Why become a member? ×

String change before recordings?

El Bajo

I'm due in the studio on Thursday (Damn I love saying that, in reality its someones shed and a laptop) and I've had my string on for about a month. I can't make my mind up, do I go for the nicely worn in strings or get a fresh set on there? Baring in mind its dropped tunings anyway.

Also I have the choice between Rotosound or D'Addario, what do you guys think?

Ta

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1337079694' post='1654951']
Sheds and laptops make the best studios. Bands get noticed off the back of home recordings. Real studios kill feeling.
[/quote]

I'm not sure I agree with that. A person on the desk with good gear and a good ear who knows what he's doing will have a much better shot at capturing the 'feel' of a band.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1337080877' post='1654978']
I'm not sure I agree with that. A person on the desk with good gear and a good ear who knows what he's doing will have a much better shot at capturing the 'feel' of a band.
[/quote]No doubt. If you can afford him/her. I do prefer an edgy sound which is best captured on the fly and doesn't require a highly paid genius.

Leave them. Take new ones with you then it's easy to change to them if the old ones aren't bright enough. You could also argue that you could have a few run throughs on the old set then start recording proper with a brand new set.

Stretch them well when you put them on - and in the studio tune around the area of the fretboard you'll be spending most time rather than open strings.

I think I will go and buy some just in case the tech bertates me. I play 6 string but in this band I generally just bounce along on the D (E) and A so I will probably just get a set of 5. I'm using a 105 for the E so I may try a 110

I did think of that hehe but there is one song that is a bit busy. And also in my own time I play all sorts.

just in case anybody is wondering, or in fact bothered here's a dirty demo of our upcoming EP :ph34r: . Wait for the chorus...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86GGkSSJW1o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86GGkSSJW1o[/url]

Anthony Jackson puts fresh strings on for each take! :blink:

Two weeks to a month is usually when I feel strings sound their best, not too bright but not dead either (well most brands anyway)

I'd take a new set and some tools in case you don't get the sound you want.

Faster attack on the vox compression will sort out those spikes at the beginning of each vocal line. Just a thought. Also, try and get the 'engineer' to make the bass audible in the mix for small systems ie laptop speakers. We need more mids in bass nowadays and less sub bass. My mates a bugger for mixing on hifi speakers which doesn't work when most folk listen online.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1337083590' post='1655059']
Also, try and get the 'engineer' to make the bass audible in the mix for small systems ie laptop speakers. We need more mids in bass nowadays and less sub bass. My mates a bugger for mixing on hifi speakers which doesn't work when most folk listen online.
[/quote]

You fix that by creating the appropriate master for each delivery mechanism.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1337079694' post='1654951']
Sheds and laptops make the best studios. Bands get noticed off the back of home recordings. Real studios kill feeling.
[/quote]

With all due respect - that is utter rubbish.

You've clearly never been in on a really good tracking session, in a decent studio.

New strings everytime - absolutely definitelywith that genre. You can get brilliance eq'ed out with a gentle cut, you cant add harmonic content into the sound of old strings, and that is what will make the bass heard against the guitars and over laptop speakers.

Old strings maybe OK for MoTown (not necessarily tru either in fact ) but they are definietly the right way to go for rock, pop, funk, and pretty much everything else when recording.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1337086993' post='1655136']
With all due respect - that is utter rubbish.

You've clearly never been in on a really good tracking session, in a decent studio.

New strings everytime - absolutely definitelywith that genre. You can get brilliance eq'ed out with a gentle cut, you cant add harmonic content into the sound of old strings, and that is what will make the bass heard against the guitars and over laptop speakers.

Old strings maybe OK for MoTown (not necessarily tru either in fact ) but they are definietly the right way to go for rock, pop, funk, and pretty much everything else when recording.
[/quote]pah! Studios are expensive versions of a laptop and a couple of decent mics.