Why become a member? ×

Bass 'lurve' - do you have it?

silverfoxnik

Hi Folks,

We did a gig tonight which went really well at a club we've played at a couple of times before. And, because we go down well there and I was feeling relaxed ahead of the gig, I thought I'd use my back up bass as it's not had a proper outing since I got it in January when I part-ex'd it with WishICouldWalk for my Lakland DJ5.

It's a 1997 USA Fender Jazz 5 Deluxe fitted with an EBS pre-amp and it plays really nicely and sounds pretty good (to my ears anyway) and it's really loud in terms of output too. So, we did the first set and it was sounding good and I felt quite comfortable. But having said that, it was 'good' but not 'great'! Can't put my finger on exactly why, but something was not quite right tonally....

So, I switched back to my Roscoe Beck 5 for the 2nd set and it was amazing; just as if all the lights had come on at the same time in Times Square or something similarly amazing and exciting! It just felt perfect in my hands and sounded so deep and resonant, it was a joy to play! As it happens, I think the reason I much prefer it is because it's a passive bass, and I'm convinced the natural tone of the instrument comes to the fore because it's not active (if that makes any sense?).

Anyway back on topic, I was thinking to myself as I was playing: "I love this bass and nothing else comes close" :) and at the same time I was thinking, "it's only a bass - stop being such a sad muso loser" :huh:

So, is it just me, or does anyone else feel the same about their bass or basses?

Nik

Oh yes definitely.

They may only be bits of wood & wire, but I love both my basses, and to quote the late Chuck Heston, the Wal will only go "from my cold dead hands". We've been through some times, and she is semi retired since the L2500, but even so still a great sounding bass. I have been listening back to her in original passive state with remixing some recently found 8 tracks and even then had a great sound. The actives are just the icing & make available a greater range of tones.

And then there's to L2500. May be the cause of my current shoulder ache (which is a tad worrying), but just sounds so good in the context of the rock set we do. The old SUB5 (my first foray into 5's) was good, but the G&L (the Stingray on steroids as they say) is so much better. Not as clanky, but with a nice bit of top end bite over a nice solid bottom end.

Damn it Nik I totally forgot to come and have a look at the Roscoe Beck at the bash. There was just so much to look at!! I played one some time ago and remembered at the time it was my 'ultimate' bass. I saw a picture of Mr. Beck with a red one with a maple neck and transparent scratchplate that looked amazing on a Fender advert somewhere, maybe it was a hint at the 'new' Beck basses which I heard are coming out soon?

You know what I am going to say RE bass love but glad to hear your 'success story'. Nothing quite like finding the 'one' is there? You think FINALLY and just fall in love with it and all of a sudden your playing becomes the focus, not GAS for another instrument!

I was very impressed with that G&L, nearly bought the Lynx bass as a result (an early SB-2?)

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' post='180937' date='Apr 20 2008, 11:32 AM']Damn it Nik I totally forgot to come and have a look at the Roscoe Beck at the bash. There was just so much to look at!! I played one some time ago and remembered at the time it was my 'ultimate' bass. I saw a picture of Mr. Beck with a red one with a maple neck and transparent scratchplate that looked amazing on a Fender advert somewhere, maybe it was a hint at the 'new' Beck basses which I heard are coming out soon?

You know what I am going to say RE bass love but glad to hear your 'success story'. Nothing quite like finding the 'one' is there? You think FINALLY and just fall in love with it and all of a sudden your playing becomes the focus, not GAS for another instrument!

I was very impressed with that G&L, nearly bought the Lynx bass as a result (an early SB-2?)

Cheers
ped[/quote]
Never mind Ped - next time! You and your Vigier are pretty much inseperable I would have thought?

You're spot on when you say [i]"You think FINALLY and just fall in love with it and all of a sudden your playing becomes the focus, not GAS for another instrument!"[/i]

That's exactly how it is at the moment for me.. The RBV, my BC Rich Eagle and the Wal just about do everything I need which is great.. A bit like Al's G&L and his Wal..

I just keep my GAS for my rig now.. :)

Oh no, never stops does it? A rig now! Next you will want a couple of different rigs for different situations....

I haven't GASsed for anything for a while actually. Well, I have a bit, but so many times now I have got another bass or some toy and I like it for a while, go back to my usual basses after having 'tuned out' of their sound for a few weeks - and bang, there it is, my perfect sound. So you might say I have given up GAS because though I love the thrill of the chase, ultimately I end up with something I have to sell.

I have never had so much money in my whole life as I do currently. I actually enjoy that feeling more than having another bass which I know will not be 'the one' because I already have them!

Why do I have the feeling this post will come back to bite me in the arse at some point?

*ears perk up*

Anywhere I can hear one of these Roscoe Becks?

nie mind:
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Roscoe_Beck_Bass"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Roscoe_Beck_Bass[/url]
[url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=zJrJu1Frh6Y&feature=related"]http://youtube.com/watch?v=zJrJu1Frh6Y&feature=related[/url]
:)

Using your definition, then yes I do with this one....

My frist 'proper' bass and the one by whhich all else is judged. So far nothing has come near it. Whatever I try 'new' I coming back to this one is like going back to the house that you grew up in....

Just makes you feel relaxed and like you were 'meant to be'.!

[quote name='The Burpster' post='181144' date='Apr 20 2008, 05:08 PM']Using your definition, then yes I do with this one....

My frist 'proper' bass and the one by whhich all else is judged. So far nothing has come near it. Whatever I try 'new' I coming back to this one is like going back to the house that you grew up in....

Just makes you feel relaxed and like you were 'meant to be'.![/quote]
Great looking bass.. What are the pick ups on it, only they look like a Bill Lawrence design?

[quote name='clauster' post='181128' date='Apr 20 2008, 04:50 PM']Nik's RBV does sound fantastic - it's Guiness in bass tone form - rich, smooth and creamy.[/quote]

Cheers clauster.. That's a good description and obviously, I'm pretty drunk on it as stingrayfan noticed earlier! :)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='181162' date='Apr 20 2008, 05:32 PM']Great looking bass.. What are the pick ups on it, only they look like a Bill Lawrence design?[/quote]

I'm pretty sure Mr Smith will be well miffed by that..... :)

To quote PRS history....

[i]"2 PRS high inductance passive pickups (v/v/t with high end switchable audio pre-amp)"[/i]

There was a lot (apparently) of development went into those pups... and a F***ing good job they did to! (although that development may have been done by BL I somehow doubt it!)

In fact the whole electrics are very yummy! :wub:

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='181173' date='Apr 20 2008, 05:39 PM']Not me... I'm a nitpicky git. Every bass I own, I really really like. However I can point out flaws in each one. But I guess nothing's perfect. :)[/quote]

I don't think I could really love a bass if it didn't have "character".

I'm hoping to get a Stagg upright; I'm already scheming ways to make it more my own.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='181197' date='Apr 20 2008, 06:18 PM']I'm pretty sure Mr Smith will be well miffed by that..... :)

To quote PRS history....

[i]"2 PRS high inductance passive pickups (v/v/t with high end switchable audio pre-amp)"[/i]

There was a lot (apparently) of development went into those pups... and a F***ing good job they did to! (although that development may have been done by BL I somehow doubt it!)

In fact the whole electrics are very yummy! :wub:[/quote]
As part of the job for Fender, Bill Lawrence worked closely with Roscoe Beck on the p/ups in the RBV to get them just so RB imagined them (so the story goes..) So BL does a lot of work with other people and other companies so maybe he did some work for PRS?

But then, I wouldn't want to take anything away from Mr Smith...

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='181512' date='Apr 21 2008, 07:52 AM']But then, I wouldn't want to take anything away from Mr Smith...[/quote]

Nik,

I shouldnt think for one min that Paul does all his own research, but he does have a pretty good team around him... My guess would be that as PRS is (in the scheme of things) a fairly young company that any collusion with another "outside" patentable name would have to be mentioned......

i.e. "[i]developed in conjunction with BL etc......"[/i] ?????

In other parts of PRS history where someone outside the company has helped with development of a product credit is given.....

It would be interesting to know if anyone else that 'did' work for the Co. when they made the basses is no longer there..... ;)

Another interesting point for me is ...... When are they going to make more basses? :huh:

I feel an SE bass is looming somewhere but they never confirm or deny anything...... :)

My 2000 Warwick Streamer StdII (German built).

The neck and big pickups are so comfortable for me to play on it feels like it was made for me which is why I got it. I'd never sell it as it was my main bass when I gigged with my old band.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='181520' date='Apr 21 2008, 08:21 AM']Nik,

I shouldnt think for one min that Paul does all his own research, but he does have a pretty good team around him... My guess would be that as PRS is (in the scheme of things) a fairly young company that any collusion with another "outside" patentable name would have to be mentioned......

i.e. "[i]developed in conjunction with BL etc......"[/i] ?????

In other parts of PRS history where someone outside the company has helped with development of a product credit is given.....

It would be interesting to know if anyone else that 'did' work for the Co. when they made the basses is no longer there..... ;)

Another interesting point for me is ...... When are they going to make more basses? :huh:

I feel an SE bass is looming somewhere but they never confirm or deny anything...... :)[/quote]
I suspect you're right Bob.. Someone like BL would be a PR boost, so if he had been involved then I'm sure he would have been cited as a contributor.

Didn't realise that PRS don't make any basses now.. That's a real oversight on their part!! Do you mean Special Edition by the initials SE? If so, how about 'The Burpster Bass' by PRS.. It's got a ring to it! ;)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='182310' date='Apr 21 2008, 10:01 PM']Didn't realise that PRS don't make any basses now.. That's a real oversight on their part!! Do you mean Special Edition by the initials SE? If so, how about 'The Burpster Bass' by PRS.. It's got a ring to it! :huh:[/quote]

Nik..... ooooh I wish...

Last run of basses made by Mr Smith was 2001-2004 (the PRS IV) of which I have 2 (nearly had 3 but got ripped off to the tune of £850 :) ) of 495.... Thats equal to a fender limited run... ;)

SE (Student Edition) is the made in Korea series, which have US QC but made in PRoK not in Stevensville.

The custom shop (PRS call it Private Stock) options of buying a new IV are available but at $6k to place an order, is way beyond me for a playing instrument.

I just feel lucky to have 2. They really are exceptional.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='182326' date='Apr 21 2008, 10:25 PM']Nik..... ooooh I wish...

Last run of basses made by Mr Smith was 2001-2004 (the PRS IV) of which I have 2 (nearly had 3 but got ripped off to the tune of £850 :huh: ) of 495.... Thats equal to a fender limited run... ;)

SE (Student Edition) is the made in Korea series, which have US QC but made in PRoK not in Stevensville.

The custom shop (PRS call it Private Stock) options of buying a new IV are available but at $6k to place an order, is way beyond me for a playing instrument.

I just feel lucky to have 2. They really are exceptional.[/quote]
Bloody hell! $6k to [i]place an order[/i].. Scary.. :) Hope you've got yours insured?