Why become a member? ×

my new bass doesn't like most of my leads

alyctes

Okay, this is probably a n00b question, but I figure I'd rather be corrected by the members of a technically-knowledgeable forum than by some bloke in a guitar shop :)

Recently I bought a Vox Custom four-string from a member here. I've had some difficulty with it because it only works with one of my leads. After some experimenting, I can now tell which leads won't work when I plug them in - the socket on the bass seems to pop the plug back out a touch (maybe half a millimetre). The one lead which works is a 6.35mm jack, mono. As far as I can tell it's the same shape as all the others. I've looked carefully at it and the other leads, and I can't see any difference in shape. I got it second-hand with another bass, so I have no idea whether there is anything exotic about it.

I'm a tad uneasy about this, because it seems to contradict everything I know about plugging the thing in, and because I've only got one lead which works.

The only thing I can think of which might explain this is that if I solo the P-pup, one of the switches on the bass lets me select the upper half of the pup, the lower half of the pup, or both. (That is, the top two strings, the bottom two strings, or all four.) That sounds as if it might be some sort of "stereo" selector, which I gather Rick basses can do (never played one, no idea).

Can anyone suggest what's going on, please? All advice gratefully received :)

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1336804631' post='1651232']
You probably just need a new jack socket.
[/quote]

+1

The socket relies on the 'springiness' of the contacts to work.
As for why one lead works, it'll be down to the shape of the tip (although 6.35mm is the agreed diameter of a jack plug, the shape of the tip is pretty much a free for all).

Get that socket changed and you'll fix the problem - they're only a couple of quid if you're capable of soldering and I'd expect change out of £20 if you take it into a shop and have them do it for you. :)

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1337081354' post='1654997']
I've mentioned this before but everyone seemed to disagree and I'm probably wrong but I'll say it again for fun. Leads are either 6mm or 1/4" (6.35mm)
[/quote]
Most of mine are a tad longer than that... :rolleyes:

I've mentioned this before but everyone seemed to disagree and I'm probably wrong but I'll say it again for fun. Leads are either 6mm or 1/4" (6.35mm)
[/quote]

OK.
How we gonna do it this time?

Should we tell him in alphabetical order or do we take tickets and wait for our number to be called..? ;)

You'll find people describing the plugs as '6mm', '6.3mm', '6.5mm', '6.35mm' and '1/4'.

In real terms, the connector doesn't have to be that accurate - if a maximum difference of 0.35mm is going to stop it from working, then it's busted anyway. :)

However, if you think about the logistics of manufacturing plugs, how likely is it that a jack plug machine manufacturer is going to bother offering all of those sizes?

[/quote]
Just to extract one highlight from that tb thread that you linked, Neutrik say their jacks are 6.29mm (according to the technical drawing download available from [url="http://www.neutrik.com/en/audio/plugs-and-jacks/px-series/np2x"]http://www.neutrik.c.../px-series/np2x[/url]). So if these differences matter, then there seems to be more choice than simply 6 or 6.35.

I had a similar problem which was down to the springy bit on the socket (that connects to the tip of the plug) being close against the cut-out in the body. This meant it had very limited distance to move making it more difficult to get the plug in and out and sometimes pushing the plug out a bit.

The solution was to rotate it by about 90 degrees.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1337157387' post='1656219']
Just to extract one highlight from that tb thread that you linked, Neutrik say their jacks are 6.29mm (according to the technical drawing download available from [url="http://www.neutrik.com/en/audio/plugs-and-jacks/px-series/np2x"]http://www.neutrik.c.../px-series/np2x[/url]). So if these differences matter, then there seems to be more choice than simply 6 or 6.35.
[/quote]

We're talking 60 microns difference - it doesn't matter in this context. Let's face it if the hole in the socket is 6.35mm/ 1/4" then you wouldn't want to try and get a 6.35mm/ 1/4" plug down it!
I don't believe that anyone makes a 6.0mm jack plug, when they say 6mm they mean 6.35mm. Even if someone does make a 6.0mm plug then it would still work fine in 6.35mm socket due to the way the contacts are sprung.

Had a look at various drawings of sockets on their site, but couldn't find any that actually specified the hole diameter.

With regard to the OP - as others have said, your socket's probably faulty/worn/dirty.

You might try cleaning the inside of the socket barrel (if its that sort of socket) with some emery or a plastic pan scourer type thing (Scotchbrite).
Also you can bend the spring contact / retainer to make the plug sit and be retained correctly (clean it while you're in there).....

Or just buy and fit a new one, as already suggested.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1337088108' post='1655162']
It's not a planet waves cable by anychance is it? Some of these can have a little "spring" type area on the jack which I suspect is meant to make it grip better. Doesn't always work in reality though :P
[/quote]

If the previous owner used Planet Waves cables it may have opened out the contacts a touch, making non PW cables a sloppy fit.
Wouldn't be the first time I've heard that.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1337157387' post='1656219']
[/quote]

6.29 with what tolerances? And the tolerances are symmetric or asymmetric?
I bet that from any one manufacturer you have a wide (tolerable) range, since the accuracy necessary is not tremendous.

I'd stay away from those very tight Planet Waves cables, 'though. Nice and tight, but not very nice for the socket over time and it's not necessary to be so tight. I've been using Neutrik plugs for as long as I can remember and they work very well in every instrument I've had.

To the OP: yup, like others said, I'd just install a new socket. No point having and unreliable socket. They are cheap and easy to install. Good luck! :)

Edited by mcnach