus, manufacturers were throwing gear at him, at one point. Don't recall the same happening over here with some of our collectors.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1339278744' post='1686387']

For example, Shep, one of our mods is probably an equivalent to Juan. I don't see effects pedal manufacturers this side of the pond flocking to him so he can review their products.

[/quote]

Kiwi - Seriously dude... compliment of the year!! TC Electronic have been uber cool and supported/promoted my site (thanks Jes!) which has been amazing, other than that...

I agree though, The US seem to have the promotion/marketing/exposure thing nailed.

I think though, without taking anything away from Shep at all, that someone like Juan simply has a wider exposure due to his position in Mars Volta & Racer X. Those record sales are going to speak for themselves when a manufacturer is looking at artists to help their exposure. Having said that, Juan has a huge collection of pedals, I believe the point of the site is so he can slowly go through those, as opposed to having manufacturers send him free/new stuff.

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1339419439' post='1688109']
I think though, without taking anything away from Shep at all, that someone like Juan simply has a wider exposure due to his position in Mars Volta & Racer X. Those record sales are going to speak for themselves when a manufacturer is looking at artists to help their exposure. Having said that, Juan has a huge collection of pedals, I believe the point of the site is so he can slowly go through those, as opposed to having manufacturers send him free/new stuff.

Si
[/quote]

Absolutely!

Though I had never heard his name until you mentioned him a few weeks ago (I know Mars Volta well - just not his name). Different circles and all that.

Totally true though - He is (in the right circles) fairly famous and thats half the battle. His website looks smart too and he clearly knows a lot about what he's saying which separates him from most of the crowd.

I think the site is great.

But above all he is a solid bass player that recognizes the opportunity FX pedals give to enhance the sonic spectrum of the instrument and is able to utilize them to their potential. Too many players have pedal boards the size of the QE2 that make their sound even worse than it was to start with.

FX are great, I use them a lot, but in the right setting please.

Companies will throw stuff at anyone they feel can help them strengthen their market presence and identity, all about the money and nothing else.

If Shep was called Chris Wolstenholme I am sure he would get all his sh*t for free and more. Hey, if bloody Tommie Two Tits of the punk rock band "We cannot play to save our lives and only use one string between us "(no offence Shep) was selling enough records/shows I am sure Fender would bring out a 1 stringed Poo coloured signature P that would sit just right.

Am I ranting?

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1339688037' post='1692758']
If Shep was called Chris Wolstenholme I am sure he would get all his sh*t for free and more. Hey, if bloody Tommie Two Tits of the punk rock band "We cannot play to save our lives and only use one string between us "(no offence Shep) was selling enough records/shows I am sure Fender would bring out a 1 stringed Poo coloured signature P that would sit just right.

Am I ranting?
[/quote]

Ranting - a little. But it was funny so we don't mind.

And you've obviously seen me play!! (Though I haw recently progressed to using 2 strings!)

• 1 month later...

I dunno if anyone else has noticed this but Juan has been doing an "Ask me anything" on reddit. Loads of interesting questions and interesting answers from the man himself. Check it out here: [url="http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/xijzu/bassist_for_the_mars_volta_juan_alderete/"]http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/xijzu/bassist_for_the_mars_volta_juan_alderete/[/url]

• 2 weeks later...