Why become a member? ×

Strings for Fender

bassickman

Well this may be a bit controversial but I put a set of Rotosound swing bass strings on my Jazz and they sound really nice and fat and old school. They're low tension too which makes them easy to play. I've tried DR HI Beams and ernie ball slinkys over the last few years but not used rotos for a while. You do usually need to break them in over a couple of gigs first but try them .......you may like them.

[indent=1]Getting a big tone is as much the player as the equipment. I played in a blues band a little over ten years ago, and at a blues festival another player came up to me to ask what kind of flats or nylons I had on my bass. I had Roto Swingbass 45-60-80-105. Conversely, at a gig last weekend playing mostly '70's horn band pop, I had to have enough presence to cut the mix that everyone thought my Fender 9050CL flats were rounds.[/indent]

On my precision I use the Fender 8250's . Thats what Fender factory fit to all US and Mex basses, [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Fender-Super-8250M-Bass-Nickel-Plated-Steel-Bass-Strings-45-110/CPU"]http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Fender-Super-8250M-Bass-Nickel-Plated-Steel-Bass-Strings-45-110/CPU[/url] I Love em, Reasonably priced but they lose their Zingyness quite quickly, but i like that! B)

And with me being me I had to try other strings out even though i liked the sound of the fenders, and yes you guessed it I went back to the Fenders!!

[quote name='bassickman' timestamp='1338065521' post='1669290']
How often would you change them?
[/quote]

depends on the gig schedule I suppose ,, i like a warm tone and find that when the initial zingyness (is that a word ? it is now !) wears off the fenders are great , I seem to buy 3 sets a year so every 4 months . you can pick a set up for about £14 , worth a try for that price.
I use Elixir's on my arias but didnt like them on the Fender, I change them once a year!

• 3 months later...

[quote name='alstocko' timestamp='1347840327' post='1805743']
What should I put on my new PJ project then? :/

:D
[/quote][quote name='alstocko' timestamp='1347840327' post='1805743']
What should I put on my new PJ project then? :/

:D
[/quote]
GHS Black Nylons of course :)