Why become a member? ×

Dr. Feelgood - She Does It Right

spongebob

Just joined an upbeat r'n'b trio to compliment my originals band.

It's all Dr. Feelgood type-stuff, regular mix of r'n'b and rock 'n' roll.

A couple of times, we've gone through 'She Does It Right'. Great song.

I've been playing it really simple, keeping it as hard-edged as possible. At the last rehearsal, the guitarist said that on the record, the bass part contains some chords!

I've had to go through the song on Youtube, etc, so the bass frequency isn't that great....so I can't really make out what's going on.

Anybody played this one before? How did you play it? Any tips on this so I can nail it before next rehearsal?

Not so much chords as an interval chug over the last chord at the end of the bridge which supports the solo, IIRC.

From recollection (and assuming you're playing in the original key of G) Sparko lays a barre finger across the neck and plays a simple two-note blues-type shuffle part over the chord of D. The one where you play root and fifth, root and one tone above fifth (you can see theory's my weakness).

Whether he barres at the 10th and plays it using the E and A strings or at the twelth fret using the D and G strings escapes me.

Dada-dada-dada-dada-dada-da-dahhh.

Basically the old Status Quo rhythm and let the end note ring before returning to the G (assuming that's the key you're in, as per the original).

This should get you started. Hopefully someone else can verify / amend this. :)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1337530590' post='1661464']

Whether he barres at the 10th and plays it using the E and A strings or at the twelth fret using the D and G strings escapes me.

Dada-dada-dada-dada-dada-da-dahhh.

This should get you started. Hopefully someone else can verify / amend this. :)
[/quote]

On the tenth,

And its Da da da, da, da da da, da, dadadadadadada

I dont play with a pick, so it dont sound quite the same, but I just play the G on the tenth, and lift off to deaden the string.

I've just been and had a look on youtube.

Sparko seems to play most of the song up around the tenth - almost like he's playing a rtm guitar part. I've loved this song for 35 years or so and never noticed. What a muppet I am. :rolleyes:

And Brancini's right on the nail with his dadas - please ignore my feeble effort.

You can quite clearly see what Sparko's playing here:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrSx700tJ5Q[/media]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1337532727' post='1661503']
I've just been and had a look on youtube.

Sparko seems to play most of the song up around the tenth - almost like he's playing a rtm guitar part. I've loved this song for 35 years or so and never noticed. What a muppet I am. :rolleyes:

And Brancini's right with his dadas - please ignore my feeble effort.

You can quite clearly see what Sparko's playing here:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrSx700tJ5Q[/media]
[/quote]

Love that version, and the pier one ( going back home video). Sparko' s very underrated I reckon.

There aint a right and wrong way though is there ? Norman plays it on the 3rd fret and that sounds good as well.

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1337533771' post='1661531']
There aint a right and wrong way though is there ? [/quote]

You're right. As that dadadadadadadada bit over the D seems to stand out the most, maybe chuck it in for a hybrid version.

And Sparko [i]is[/i] very under-rated. Gone back to doing roofing or something, such a shame.

Does anyone share my mad dream that Wilko might one day hire Sparko and The Figure for a re-union tour. Give Norm a chance for a kip and some vitamins...

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1337522536' post='1661291']

>>Really jealous!!

>Really jealous!!

At the last rehearsal, the guitarist said that on the record, the bass part contains some chords!

>>Really jealous you have a perceptive guitarist!!

[/quote]

Yes it would be great to see them together again. I've not managed to get to one yet but they're listed as sharing the stage at Lee Brilleaux memorials on Canvey. Seeing them together on camera and the subsequent success of Oil City Confidential I'd have thought it would have happened by now if it was going to. Wilco commands a higher profile and bigger gigs since the film so I wouldn't expect more than maybe future memorial gigs or maybe to receive an overdue industry gong.

Be great if they did though and its always good to dream!

[quote name='Booooooom' timestamp='1337541750' post='1661705']
Be great if they did though and its always good to dream![/quote]

Indeed. Here's one off youtube that I hadn't seen before. The Feelgoods perform for the bemused inhabitants of a small French town.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0Q9Zc7nZjw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0Q9Zc7nZjw[/url]

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1337533771' post='1661531']
Love that version, and the pier one ( going back home video). Sparko' s very underrated I reckon.

There aint a right and wrong way though is there ? Norman plays it on the 3rd fret and that sounds good as well.
[/quote]

Sparko is playing like a Quo style rhythm guitarist.

I play this one fairly regularly, it is indeed at the tenth fret.
Sparko used this on a few tunes and it fitted quite well with Wilko's guitar style.
I use a fairly flexible plec and find it easier to play it nice and relaxed.

[quote name='wayne58' timestamp='1337544989' post='1661818']
Sparko used this on a few tunes and it fitted quite well with Wilko's guitar style.[/quote]

Oooh! Which ones, if you don't mind me asking? :)

I feel a Sparko evening coming on and - having proved my utter cluelessness in the thread above - it would be nice to get them right!

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1337522536' post='1661291']

I've been playing it really simple, keeping it as hard-edged as possible. At the last rehearsal, the guitarist said that on the record, the bass part contains some chords!

I've had to go through the song on Youtube, etc, so the bass frequency isn't that great....so I can't really make out what's going on.

Anybody played this one before? How did you play it? Any tips on this so I can nail it before next rehearsal?
[/quote]
You lucky man! must be great fun playing in a lively and energetic band like that.

I've been trying to put a '[i]Feelgood[/i]' type band together for years, but just can't find enough interested musicians, although in my present band, our main guitarist loves Dr Feelgood and has all the '[i]Wilko[/i]' riffs off to a tee, our singer has nailed the vocals, and the other guitarist plays some mean harp!
We do three '[i]Feegood[/i]' songs, and the punters love them, even if they are not familiar with them, trouble is, our drummer prefers a lot of the old classics.
We only play pubs and some open-air events in the summer, and I feel that the punters are getting a bit bored with all the usual covers that most bands play up and down the country, seven nights a week.

Just my opinion, of course! :unsure:

been a big fan of them since i discovered them when at school back in 76

buddy buddy friends and shes a windup are good ones to play too

tis a shame that the mainstream media insists on only playing milk and alcohol when they have so much more great material in their catalogue

A mate interviewed Wilko recently, apparently the new biog is excellent.[list=1]
[*]

[url="http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fprogrammes%2Fb01hlmw5&h=LAQFB_jXs"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01hlmw5[/url]
[/list]

[quote name='wayne58' timestamp='1337591970' post='1662286']
A mate interviewed Wilko recently, apparently the new biog is excellent.
[/quote]

If your mate is Mr Radcliffe, I saw his Feelgoods outfit supporting Wilko last year. Fantastic gig and outstanding work by the band. Mr R channelled Brilleaux while projecting his own presence and personality. I'd pay good money to see them again with a longer set.

And - whisper it softly - the bass player blew Norm away (S[i]ensation! Cries of "How can this be?"[/i]). Lovely tone, fluid yet solid as the proverbial.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1337616872' post='1662862']
If your mate is Mr Radcliffe, I saw his Feelgoods outfit supporting Wilko last year. Fantastic gig and outstanding work by the band. Mr R channelled Brilleaux while projecting his own presence and personality. I'd pay good money to see them again with a longer set.

And - whisper it softly - the bass player blew Norm away (S[i]ensation! Cries of "How can this be?"[/i]). Lovely tone, fluid yet solid as the proverbial.
[/quote]

How can this be?