Why become a member? ×

Jah Wobble Comp Post Gig Chat

Billy Apple

That's the gig over, and I had a great time. Thanks very much to Ped and Basschat for putting up such a cool prize. If there is a signature sound to a hot summer evening in old London town, it was this.

Deep dub, cool bass, acid guitar, flowing brass. Great crowd all swaying together

Edited by billyapple

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1337899542' post='1667337']
Hi,

I've been lucky enough to win 2 tickets for the Wobble/Levene Metal Box gig in Shoreditch, London, tomorrow night, or tonight if you are reading this tomorrow!. If you'd like the other half of the prize, please PM me. I'll put the names in a hat and let you know ASAP. We'll meet by Old St tube around 9pm

[u]Rules[/u]

1. You [b]MUST[/b] be able to come, if you don't show you will be named and shamed. There are plenty of folk who want to go, but due to short notice and prior commitment have had to turn this down. Only PM me if you can make it.

2. Erm, that's it

Cheers!
[/quote]I hope any Basschatter who accepts this very generous offer has a great time.

Sean offered it to me first as I love PIL, but I can't make it.

Metal Box is a incredible album and to see the "other two" perform it, will be totally amazing.

Go, and soak up those Poptones.

They just played Poptones and it was brill. They have a very Lydon-esqe singer. Think he might be Johnny Rotter from a pistols tribute act. I've just been down the front to check Wobbles bass, and i'm sure it's an Ovation. Didnt even know they made them. Now i'm back at the back having a beer with Marco Pirroni. Sorry, no pics, but the cam phone is bust.

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1338021427' post='1668650']
Oh, no! Have I made myself look uncool on the internet!? :o

Well, It's about time he got a new one!
[/quote]

Lol, your forgiven billyapple, at least you made it to the gig. I'd of been there as well if I lived a bit closer.
I have been checking out some vids of them live on youtube and they both seem to still gel together pretty well.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1338022119' post='1668664']
Anyone know what become of the Ampeg bass Wobble used when PiL played on the OGWT?
[/quote]

I heard it was nicked out of a taxi and then rumored to be the bass that the guy out of Aswad used for a while. Not sure how true that really is!

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1338021609' post='1668655']
Lol, your forgiven billyapple, at least you made it to the gig. I'd of been there as well if I lived a bit closer.
I have been checking out some vids of them live on youtube and they both seem to still gel together pretty well.
[/quote]

Most of my memories of him were playing a hollow-body (Epiphone?) around the 'Invaders of the Heart' time

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1338024181' post='1668713']
Most of my memories of him were playing a hollow-body (Epiphone?) around the 'Invaders of the Heart' time
[/quote]

Going back to the Human Condition and the earlier Invaders, every time I saw him live it was a Pbass. I think that Ovation started seeing the light of day around 1992,

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1338024429' post='1668718']
Would have LOVED to have been there but the Missus wasn't keen :( When I saw Wobble play 'Visions of you' on TV with Sinead O'C ten or more years ago he was playing an Ovation Magnum
[/quote]

TBH, I was a little reticent about going on my own, but I'm pleased I plucked up the courage and got out the house. I've often gone past the venue and seen the tube carriages on the top, but never been in before. It's a nice space, and they had a very good sound. I'm sure the sound engineer was a 'name', a very distinguished looking chap with long white hair. It looked sold out to me, and I couldn't give away my free +1, as everyone in the line had bought tickets. I walked down the queue asking who would like a pass, to the sound of much grumbling and groaning!

Wobble and the drummer were rock-solid. Don't know who he is, but top-notch

This Ovation Magnum just went for £750 on Ebay....

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120918273471?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_949"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120918273471?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_949[/url]