Why become a member? ×

Using Drum Machines Live/Jamming

basskit_case

Hello,

I have looked through the thread archive here and on the internet in general, but I have not been able to find an answer to this question

I want to be able to use a drum machine live but maintain control over when patterns and fills are triggered, probably by a foot pedal.

The quote below, borrowed from elsewhere online sums up my requirements.

[quote][color=#000000][font=Verdana][size=3]WHAT I WANT: [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Verdana][size=3]I'd like SIMPLE PC based software where I can select a style, tempo, etc and have the song progress as programmed. BUT... I want to use the keyboard/pedal/whatever to select/switch the various loops or fills in performance (keeping in time though). Imagine a LONG solo in the Doors' "Light My Fire" where the rest of the band is wondering and waiting for the famous one-snare-beat drum fill that kicks off the intro again - I want to trigger that kick. Midi is even fine since I have a great sound module. I've briefly looked at a bunch of apps, but they seem either too big (create a multimedia presentation) or too small (just play the same loop over and over). [/size][/font][/color][/quote]

Getting a real live drummer in is not possible at the moment, that may come later, but at the moment really looking to implement something close to what is mentioned above, hardware or software, all considered.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1337763575' post='1664950']
Checkout 'bob log III' mate. That should open your eyes to what can be done in a very interesting and super cool manner. Met the guy at the charlotte once. Absolute legend!
[/quote]

Bob Log III, I'd forgotten about him. Seen him a few times live. Brilliant!
Also Le Petite Vodo does the same sort of thing.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1337763714' post='1664954']
Why not? It worked for Sisters of Mercy and Carter USM. Better than a drummer too, in that you only need to punch the information into the drum machine once :D
[/quote]

He's not talking about only using a drum machine in the normal sense. He wants to trigger stuff live.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1337763944' post='1664959']
Bob Log III, I'd forgotten about him. Seen him a few times live. Brilliant!
Also Le Petite Vodo does the same sort of thing.

He's not talking about only using a drum machine in the normal sense. He wants to trigger stuff live.
[/quote] Saw him at the rosemount in perth WA on my 30th birthday. What a gig. BOOOOOB SCOTCH!

I'd recommend Ableton. I'm doing something similar live and it works perfectly, albeit with a bass synth and more to be the 'electronic half of the band'. If you buy the Novation Launchpad it comes with a budget version of Ableton that would allow you to make all sorts of drum loops, fills, pads, etc. That would require a free finger from time to time to trigger stuff, but to reduce the need for this you can also create arrangements of the loops in the 'arrangement' view, not entirely dissimilar to the layout in garageband or other recording programs. The arrangement view can play like a normal backing track, but it can also be like an interactive backing track (i.e. you could deviate from it, change it on the fly, etc, etc). You can also connect a midi foot controller if you don't want to have to use your fingers to trigger.

The learning curve can seem a bit steep if you're not computer savvy, but the triggering options are very flexible.

I've got an Alesis SR-16 and fills can be triggered from a foot pedal, as well as changing between two patterns.

I've never used it live but have used it for jams with pretty good results.

There was one being offered for sale on here somewhere for £50.

I've got an SR-16. It's great operationally, but the presets are a not all that great and programming it is a bitch. Interfacing to PC with it is impossible, usually requiring a manual reset to recover it.

To further the OP's question, is there a software version of what the SR16 does?
ie. a few basic patterns that can be switched between via foot pedal, utilising some fills.

I've heard that Ez Drummer solo might do this, does anyone have experience of that?

Ableton Live was my first thought on reading the OP - if you're happy to go for a computer-based setup and don't mind a little bit of learning to get it up and running, it'd be the most flexible solution for you. I know guys who are into electronic music who do full live performances with Live, trigger pads and a keyboard or two so should certainly be able to concoct a setup that suits your needs.

Any MIDI foot controller should be able to send the necessary messages - even something cheap and cheerful like the Behringer FCB1010 - can have a bunch of switchable scenes with note on/off and controller messages assignable to each footswitch. Would take a bit of time to set everything up but would think it'd result in a really flexible system.

I can't get rid of my sr16 as it was a present from My better half. IfI could do I would as it's a complete twat to program. You can't even associate a particular drum kit with a given song - you have to remember and switch it over manually

Edited by Geek99

We use programmed drums on all our tracks (there's three on the link in my sig), live triggering is possible but just adds yet another thing to go wrong. I would recommend Ableton as well as you can set up your patterns and it will loop it until you trigger another pattern (I have that Behrigner FCB floorboard and it is excellent). Advantages - they never go out of time, always show up on time and don't steal your girlfriend !

GD

+1 for an SR16.

I bought mine about 15 years ago from memory.
What a fantastic little unit!
Ok, there are countless better drum machines around these days, but for it's age it serves me very, very well and has done for a long time.

I've used it recording, practicing, jamming with the band (when the drummer can't make it), live, everything.
I use the plug-in footswitch method of instigating fills where required. Works a treat!
Ok, I agree that programming it is a bugger, but once you have your head around it it all comes fairly easily.

Greg

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1337781126' post='1665356']
Yeah, Ableton live with a mid floor pedal to select parts sounds like the way to go to me.
[/quote]

It works for me - I road tested it live recently and it was great - the audience dug it too. Ableton rocks