Why become a member? ×

1 x 10 rehearsal cab options

cameltoe

Hi all,

My current setup is very easy- an orange bass terror, paired with an Ashdown LB212 cab that I bought at the same time as my LB head. It's a great combination- clear, punchy, lightweight, but being a vertical 2 x 12, it still takes a fair bit of lugging about now I've had to trade my van in for a family car! It pretty much takes up the whole boot on it's side. It's fine for gigs, but now feels a bit much for rehearsals, especially when I have to lug it up the stairs in my drummers house for weekly get togethers!

I had thought of purchasing a 1x10 cab to use for rehearsals- it will need to be relatively cheap, compact, and light. So far I've only seen as Ashdown Mi10 for £199.

I've also seen the Orange sp210 for sale on here, which I was hoping might do both jobs! Would it be loud enough for gigs though?

The Orange SP210 should be plenty loud enough for gigs - in fact, I`ve seen BurritoBass gig that very same set-up. Whether or not it has enough "depth of sound" well that`s for each user to determine.

I tried them out, and was amazed at how loud that set-up goes, but there just wasn`t the depth that I like.

If you did want to keep things small, maybe have a look at the Eden EX110. Same money as the Ashdown mi10 but claims to have a bit more power handling and is available in 8ohm as well as 4, if that makes any odds to you.

Get a 1x12, I have a 1x10, a 1x12 and a 2x12, the 1x12 is small enough to use at home if needed yet gets used for most gigs these days too, the 1x10 is really for home or rehearsal room volume only. If you have the bass Di'd the 1x12 will do almost any gig where the 1x10 will be farting at stage volume. :)

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1337711184' post='1664413']
4 ohms is always good with the Terror!
[/quote]

My only thought was that if you found a 1x10 or 1x12 that you liked the sound of and then fancied doubling up to get more of the same in a modular package, making your first cab a 4ohm would be limiting, particularly needlessly so given that the OTB is switchable.

All that said, I have 3x 4ohm cabs (112, 212 and 410) because I'm 99.something% sure that I've picked the right cabs to only need one for any given purpose, so you know, please don't think I'm saying you're wrong to go for the 4 :)

Ashdown vs112? Cheap and compact enough for a rehearsal cab. Not particularly light, but not bad.

Don't know about your LB212, but mine is SIGNIFICANTLY heavier than Ashdown claim at 27kg (Ashdown claim 14!). It's actually nearer the weight of the VS212 (31kg). Sounds good though, and fits perfectly in my car's boot, so I don't really mind that much.

Edited by Bigwan

IMO, a 110 is a practice monitor or a very quiet jazzer. A 112 is a better option for rehearsal but if there isn't much difference between rehearsal volume and gig volume, then you'll go to 2 anyway, IMO.
and then all you are doing is upgrading the 212 for 2x112 and the gain is portabilty against cost. The cheapest way to do this is Hy-drives or EBS classic 112, I'd venture...or get lucky second hand.

A Hartke kickback 1x12 will cover a lot of situations. Nice transparent sound, fair bit of depth/beef.
Rated at 120watts, but seems to 'throw' the sound right to the back of the room. Reasonably light. The DI seems a little hot for some mixers and doesn't like every XLR cable but apart from that it's a bargain and probably the only Hartke cab that interests me.

I think a good single 10" can be perfectly viable for many gigs. It really depends how loud your drummer and guitarist are. I've done quite a few gigs with a proper drum kit using an EA Wizzy 10 alone. It's been fine for me, as long it's a smallish room rather than a hall, and not just for civilised jazz gigs. It gives more mid-bass than girthy lows, but it sounds credible enough. I do take a 2x12" out for louder gigs though.