Why become a member? ×

Searching for my perfect multi f/x

MacDaddy

The Boss ME-50B would have been perfect; simple to use; no amp modelling; all the effects I want (compression, delay, chorus); the octave above with independent overdrive; the double octave above thing; tuner; and all in one box.
But after trying Bassblokes at the Bash, I was let down by the distortions. I'm need an overdriven sound for screaming harmonics and shredding, which it doesn't do.

So basically what I'm after is a ME-50B with decent distortion/overdrive.

Any help and opinions appreciated.
cheers :)

the B2 is limited in that it only has 2 footswitches. I don't think it's difficult to program, but if you use a lot of different sounds you could find it takes a while, and you have to work out where your patches are going in relation to song changes and stuff.

• 1 month later...

I found the hi-band distortion on my ME-50B great. All the dirt I could want but still beefy clean bottom end.

I sold mine (buyer collects tomorrow) because I came to realise I don't actually use the "effects".

And I needed the cash to fund my fretless purchase.

Not to imply or suggest you haven't already, but have you really played with the ME-50B's distortions?

Mark

iv gotta say, much as i love my b2.u1, the distortions i dont use as i dont like them. The boss gt6b distortions are brilliant, certainly better than the zoom's IMO, but i cant comment on the me50b's

no distortion sound you liked? There must be 100s!!! I'll have a play sometime and recommend you some. Basically, I remember that the TS-9 model was sh*t. Can't remember much else. There's a blend and EQ on every distortion model though!

I am pretty convinced that the mixture of the XT pro and the Roland V-bass is an unbeatable combo in my book. The problem with effects is that everyone likes something different. I can see how it would be REALLY annoying to get the perfect multi effect pedal apart from one small detail. So close but so far!

Welcome to come and try the Vbass any time Macdaddio

Cheers
ped

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='220726' date='Jun 17 2008, 04:35 PM']i can get get a good fuzz out of my XT Pod Live - both subtle boost and full on punch in the face stylie. With multi fx pedals i think it's just about perseverance[/quote]

I thought the same until I bought a proper distortion box, I found PodXT to be by far better for recording than playing live in sound and usability.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='220652' date='Jun 17 2008, 03:21 PM']no distortion sound you liked? There must be 100s!!! I'll have a play sometime and recommend you some. Basically, I remember that the TS-9 model was sh*t. Can't remember much else. There's a blend and EQ on every distortion model though![/quote]
maybe its just in comparison to what iv got a seperate units, if anyone has any zoom recomendations let me know!!

[quote name='Oscar South' post='220902' date='Jun 17 2008, 08:09 PM']I thought the same until I bought a proper distortion box, I found PodXT to be by far better for recording than playing live in sound and usability.[/quote]

Ive got a few (about 8) separate fuzz pedals and the Pod XT is definitely on the level, and dare I say it but it's even better than a few that I personally rate. I use my separate pedals with the Pod and find that they're a great addition to the Pod effects, but the Pod fuzz is great. I'm not saying it's the best fuzz you're ever going to hear but it's a lot better than some bass specific pedals that I've used (and owned in some cases) that are retailing for well over the £100 mark. It's all about spending the time to get the best out of it though - RTFM!!!
I've had some issues recording with the Pod though (noise from the jack DI) so i find it more useful for live work, and very useful at that. In an ideal world I'd have £2k to spend on building a pedalboard that will do what the Pod does (and no doubt better), but at the moment I'm happy to settle for the Pod XT Live (+ a select few separate pedals) that does and awful lot in a convenient package.

I think what I really didn't like about the PodXT (live anyway, which is what I had) were the foot controls, too easy to hit the wrong button and you could only use one button at a time, with stomp boxes you can just stomp anywhere in the general location of the switch and hit it, with the PodXT you've got to be really precise, and screwing up hitting the wrong button can have dire consequences (especially with the iffy volume levels on the PodXT series).

[quote name='Oscar South' post='221010' date='Jun 17 2008, 11:13 PM']I think what I really didn't like about the PodXT (live anyway, which is what I had) were the foot controls, too easy to hit the wrong button and you could only use one button at a time, with stomp boxes you can just stomp anywhere in the general location of the switch and hit it, with the PodXT you've got to be really precise, and screwing up hitting the wrong button can have dire consequences (especially with the iffy volume levels on the PodXT series).[/quote]

it's probably just about getting used to it, if it wasnt about the sound then a little perseverance may have been quite rewarding. It's been the basis of my setup for almost 3 years now and I've not has any issues with the foot controls.

The volume levels can be balanced easily and saved so there is no difference. I agree that the single push button pedals are a bit small to hit and difficult without shoes on! I never use effects live though so not a problem for me, and in the studio there is less pressure to step on the right bit.

Definitely echo Ben's statement about needing to spend time with the pod to get the best from it. I have had mine over two years I think and still find new things now. It has some excellent features not found on similar rack/stomp pedals which make the effects uniquely flexible. Same goes for the Vbass but probably more complex! Add the two together and you could probably drive yourself mental.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='Oscar South' post='221010' date='Jun 17 2008, 11:13 PM']I think what I really didn't like about the PodXT (live anyway, which is what I had) were the foot controls, too easy to hit the wrong button and you could only use one button at a time, with stomp boxes you can just stomp anywhere in the general location of the switch and hit it, with the PodXT you've got to be really precise, and screwing up hitting the wrong button can have dire consequences (especially with the iffy volume levels on the PodXT series).[/quote]

The XTL is about building a patch, saving it and then calling it when you need it, not so much the 'Think I fancy a bit of Chorus now...' approach - but if you want the fx in there and available but not present to start with save the patch with them off and call them when you need them. It is a bit limited in what you can have in the chain though. Starting to GAS about other fx that I don't have - slow attack and pitch shifter in particular.

The thing that I find hard about the xtl is when I build what I think is a great patch in my study - which is about 14' square, take it to the hall on Sunday and it sounds completely different! So I have to spend a bit of time playing with it there.

Must admit I don't have a problem hitting the wrong footswitch. And personally I quite like the preset 'String Theory' patch (1.D I believe). I think ithe distortion sounds ok with my amp/bass but haven't tweaked it yet. But agree about the fuzz - haven't found one I really like yet. Haven't found a synth setting I even vaguely like on it either. (back in the 80's I built a fuzz circuit from a mag and then installed it into my bass under the scratchplate. Well [i]I[/i] thought it sounded cool... at the time!)

[quote name='dood' post='220961' date='Jun 17 2008, 09:49 PM']- How much do you wanna spend MacD?[/quote]

As little as possible LOL. I'm gonna stick with the Korg for the forseeable and see how I get on.

BTW the distortions I'm on after are for solo-ing, the ME did great rhythm dist sounds.

[quote name='ped' post='220732' date='Jun 17 2008, 04:40 PM']Welcome to come and try the Vbass any time Macdaddio

Cheers
ped[/quote]

Have a friend who has just moved back to Witney, so may take you up on that when I arrange a visit :)

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='221560' date='Jun 18 2008, 05:21 PM']As little as possible LOL. I'm gonna stick with the Korg for the forseeable and see how I get on.

BTW the distortions I'm on after are for solo-ing, the ME did great rhythm dist sounds.[/quote]
It works fine for me. I really think it's a matter of spending time (usually several days!) twiddling until you get it right. Before I sold my ODB3, I used that as the same time as the ME-50B for a deliciously heavy distorted sound, but I'm not sure that was particularly suited to soloing!

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='221560' date='Jun 18 2008, 05:21 PM']As little as possible LOL. I'm gonna stick with the Korg for the forseeable and see how I get on.[/quote]

that would rule out [s]any[/s] all of the suggestions I would have made then lol!

[quote name='dood' post='221620' date='Jun 18 2008, 06:40 PM']that would rule out [s]any[/s] all of the suggestions I would have made then lol![/quote]

Doh! I'll get back to you once I've decided the Korg has too many buttons, or the colour clashes with my bass - or some such nonsense :)