Why become a member? ×

Yamaha - suggest for me a bass.

mrtcat

I recently traded a bass for a yamaha BBG5 here and have to say for a bass worth under £200 it has absolutely blown me away. With new strings it sounds incredible. So so so much growl and it cuts through brilliantly. It has very quickly become the only bass I play and have had so many comments about how good it sounds from band members and other bass players.
Now this bass aint going anywhere but it's a little tired looking which in itself isn't a problem. I'd really like to get something with a similar sound but a bit posher from the Yamaha range. Any suggestions (other than another BBG5)? Btw I can't Stand the look of the newer BB415 basses.

It might be worth looking into the older models of the TRB, I'd suggest having a browse through the old for sale items on here to get a feel for what they go for. I've got a newer model of the TRB1006 that I picked up second hand for a bit over £400 a few years ago, it's an incredible bass for the money so I can only imagine how great the older neck-thru models might be.

I really like the passive BB series basses, really powerful PJ basses and they look the business! RBX775s are great and aggressive sounding if you can find one, though I personally didn't get on with it. Also, you can never go wrong with a nice TRB, I think everyone here will agree with that!

you should be able to pick one of these up for around 300-400 used - rrp new is about 800 ish [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/105826-yamaha-appreciation-thread/page__st__100__p__1596464#entry1596464"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/105826-yamaha-appreciation-thread/page__st__100__p__1596464#entry1596464[/url]

+1 for TRB Mk 1. Had my TRB5 for over 10 years now, lovely bass, a regular gigging companion and one I keep returning to. I bought it used and had the chance to play it back to back with a Mk II which just felt nowhere near as good to me. Don't know what it is but there's something about the early TRBs that's a bit special.

[attachment=107839:P1020722.jpg]

Edited by ikay

If you can handle 6 strings, you could do a lot worse than an RBXJM1. So versatile it's unbelievable. Ebony fretboard, interesting inlays, great pickups, stunning looks....selling mine is the only serious regret of my life :(

Truckstop