Why become a member? ×

GK stack advice.

jaydentaku

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][color="#000000"][size=4]Sorry about the formatting, I cut and pasted from a website. [/size][/color][/font]

Not being at all knowledgable in the subject of amplification, I was wondering what people though of the following equipment and its appropriateness for use.

I am in a metal band, we play in drop C CGCF. We are rather like Sabbath, crossed with Slayer and fairly Doomy. We play pubs and clubs. Two guitars, and a heavy handed drummer.

Is the following going to be suitably loud/capable/appropriate. I tried this setup and I liked the sound in the shop. I am happy with it, in that setting. Its small/ light enough for my needs.

Obviously I need to try it with the band and crank it up. But I don't want to go buy it if its not going to be anywhere near suitable or loud enough.

I understand these are the cheaper line of GK? Your thoughts are always gladly received.

[b] [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#000000]Gallien Krueger BL600 [/color][/size][/font][/b]

[b] [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#000000]210MBX [/color][/size][/font][/b]

[b] [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#000000]115 MBX[/color][/size][/font][/b]

In the for sale section there's a GK 700RB II 1x15 combo for £390 (you could add another 15" cab if you find you need more at a later date, a Hartke HA3500 amp & VX 4x10 cab for £300 & if you can stretch your funds, there's a Markbass 2x10 combo like mine for £600 (probably one of the loudest 2x10 combos on the market) & there's a GK MB 2x10 combo with a 1x15 cab for £580.

You have a couple of nice basses there & it would be a sin to put them through something that isn't gonna make them sound any better than a budget bass (it's a bit like sticking budget tyres on a decent car).

The Promethean will be loud - for its size. In a metal band, with a hard-hitting drummer, and two guitarists, I would want a 410 cab, or 210 & 115 and at least 300 watts.

For the deal quoted, unless your band is incredibly loud, you should be ok. Plus, if you order on-line, distant selling rules apply, so if you`re not satisfied (as in, it`s not loud enough) you can return it - probably at your own cost though.

Plus, that is a fair amount of gear for the price. Yes, on here you can mix-match and get higher end gear, but possibly not the same amount of gear, for that cost. And, as currently using GK amps, I can certainly state they are loud, and very suited for rock.

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1338852220' post='1680169']
Well, the price is 360, which is a hefty discount and I don't want to pay any more than that really.

I am finding the for sale section a little daunting. Too much go
[/quote]

£360..?? that is an outrageous price for the entire rig.. is that correct..??
I am no fan of GK myself but if you like the sound, then that is a done deal, as far as I am concerned.

Sound apart.. whatever reservations I would have would be serverely tested at that price...

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1338895305' post='1680635']
Yeah. It truly is 360 for all that. I was rather astounded.

I do like the promethean, I am sure it's gonna get drowned out, the guitarist are damn loud and both have 4x10's
[/quote]

Go for the rig that can handle the full power of the amp...and the more air you can move the better...which basically means more speaker chassis'

If you have an unsubtle gtr using a fender twin, a lot of bass rigs will struggle...
You like the price and sound of your choice so far... if you get get to use it is anger just to dispell any doubts then you have your winner.

You need the equiv of 4x10's... and nothing less, IMO.

If you sound preference is for 15's..you'll need 2...etc etc

I am basically saying I can't see the promethean making it in a zillion years in your context.. and they are well regarded, but this is not their domain, IMO.

Yeah, in your situation mate I'd be looking for as much speaker area as you can afford and carry. Honestly, you'll thank me.

I see 8x10s (particularly Marshall and Ashdown) going on ebay all the time for £100-200. That might be a place to start if you can handle the weight.

Disclaimer: I'm a small-rig, neo, micro-head kinda guy. But I don't play in a detuned metal band. Anymore.

That rig's ok, I'm not a big fan of the BL stuff personally though, it just doesn't really have that GK sound that I love. They're capable amps though and if you like them, they'll do the trick fine.

I'd personally be looking for a 700RB combo though, the 115 previously mentioned will be fine, GKs are notoriously loud and even just a 115 on it's own will be fine.

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1338926897' post='1681307']
See, I want to get away from massive. I have a 4x12 which is huge and a total tonnage.

There is so much to consider and so much advice, but I still don't feel informed enough to make the right decision.
[/quote]

I've just noticed you're in Newcastle, if you wanna grab a beer some time, hit a music shop or two?

They don't quote the figure for the 400w one but the figures most companies quote are meaningless anyway. I'm going from experience of running this set up and being told to turn down cos I was drowing out the music from the club downstairs at the last gig I did with it. :D

It would've went a lot louder too

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1338848649' post='1680118']
....Is that bad?....
[/quote]

No, it's not bad.

For loud metal (if your definition of loud is as loud as mine is) and with tuning down I'd suggest a big cab with lots of speakers. There are 610 and 810 cabs for sale here at the moment. You just need mates to help you carry it.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1339062627' post='1682981']
No, it's not bad.

For loud metal (if your definition of loud is as loud as mine is) and with tuning down I'd suggest a big cab with lots of speakers. There are 610 and 810 cabs for sale here at the moment. You just need mates to help you carry it.
[/quote]Totally agree. Down-tuned metal needs lots of power and lots of speakers.

Edited by steve-soar

Lots of speakers can make more noise but most decent cabs these days will cope with more than you'd expect.

I wouldn't have trouble with one of my 212s in a metal band. One of my 410s is more than loud enough for pretty much anything apart from the biggest venues even without PA support.

I wouldn't bother with huge cabs personally, a 210 and 115 should be enough for most situations where you won't get PA support. :)

It could have something to do with the OP asking for advice and opinions about amps and cabs for a Metal band.

I've taken him at his word (asking for opinions) and about being loud, but if the band is not as loud as he thinks then smaller cabs could work.

That's what we do here isn't it. Ask for and give opinions and experiences.