Why become a member? ×

Dr. Feelgood - She Does It Right

spongebob

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1337536655' post='1661584']
You're right. As that dadadadadadadada bit over the D seems to stand out the most, maybe chuck it in for a hybrid version.

And Sparko [i]is[/i] very under-rated. Gone back to doing roofing or something, such a shame.

Does anyone share my mad dream that Wilko might one day hire Sparko and The Figure for a re-union tour. Give Norm a chance for a kip and some vitamins...
[/quote]

Would be good wouldnt it. theres a clip of em together from the 2010 memorial on youtube, but the sound quality is bloody diabolical innit, as they'd say round their way.

[quote name='wayne58' timestamp='1337621528' post='1662969']
That's right, it was the Oil city confidential tour which gig were you at?
[/quote]

The Robin in Bilston. A splendid night, it was :)

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1337618360' post='1662898']
How can this be?
[/quote]

Well, Norm's tone was all watery and wobbly; and he was hurtling up and down the neck even more than usual. There was distinct lack of 'floor' to the proceedings.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the compliment.
It was a nice gig, I remember it was quite warm as the lights are low, or is the stage high?.....one or the other.
Great crowd and we were well looked after, the staff and sound man were really nice people.
We got a fairly decent press too, although one reviewer wasn't impressed with our nice clean suits and likened us to RBS employees which rather amused us.

[quote name='wayne58' timestamp='1337629204' post='1663206']
Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the compliment.
[/quote]

Gosh! :o I didn't realise it was you! Well, I'm glad the sentiment found its way home to you.

High stage at The Robin, IIRC. Anything planned for the future?

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1337630102' post='1663225']
Gosh! :o I didn't realise it was you! Well, I'm glad the sentiment found its way home to you.

High stage at The Robin, IIRC. Anything planned for the future?

[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]We are still gigging, mainly around Lancashire, details are on www.bigfigures.co.uk there is a link on my profile.
By the way Wilko, Norman and Dylan were really nice guys and it was a kick to be able to watch them in full swing....awesome.

I had intended to go the the Robin gig but I got distracted, Maybe next time around.

Always surprises me that there havent been more Dr Feelgood tribute acts than there are. I spose its partly cos yer average punter can only think of Milk & Alcholhol that they know.

Till they actually hear Roxette or Wind Up, they dont know who your talking about.

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1337633981' post='1663322']
I had intended to go the the Robin gig but I got distracted, Maybe next time around.

Always surprises me that there havent been more Dr Feelgood tribute acts than there are. I spose its partly cos yer average punter can only think of Milk & Alcholhol that they know.

Till they actually hear Roxette or Wind Up, they dont know who your talking about.
[/quote]

It's surprising how much material there is to go at, we had loads of stuff to choose from without encroaching on Wilko's classics and faves that he uses in his set.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1337522536' post='1661291']
Just joined an upbeat r'n'b trio to compliment my originals band.

It's all Dr. Feelgood type-stuff, regular mix of r'n'b and rock 'n' roll.

A couple of times, we've gone through 'She Does It Right'. Great song.

I've been playing it really simple, keeping it as hard-edged as possible. At the last rehearsal, the guitarist said that on the record, the bass part contains some chords!

I've had to go through the song on Youtube, etc, so the bass frequency isn't that great....so I can't really make out what's going on.

Anybody played this one before? How did you play it? Any tips on this so I can nail it before next rehearsal?
[/quote]

Thanks for starting this thread mate it's been a good one and I hope the info I gave you comes in handy.

[quote name='wayne58' timestamp='1337630745' post='1663235']
We are still gigging, mainly around Lancashire, details are on www.bigfigures.co.uk there is a link on my profile.[/quote]

Thanks for that, Wayne. I'll keep an eye on it in case you head down this way.

If anyone hadn't already noticed my fervour, I can confirm that Wayne's band is absolutely [i]top-notch[/i]. Feelgoods devotees should cancel all prior commitments and take in one of their gigs.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1337644134' post='1663503']
Thanks for that, Wayne. I'll keep an eye on it in case you head down this way.

If anyone hadn't already noticed my fervour, I can confirm that Wayne's band is absolutely [i]top-notch[/i]. Feelgoods devotees should cancel all prior commitments and take in one of their gigs.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]
Thanks very much for that, if anyone does come to gigs please come over for a chat.
It's always nice to meet fellow Basschatters.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1337584611' post='1662178'] You lucky man! must be great fun playing in a lively and energetic band like that. I've been trying to put a '[i]Feelgood[/i]' type band together for years, but just can't find enough interested musicians, although in my present band, our main guitarist loves Dr Feelgood and has all the '[i]Wilko[/i]' riffs off to a tee, our singer has nailed the vocals, and the other guitarist plays some mean harp! We do three '[i]Feegood[/i]' songs, and the punters love them, even if they are not familiar with them, trouble is, our drummer prefers a lot of the old classics. We only play pubs and some open-air events in the summer, and I feel that the punters are getting a bit bored with all the usual covers that most bands play up and down the country, seven nights a week. Just my opinion, of course! :unsure: [/quote]

What a bugger you're a bass player too, as I've been saying the same thing to our guitarist/harp player. AND I'm in Herts. Mind you. sounds like you're getting there by slipping some in to your sets.

[quote name='RichardH' timestamp='1337684494' post='1663850']
What a bugger you're a bass player too, as I've been saying the same thing to our guitarist/harp player. AND I'm in Herts. Mind you. sounds like you're getting there by slipping some in to your sets.
[/quote]
I advertised for a Dr Feelgood 'type' band on 'Joinmyband', in the Herts/Beds/BucksEssex areas, and managed to get together with quite a few musicians who all said they like Feelgood, but after a while they started suggesting totally different material to what I set out to do.

We do three or four with the guys I'm with now, and I have a great ally in our lead guitarist as he is a huge fan of Dr Feelgood, and he's been dropping more hints by belting out the '[i]All throught The City[/i]' riff at rehearsals, so maybe we will be doing that as well soon.
He's also into the 'Count Bishops' who were quite well known around the London area at the same time as Feelgood, there material falls into a similar catagory, so we have a few of their songs included in our set too, so we are starting to build up a set that is a bit different to what a lot of 'covers' bands do.
The drummer is the main stumbling block (lovely bloke mind), who really likes all the old classics, but he is slightly outnumbered, so maybe he will come round to our way of thinking one day.

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1337704099' post='1664293']
like this ?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5topYmtUxlA[/media]

If you look for it, theres some good Japanese Feelgood tributes on ebay - and some awful ones.
[/quote]
Cheers, I've just sent it to my guitarist!

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1337700475' post='1664178']
the 'Count Bishops' [/quote]

Cooooouuuunnnnt Biiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssshoooooooooooopppppppsssssssssssss!

Yay and, frankly, woot! :)

The Pub Rock Revival starts here. Black suits, beer, choppy rhythms and dodgy boilers.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1337712126' post='1664430']
Cooooouuuunnnnt Biiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssshoooooooooooopppppppsssssssssssss!

Yay and, frankly, woot! :)

The Pub Rock Revival starts here. Black suits, beer, choppy rhythms and dodgy boilers.
[/quote]

whats so funny bout peace love an understanding? :rolleyes:

oh and this...

[url="http://youtu.be/a8X1EKyhLHw"]http://youtu.be/a8X1EKyhLHw[/url]

Edited by steve-bbb

• 2 months later...

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1337522536' post='1661291']
Just joined an upbeat r'n'b trio to compliment my originals band.

It's all Dr. Feelgood type-stuff, regular mix of r'n'b and rock 'n' roll.

A couple of times, we've gone through 'She Does It Right'. Great song.

I've been playing it really simple, keeping it as hard-edged as possible. At the last rehearsal, the guitarist said that on the record, the bass part contains some chords!

I've had to go through the song on Youtube, etc, so the bass frequency isn't that great....so I can't really make out what's going on.

Anybody played this one before? How did you play it? Any tips on this so I can nail it before next rehearsal?
[/quote]

I like it this way, no need to master the Bass Line at all. some good energetic R & B on here if you check out the other bands. Fun - like its meant to be.

[url="http://tot-channel.co.uk/007-leeb/allstars20090407.htm"]http://tot-channel.c...ars20090407.htm[/url]

3 Chords seem to be big in Japan. :D

Edited by BRANCINI

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1344531998' post='1766130']
I play it on the 10th fret (G) and play the 12th and 13th fret on the D string also to give it that bluesey feel but im not strumming a chord...
Didn't explain that very well did i ....
[/quote]

Makes sense, shall give it a go :D