Why become a member? ×

Jap' Jazz bass

rogerstodge

You'll adore it if it's anything like the gorgeous one I bought. Ridiculous value for money, beautifully made. The guy I sold it to a year ago is in love with it still. I've gone back to Warwicks out of necessity, but if I wanted another Fender, Japanese non-export is what I would get without a microsecond of hesitation.

I have a CIJ Non-export '62 RI Jazz and it's outstanding.

I can honestly say (after lots of testing) that I would have been happy to pay Custom Shop money for mine, it's that good in isolation and compared to high-end Fender models.

I did, however, spend a long time hunting it down and bought from a respected source, but I have no doubt it'll be a great instrument and if you don't get on with it, there will be a queue of people ready to snap it up on here!

My main Fender is a 62 Reissue MIJ Jazz from the early 90s and the only weak point was the pickups, they weren't bad, but they weren't great either.

I put some better ones in (can't remember what) and transformed it, so much so I got rid of my pre CBS '62 Jazz because the Japanese one sounded and played exactly the same (although I really regret selling the '62 now, it'd be worth a fortune)

The quality of Japanese Fenders can be a little variable but generally there don't seem to be many poor ones, overall I'd say they're some of the best Fenders ever.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1337586251' post='1662193']
What is the difference between 'export' and 'non-export' CIJ Fenders. I only ask as I am about to receive a personally imported Fretless Precision 62 RI.
[/quote]

Non-export are made out of ash or alder instead of basswood, and have US hardware.

I have the 62 reissue from 92 , bought from the late OldGit. It's quite simply brilliant - only minor issue was the noisy pickups but I put split coil humbuckers in series into it and they are simply stunning. I'd love a partner precision for it